Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,279 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

fussyonion wrote: »
    Tonight we had steak (currently on offer at €8 for two big ones, from SuperValu), served with mini potatoes and green beans.
    Simple but delicious as I've not been well and not eating so it was very nice :)

Those steaks are divine - had one of them last night with mash, mushrooms, onions and gravy mmmmm

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Shenshen wrote: »

Lesson learned, next time the tamarind goes in in very, very small portions with lots of tasing in between until it's just right.

Not too much tasing - you still want to be conscious to enjoy your meal ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

leahyl wrote: »
    Those steaks are divine - had one of them last night with mash, mushrooms, onions and gravy mmmmm

Gorgeous, aren't they? I love that the fat's on the edge so it can be removed easily.
    They're so juicy and we season ours with Schwartz Steak seasoning, which makes them even more delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,773 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

fussyonion wrote: »
    I love that the fat's on the edge so it can be removed easily.

No, no, no! Use a tongs to hold the steak on-edge & crisp that fat up. There's nothing as tasty as crisped beef fat. I wouldn't eat a huge amount of it, mind you. It also adds real depth of flavour to gravy if you deglaze the pan after.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Makood

No, no, no! Use a tongs to hold the steak.
    +10 million!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Okay, okay,

here's the first night sukiyaki

WP_000874_zpssrewk4fz.jpg

and I think I was a tad optimistic. It's simply impossible to keep up with what everyone's eating when eating out. Everyone orders several small dishes and samples each. Though last night was an exception. Felt like a ten course dinner. jay-sus!

The breakfasts are a more stable affair. I can cope with that every day...

As a bonus, I can buy alcohol today. If I wanted to!!!

Very quickly,
    last night's starter.

from bottom right corner, rape seed, pickle, seaweed, next I forget, top left squid, top centre green beans, moji???, rat tail radish.
    In the centre was egg. That was fab.
    WP_001305_zps1qqigeqi.jpg

next up, an eggy soup,
    WP_001306_zpstm0nupyz.jpg

with, they said shark fin...hmmm, looked like angel noodles to me..
    WP_001307_zps4lqw4aol.jpg

Bream, on a thick slice of onion. this was good too. The green thing is okra. A first for me.
    WP_001309_zpszojurgeh.jpg

The white things are fish, underneath, I can't even remember and it was only 10 hours ago. I think it was egg again.
    WP_001310_zps1pq8naos.jpg

The stuff in the blue dish above is green salt. (who knew?! Not me anyway)

Ice cream, to cleanse the pallete. (sp?)
    WP_001313_zpspuyk2tw7.jpg

Beef wrapped around vegetables, the white stuff in the small dish is potatoes over mixed veg, tomatoes etc.
    WP_001314_zpsymvhzyse.jpg

Fried tofu wrapped around rice. The red stuff on the right is plum.
    WP_001318_zps1sjh81op.jpg
    Miso soup to the right.

Nearly there.
    A type of creme anglaise, I think. With fresh fruit. Lovely
    WP_001320_zpsd6ajoxk1.jpg

Finally a coffee in a delightful cup.
    WP_001321_zpsxxxaehni.jpg

that blue paper in the background is the menu. Both sides are written on!

right, in a mad rush, got to go. You can be sure I'll be held waiting when I leave the hotel room!!!

gotchisosema! (something like that!)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Tampopo, I am horribly, horribly envious.

kylith wrote: »
    Tampopo, I am horribly, horribly envious.

Oh yeah, that red thing below the creme anglaise type thing is cactus, but we don't know which part, seed,fruit,flower etc etc.

And the thing beneath the small white individual fishes is bamboo of some sort shape or description!

Tonight's affair will be a more modest event. "Less volume" I'm told! (I thought we wouldn't have to listen to any more of that jazz that was playing throughout last night, but it's less amount, not quieter!)

Excuse me while I head off for a soak, one at 38c and another at 40-42c.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Where is that? I'd hope that nobody is selling shark fin in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

RasTa wrote: »
    Where is that? I'd hope that nobody is selling shark fin in Ireland

He's in Japan, the lucky backsteward. From the description it sounds like it could be ray wings which are technically shark fins.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Should not eat shark fin soup.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Should not eat shark fin soup.

No doubt there's a forum suited to discussing the ethics of eating shark fin, but I'm afraid this isn't it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I made a beast of myself by eating a seafood (Sharing platter for two :o) from Kanum. Delicious.

A more modest affair.

WP_001413_zpsjv44tlp3.jpg
    Bream with teriyaki sauce and a shoshi leaf. Salad, miso soup and a bowl of rice. Kind of yoghurt with a drop of fruit in it.

Beeru! And a glass of Sangre de Toro at second prompting...

In a Japanese retirement home. There was a choice of burger and egg. And two of four of the others.
    WP_001417_zpssyw1m12x.jpg
    Think Cocoon! There's a magical onsen in the place!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

That all looks amazing Tampopo (apart from the thing I'm not allowed mantion:mad:).

From a few nights back:

Duck confit.
    Fried polenta cake.
    Grilled aubergine.
    Braised fennel with orange.

7hW8ux.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Bit of a failure tonight. I made chorizo and bean burgers, from a BBC Good Food site. Blitzed chorizo plus the meat from a couple of sausages, half a can of mixed beans, juice of half a lime and some coriander. Bound together with an egg.

The recipe said to first fry and then finish in the oven. They were breaking up when I turned them, and when I transferred them to the oven, and half ended up on the plate when putting them on the buns.

But the taste was DELICIOUS!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Scallion mash, peas and fish (smoked haddock & seabass) here tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Fondue. Between 5 of us we ate all that cheese plus all that bread (coke can to scale for length & it was a foot wide at its widest part) and then my aunt came home with fish and chips and I had some of that too :(

Crippled after. Brought the dog for a walk and complained solidly for 4km about my concrete filled belly. I've never seen a dog so eager to get home and be left alone for a few minutes.

WTARPkK.jpg
    FyLQ1Di.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Fondue. Between 5 of us we ate all that cheese plus all that bread (coke can to scale for length & it was a foot wide at its widest part) and then my aunt came home with fish and chips and I had some of that too :(

Crippled after. Brought the dog for a walk and complained solidly for 4km about my concrete filled belly. I've never seen a dog so eager to get home and be left alone for a few minutes.

http://i.imgur.com/WTARPkK.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/FyLQ1Di.jpg

That looks amazing but i have heartburn just reading your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

Miss flitworth where do you get the burner fuel for the fondue set .

gjc wrote: »
    Miss flitworth where do you get the burner fuel for the fondue set .

It's very hard to get those burners; some kitchen shops have them, or you can get them on the internet.

I gave up and bought an electric version in Lidl. It's great; an even heat that you can control. Much better than the temperamental flame.

katydid wrote: »
    It's very hard to get those burners; some kitchen shops have them, or you can get them on the internet.

I gave up and bought an electric version in Lidl. It's great; an even heat that you can control. Much better than the temperamental flame.
    The fondue set I have came with gel fuel but I have run out ..... I came to conclusion that I may not be able to get via the net seeing as it's a flammable ... I've been trying camping and hardware shops but they don't have them ....your fondue night looks fab miss flitworth

The fondue set I have came with gel fuel but I have run out ..... I came to conclusion that I may not be able to get via the net seeing as it's a flammable ... I've been trying camping and hardware shops but they don't have them ....your fondue night looks fab miss flitworth

That's why I resorted to the electric version. I used to buy the gel packs in France when I used to take the car over, but then I started going to France less, and I didn't think I'd get them through security in an airport anyway.

I've often wondered if a group of tea lights underneath the pot would work...

Tried it not enough heat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

Try sweeney and o'rourke on pearse street if you're in Dublin. The gel fuel is used a lot in the catering industry for Chafing Dishes etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I didn't buy them myself but the gel burners for last night's fondue came from Stock at Stephen's Green (Dublin). We had that conversation because someone managed to tip one all over the table :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

i295x0.jpg

Taco lasagna. With home made salsa and guac. And some sour cream and chips.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,773 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Beef Pad Kra Prow with stir fried veg. Nyommmmm!

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/66275/344106.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement