Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

kylith wrote: »
    He's in Japan, the lucky backsteward. From the description it sounds like it could be ray wings which are technically shark fins.

Is a ray wing considered as a sharks fin?
    I would have thought a ray wing was the entire ray(I know that ray is a type of shark)and not just the fin? Genuinely curious as I adore ray :)

Slow cooked sirloin beef joint with spinach mash and kale and sprouts(just realised thats a lot of green veg!).
    Was okay, over did the beef slightly(got distracted :rolleyes:)and the gravy made from the stock was complained about as was thought to be too salty. I thought it was grand :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Last night we had kangaroo steaks, with a topping of chorizo mushrooms and red onion, with two kinds of sweet potato - one with paprika and the other with a Nigerian spice. The Nigerian spice was for himself only as it's very hot. Sauces along the side (of his dish) are teriyaki and fruity habanero.

It was good. Kangaroo would be his favourite meat, but I prefer the ostrich steaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Smidge wrote: »
    Is a ray wing considered as a sharks fin?
    I would have thought a ray wing was the entire ray(I know that ray is a type of shark)and not just the fin? Genuinely curious as I adore ray :)

Who knows what it'd be on a Japanese menu as. I'm only really going by the description and wishful thinking!

I stopped off at Enoteca for a late dinner last night.

11134159_10152950929949652_4121839467536682430_n_zpsox5eyvb5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

We had fajitas last night, filled with smokey beer and lime cauliflower (recipe from the Thug Kitchen cookbook), roasted mixed vegetables, fresh salsa, guacamole and fresh lettuce and cucumber.

Too delicious to have lasted long enough for pictures, I'm afraid.

And now I've got some of the beer and lime spicey stock left over, I'm thinking that that might make a good base for an Asian-style noodle soup for Monday's lunch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Chicken thighs marinated in mole paste & roasted, served with potatoes roasted in chipotle hot sauce (I'm a bit in love with cubed potatoes roasted in oil and any hot sauce at all at the mo. Hot, vinegary goodness). Topped with sour cream, sliced onion, feta cubes and toasted sesame seeds. Tasty but probably wouldn't go back to mole paste as a marinade again and just use it as a sauce on the finished product, whatever that might be.

Going up to people and saying 'MOLE-A' in their ears was fun though.

• Advertisement

Tonight we had rib eye steaks in a whiskey & cream sauce, potato gratin and garlic mushrooms. This is normally a gorgeous meal but tonight it was OMGOSH gorgeous. Barely time to eat it for exclaiming. Best gratin ever. Possibly because there was nearly as much cheese as potato. Also we consumed all our dairy fats for the next 2 weeks in one meal.

Ah, happy.

bw3U8yn.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,773 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Slow roast leg of lamb today. The meat was dripping off the bone. Mrs Billy declared it to be the best lamb ever. It would be hard to disagree, TBH. Big shout out to Des Byrne Butchers in Skerries!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

After a wedding on Good Friday and a family gathering on Saturday, we had nothing in the fridge for Easter Sunday. Dinner was venison massaman curry made with some shanks I had in the freezer. Very tender meat after two and a half hours in the oven.

Shops open today, so it will have to be a roast dinner this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Slow roast leg of lamb today. The meat was dripping off the bone. Mrs Billy declared it to be the best lamb ever. It would be hard to disagree, TBH. Big shout out to Des Byrne Butchers in Skerries!
    I see lamb gets mentioned a lot on here, but gosh, I dunno. I had a bad experience with lamb shish kebabs from Superquinn a few years ago. Several years ago and I swore off lamb for good...Living with an evangelical vegetarian doesn't help matters...

tonight's dinner.
    WP_001708_zpsdghnq4bp.jpg

This thing above was on a gas burner....as you can see, I had tempura too.
    WP_001711_zpsomoevrgq.jpg

A slice of bamboo with a slit in it, serves as a menu holder
    WP_001706_zpssbbnl5ud.jpg

comme ca...
    I'll edit in the menu, address of restaurant and other stuff later...This is the restaurant name..
    WP_001705_zpsn4uysdnz.jpg

This is what I ordered as a side dish. Chicken with spicey soy sauce, Sanshoyaki.
    WP_001710_zpsqonr5dya.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

tampopo wrote: »
    Living with an evangelical vegetarian

Commiserations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

Mushroom & bacon pasta- sunny day food!

First time trying tender stem broccoli- I prefer normal broccoli.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

I made a ramen type thing. Was quite nice!

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/722004/344225.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,468 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

tampopo wrote: »

tonight's dinner.
    <Nope, you're not supposed to quote pictures ;)>

I know we're not supposed to quote pics but .....
    Love the holding hands while taking photo to post on Boards bit!!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Homemade kebabs from the Cooking Club. Totally scrumptious!

kebab_zpsccxxklgf.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

5tyzco.jpg

Baked maple mustard salmon with carrot salad and a zingy potato salad.

My photo flipped sideways. How weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,773 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

2nd barbecue of the season. The peasants had burgers & wedges with salad. I crisped up leftovers from yesterday's lamb & had it with an Asian-style slaw. The lamb really should have been marinaded before I re-cooked it - maybe soy & a bit of honey. Delish nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭polydactyl

http://i61.tinypic.com/2iixu9c.jpg

Unexpectedly at home for dinner so had to make it up and turned into a delicious bacon fried rice. Will definately be having it again.... For a treat. Sorry about pic only remembered after starting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭EITS

20150406_165946.jpg

Still full from it, and the other one I had with a slightly runny fried egg :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Mater Paneer with rice, coriander naan and really spicy pickles.

With the rest of the weekend's chocolate swiss roll for dessert (no pics of that, sorry)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Had a really scrumptious dinner this evening. I did a roast sirloin of beef from Dwyers, the amazing butchers in the Merrion Centre (it's half price at the moment), did it with cauliflower cheese with smoked bacon lardons, mangetout, roast sweet potato for me and roast potato for my lovely hubby and then he made a sublime and very rich gravy from the meat juices, nyummykins. Washed down with a thoroughly delish Cote Du Rhone which is also on offer at the moment. http://www.obrienswine.ie/wine/reserve-de-bonpas-cdr.html

Oh Merkin. That looks aces.

We had steak sandwiches (thinly sliced rare Lidl flatirons, caramelised onion, dijon, little bit of cheese) and reheated God's Own Gratin from last night.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

After three takeaways in a row (chipper, Thai and Chinese), tonight we had Aldi ribeye steaks with dauphinoise potatoes, caramelised red onions, mushrooms and slow roasted tomatoes. Amazing - those Aldi steaks never disappoint :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

A wrap with hummus, king prawns, and spinach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Managed to sneak a few handfuls of fresh onion tops from the garden and salvaged the last of my spinach beet from the ridges and had them with fresh ducks eggs from up the road. Paired with some homemade coleslaw and loads of tomatoes. Omnomnom. God I love duck eggs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Ah jesus christ. Im starving now... why did I come into this thread :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Sunday was bacon and cabbage.

Tonight was Apache pizza. We spent most of the day in IKEA so cooking wasn't something either of us were in the mood for, plus himself at a meeting this evening anyway so take away was our preferred option.

Think on Saturday it was lamb stew and mushroom soup (he doesn't like lamb stew :()

Tomorrow is mushroom and bacon pasta. Not sure what we'll have on Tuesday, maybe fish again, it was lovely on Friday so might do it again, would be nice for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

I know we're not supposed to quote pics but .....
    Love the holding hands while taking photo to post on Boards bit!!!! :)

More an exchange of a bowl of soy sauce! I had taken a second photo and intended to use it, but tiredness made me forget!!!

We had a change of scene today and yesterday. dinner was in a restaurant here
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maruyama_Park

and this was it...WP_001756_zpscmvkxlju.jpg
    tofu and large scallions/leek being boiled up, with some greens. Bowl of rice to the far left. Tempura in the background. Fish. (Unknown, just get it into you) More tofu on the right and the rest is a mix of pickles and scallions, esp the bottom centre, the green is the scallions.
    Washed down with several bottles of sake. Though they are small bottles, in fairness!
    No daylight savings time here. Dark at 7pm. Shame, really.

2br4eu.jpg

A few widow's memories lookin pretty tasty there

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Spaghetti bolognese this evening. looks nicer than it was :/ not enough sauce.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement