Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Quorn au vin :)

Not bad at all, actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Roast chicken in maple, tamari, ginger and turmeric marinade, served with quinoa cooked in chicken broth, and mixed salad. The others had buttery mash, marrowfat peas and steamed carrots.

IMG_20150407_195524_zpsvabib4s8.jpg

And for dessert.........

IMG_20150407_195451_zpsjdupyjtz.jpg

It's all about balance... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

A few widow's memories lookin pretty tasty there

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,773 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Where do I start? I walked in the door from work & was handed a pint glass of ice-cold cider & told to go chill in the garden. Got to the garden & there were steaks & corn just finishing. Out came new spuds & asparagus in melted butter & black pepper. Super dins with the Billy Family in the evening sun after a hard day stuck in the office.

Sweet Jebus - what a treat! :)<3

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Roast chicken this evening. I did make pasta but mammy made a roast chicken dinner so I caved, and the pasta will be eaten tomorrow.

Would really love a medium cooked striploin, some salad and new potatoes smothered in butter and chopped scallions with a nice cold beer. Mmm. Maybe tomorrow if I can find some new spuds. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,468 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

^^^^^^^^ Mystery Egg: Willies or fingers? Either way not good thoughts, not good at all! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Roast chicken in maple, tamari, ginger and turmeric marinade, served with quinoa cooked in chicken broth, and mixed salad. The others had buttery mash, marrowfat peas and steamed carrots.

And for dessert.........

It's all about balance... :D

It's all about the quinoa these days ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

Trying out Gordon Ramsays recipe:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Vr-SZyXwLo

food1.jpg

food2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Good Friday, I was on my own and fancied a roast so I went for roast chicken thighs.

Roast thighs, potatoes, carrots, parsnips, garlic. Gravy.

Very nice but it seem I prefer thighs the way I fry and grill them than roast.

5JxND2.jpg

Easter Monday's rare flat iron steaks with teriyaki (sort of) sauce, Thai rice and fried cabbage with soy, ginger and garlic.

Looks awful - tasted great :D

4DN7B3.jpg

• Advertisement

Last night I wanted something summery so ended up doing a kind of grilled vegetable stew with grilled chicken thighs (again:mad:).

Onion, fennel, aubergine, garlic, red pepper, tomatoes, white wine. Fresh herbs and olives to finish.
    Served it with pre made gnocchi.
    5uH5Pu.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

Good Friday, I was on my own and fancied a roast so I went for roast chicken thighs.

Roast thighs, potatoes, carrots, parsnips, garlic. Gravy.

Very nice but it seem I prefer thighs the way I fry and grill them than roast.

How do you make your gravy normally beer?

Your chicken always looks amazing no matter what way you cook it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

A feast! A giant, delicious Indian feast for no good reason at all. Chicken madras courtesy of the amazing recipe from Curry Addict in the Cooking Club, served with thrown-together bombay potatoes and peas.

It was outrageously, plate-lickingly good.

IMAG0981_zpspo2ckewy.jpg

limnam wrote: »
    How do you make your gravy normally beer?

I drain the roasting pan of most fat, retaining the juices. I mix about a tablespoon of flour with the juices to make a paste. I add some stock and slowly blend the paste with the stock a bit at a time. When the flour is mixed into the stock I turn the heat on and add wine, soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce and boil for a few minutes.

Sometimes I'll add mustard, lemon juice, herbs, chilli flakes, beer, red currant jelly (or similar). Sometimes I use red wine, sometimes white. No hard rules.

I'd your flour goes a bit lumpy, just strain the gravy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

A really horrible Thai green curry :( what's worse is I have leftovers for lunch tomorrow

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

A really horrible Thai green curry :( what's worse is I have leftovers for lunch tomorrow

Sorry but this made me lol! Please don't eat the horrible curry of death for your lunch - bin it! :pac:

Our dinner tonight was great. At 6.30 the OH announced he was going out at 7 o'clock, so I lashed into action! Luckily I had everything I needed to hand.

I took 2 steaks out of the fridge and set the oven to 200. Put a pan on to heat. Lashed some butter into the pan with a handful of button mushrooms. Seasoned.

Threw a punnet of baby tomatoes into a dish with salt, pepper, olive oil and balsamic. Put into the oven, alongside a par-baked rustic baguette.

Grabbed some green beans from the freezer and threw them into a little pot with some boiling water. Put two striploin steaks on the pan with the mushrooms, 60 seconds a side. Put the steaks on warm plate to rest. Drained the beans and threw them into the pan with the mushrooms. Poured on the steak juices, seasoned, added wholegrain mustard and a knob of butter and plenty of salt and black pepper.

Took the bread and tomatoes out of the oven and plated up at 6.50pm, with ten minutes to spare for frantic eating before departure! :pac:

Steak, mushrooms, green beans, tomatoes, with crusty bread for mopping up the juices. Now why the hell didn't I take a photo?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

Cold noodle salad, with chicken satay and toasted cashews. So lovely and summery! I'll take a picture next time :)

^^^^ Speedy Gonzales, Mystery Egg!

Last night's leftover roast chicken turned into Thai green curry soup after teaming up with some freshly ground spice and aromatics, served with courgette, cucumber, beansprouts, tomatoes, basil, coriander and bird's eye chilli. A squeeze of lime to complete.

IMG_20150408_195442_zpsuq2rthyg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

Back from holidays today and feeling sorry for ourselves so something comforting was in order. We're having bowsie raclette - bowsie because we don't have the proper cheese OR the proper cheese melter ;) Baked potatoes loaded with far too much butter, cheese and salt, along with a selection of cured meats and roast ham, some coleslaw, some pickles. Finest.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Lamb leg steak, fried potato, steamed broccoli and baby corn.

photo%201_zpsq7cafvaa.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Made beef tacos with guacamole, all of it very yummy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Tonight we had steak. Big, juicy rare rib eyes from Aldi. Oh my goodness they were sublime.

I chopped some plum vine tomatoes, garlic, scallions and red onion, fried off in the pan after the steaks. Had scallion mash too.

Unbelievable. The most enjoyable meal I've had in ages.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

The most enjoyable meal I've had in ages.

I said the very same about our Aldi steaks on Monday :)

Last night we had roast chicken, corn on the cob, coleslaw and baked potato.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,773 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Last night was lamb, veg & barley broth made with the leftovers from the weekend. Ended up like a summery version of Irish Stew.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Photo-Sniper

Last night in Ireland after holidays so cooked for my whole family tonight. Had an early 5pm dinner.

Cooked us 4 fillet steaks with fried onions and deglazed the pan with some Rioja to pour over. Served these with some Mashed potato in which i folded the last scratches of a white truffle I bought into them. Broccoli, Carrots, Green beans and some zuchinni all steamed, lashed into a frying pan with some butter to finish.

Damn, Is there really a better feeling than cooking for family? I cook for hundreds of people 7 days a week, yet that feeling of making your family smile and sharing food with them is something I cant explain in words.

Cant wait for a few months until I can do it again!

Burger patties, sauteed mushroom, and salad. Cooked chips for the rest of the family and I had a couple of sneaky bites; the potatoes were gorgeous. They're the same ones I got for Easter Sunday lunch for buttery mash. Super tasty, from Lidl's organic range. Guests also commented how lovely they were.

IMG_20150409_192740_zpsfesv1hhq.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

An exceptionally lovely, fresh tomato sauce (peeled plum tomatoes blended with a little salt, sugar and olive oil) cooked down with garlic & onion and fresh basil and lots of black pepper added at the end. Served over fancypants giant Lidl gnocci stuffed with pesto creamy stuff. Also smoked ham & grated parmesan. Also parmesan & garlic toasties made with this garlic butter.

No photos because my phone is playing hide & seek.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,468 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

A bit of a kids fest going on here tonight, they must have heard I was making pizzas.

To make them go a bit further, I made garlic bread with cheese using Aldi's par-baked ciabatta.

Didn't have time to make tomato sauce so just used Aldi's cheapie Pasta Sauce with Herbs - did the trick.

275DCB8D-303A-4134-9C82-5D987A7E119B_zpsxws7ixgy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I love our new butchers :) I cooked us deliciously, teeth shattering, crunchy crackling-tastic organic pork chops and they were ever so tasty. I just slow grilled them on a very low heat for about forty mins. Had with roast sweet potato, broccoli and a deliciously moreish garlic sautéed spinach which took two mins but lifted the whole dish. Didn't bother with a sauce and just had done dijonnaise with it. Oh, an an obligatory two glasses of Sancerre because it would be wrong not to! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Those were the days

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement