Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Inspired by Tilly's breakfast, and the fact I had seven eggs that desperately needed to be eaten, I made spanish omelette (potato and chicken) and a salad of raw broccoli, baby corn, and olives.

photo_zpssbz7tflx.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

I met a cousin for dinner and, with the lovely weather, barbecue was an attractive option. We shared what can only be described as a meat feast for €20, plus an extra side: brisket, ribs, chicken, chips, slaw and onion rings. Accompanied by homemade lemonade and followed by a 99.

Good food, decent value and just the right amount of food for two hungry women :)

EDIT: I should probably mention that we ate in Pitt Bros :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

We had friends over tonight and it was their first meal out since having a baby 2 weeks ago. (Baba was of course with them.)

I took requests for their favourite foods and we had ourselves a delicious, if incoherent, meal. :)

Starter: Spinach, rocket and cucumber tossed in a raspberry vinaigrette, topped with goat's cheese and pomegranate seeds.

Main course: Cornish pasties, potato dauphinoise and steamed brocolli.

Dessert: Banoffee pie and fresh coffee.

Washed down with beer, wine, G&Ts and some Lagavulin whisky.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Dinner tonight was something quick, easy and tasty, himself had hurling so we ate late, hence the quick option.

We had waffles, smoked streaky rashers, poached eggs and some plum tomatoes, red onion, garlic and mushrooms chopped up and gently cooked on the pan on a low heat with the lid on, so they cooked in the tomato and mushroom juices.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

I made fried rice with the ham that mammy gave me at the weekend.
    slack_for_ios_upload_1024.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Steamed cod with ginger, garlic, carrot, chestnut mushroom, spring onion, drizzled with tamari and sesame oil. Served with quinoa and beansprouts.

IMG_20150410_192246_zpsnk7jwu95.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

A lovely Friday evening, start of the weekend meal : Lentil and veg burgers with lots of chips.
    Consumed with a lovely cold pint while watching Top Gear reruns on Dave :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Ordered pizza from the new firehouse pizza in booterstown, oh dear it was amazing! Chicken satay and a smoked bacon cheeae burger one, all gluten free. Can't move off the couch now

Carbonara.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Indian for us tonight.

Garlic naan, chicken pakora, chips, basmati rice and murgh makhani (butter chicken).

Om nom nom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

Pork schnitzel (with not very traditional mash, broccoli and gravy!)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Moody_mona wrote: »
    Pork schnitzel (with not very traditional mash, broccoli and gravy!)

Can you share the recipe for the pork schnitzel?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Ordered pizza from the new firehouse pizza in booterstown, oh dear it was amazing! Chicken satay and a smoked bacon cheeae burger one, all gluten free. Can't move off the couch now

Why gluten free as a matter of interest?

Had rib eye steaks, deliciously rare with a big cheesy salad and a glass of McGuigans Shiraz which is just €8.50 in Tesco at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Merkin wrote: »
    Why gluten free as a matter of interest?

Had rib eye steaks, deliciously rare with a big cheesy salad and a glass of McGuigans Shiraz which is just €8.50 in Tesco at the moment.

I'm a coeliac, so getting anything gf that resembles the taste of normal food is like Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Last night we went to the Cliff Townhouse. We shared a pot of mussels to start, I had fillet steak and she had monkfish. Selection of cheeses for dessert.

Bloody good food.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

fussyonion wrote: »
    Can you share the recipe for the pork schnitzel?

:) I cut the fat and bits I didn't like the look of off two pork chops and flattened them (best to picture a serious enemy here!).

For the breadcrumbs, I had a bag of fresh breadcrumbs, mixed with salt, pepper, mixed dried herbs and an even drizzle of oil and I dried them in the oven at 180c for about 10/15 minutes keeping a close eye on them. I used about a third of bag, so 150g of fresh breadcrumbs.

Then pat the pork chops with flour, dip them in egg and cover in breadcrumbs. I put a small amount of oil in the frying pan and fried them quite slowly for about 8 minutes, just because the breadcrumbs were already quite brown and I didn't want to burn them. Easy to overcook them if they're thin so watch them.

Dried chilli flakes in the breadcrumb mix also go down a treat, yum!

Moody_mona wrote: »
    :) I cut the fat and bits I didn't like the look of off two pork chops and flattened them (best to picture a serious enemy here!).

For the breadcrumbs, I had a bag of fresh breadcrumbs, mixed with salt, pepper, mixed dried herbs and an even drizzle of oil and I dried them in the oven at 180c for about 10/15 minutes keeping a close eye on them. I used about a third of bag, so 150g of fresh breadcrumbs.

Then pat the pork chops with flour, dip them in egg and cover in breadcrumbs. I put a small amount of oil in the frying pan and fried them quite slowly for about 8 minutes, just because the breadcrumbs were already quite brown and I didn't want to burn them. Easy to overcook them if they're thin so watch them.

Dried chilli flakes in the breadcrumb mix also go down a treat, yum!

Thanks Mona, sounds delicious!

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭5unflower

From a few nights ago: Spanish chickpea and potato bake

43B2980A7A804EEE8D91AB9C02DA8652-0000353053-0003749314-00800L-DA7FE70859164F4F97297FA9095EB4F5.jpg

Tonight's dinner: Chorizo and cabbage stew

82A16762B23A49DDA9BEE1A5CE5DE9E4-0000353053-0003749315-00800L-0E8EECD47CDF4822A92A661D0281F969.jpg

Roasted pork fillet packed with sausagemeat, onion and apple stuffing, with mash, carrots and delicious gravy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Roasted pork fillet packed with sausagemeat, onion and apple stuffing, with mash, carrots and delicious gravy.

Sounds gorgeous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭rosie16

From a few days ago (the picture), kind of a green curry with potatoes, lentils, carrots, peas and coconut. It doesn't look anything like a green curry but it has the flavour (I used half a jar of green curry paste). If that counts. :P It was quite amazing, the marriage between the green curry and the coconut was 'wow'. I could have halved it, so much food on the plate! My friend messaged me 10 minutes after finishing asking if I wanted to go for a run, I would have loved too but not with that amount of food in me!

Today my father made a beef stirfry with noodles, awesome as always. I had a nap earlier and was feeling peckish so I had leftovers from yesterday, chorizo and chickpeas in a tomato sauce with pasta.

Not mad hungry today so just went with a handful of panfried scallops and a lemon meringue bun.

One of those delicious steaks from Supervalu (2 for €8!), seasoned with Schwartz Steak Seasoning, served with carrots, green beans and mashed potato using my fancy ricer :)

sp96wj.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Last night we had a creamy ham & tomato pasta bake topped with parmesan and panko crumbs. Sauce prepared from scratch, plum tomatoes peeled, smoked ham crisped up, onions diced etc. by my own fair maulers. Pity then that I left it in the oven for, ooh, a good 15 minutes too long. Sauce basically evaporated and the whole things was as dry as chewing on raw oats covered in a very intense tomato & ham paste. Still ate it but SIGH.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

Chicken tikka masala (yet again, from the Aldi specially selected ones with the spices on top) with rice, an unhealthy amount of poppadoms and half a jar of mango chutney. It was good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Last night we had crispy aromatic duck with pancakes from the local takeaway. Had to wait for over an hour as they were very busy

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Kurumba

Chicken tikka masala (yet again, from the Aldi specially selected ones with the spices on top) with rice, an unhealthy amount of poppadoms and half a jar of mango chutney. It was good.

Had chicken Tikka Masala also, cheated and used 2 tablespoons of the Sharwoods Tikka paste, tinned tomatos, chopped onion, loads of poppadoms, garlic and coriander nan, it was delicious and so quick.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Kurumba wrote: »
    Had chicken Tikka Masala also, cheated and used 2 tablespoons of the Sharwoods Tikka paste, tinned tomatos, chopped onion, loads of poppadoms, garlic and coriander nan, it was delicious and so quick.

I don't think using paste is cheating; it's just taking advantage of the fact that someone else has done a bit of the hard work for you. :-)

I always use a paste for Thai curry; I've tried doing it from scratch, but it's never quite the same. These people know what they're doing. Why not benefit from their know-how?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Aye Kurumba.

• Advertisement

Brinner.

Sausages, rashers, mushrooms, fried egg and chips. And fresh white loaf. And tea. Nom.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement