Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

I made an unbearably hot chilli. Took two chillis from the freezer, no idea what they were! I'm not used to cooking with fresh chillis, and I thought I only used a small amount but obviously not!! To "dilute" the heat I added a LOAD of veg, mushrooms, peppers, broccoli stalks and extra onions. Turned out lovely, feel good, and I've dinner for tomorrow sorted - crisis averted!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

We spent most of today painting a few rooms in the house. So around 3pm, I took a break and made a pizza dough. Left it to rise until we were finished (around 6pm), and then proceeded to make 2 pizzas out of it.

1st one is a tried and tested combination, garlic and tomato sauce with oregano, mushrooms, onions, black olives and green peppers.

2nd one was a new one - sliced and fried portobello mushrooms on a bit of sour cream, truffle oil and crumbled goats cheese. Once out of the oven, I topped it off with some rocket leaves. This one is definitely our new favourite, it was simply stunning. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

Homemade beef burgers (oven baked to keep them juicy!) in an Aldi Brioche Bun. Toppings included gherkins, cheese, fresh onion and tomato with good old "burger sauce" (whatever that is!). Big lump of a salad too.

First time trying the brioche buns at home...Why have I waited this long!!

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Applause

I have just created some kind of pasta bake with stuff that needed to be used up from the fridge, it turned out fabulous, I'll definitely make it again.

6d80bfd19d.jpg

I gently fried some roughly chopped red onion with sliced mushrooms and pieces of prosciutto with a sprinkle of Italian herbs, when they were cooked I added half a tin of chopped tomatoes(mostly the juice) and two slices of white cheddar(don't ask :pac: ) added in a few cooked tagliatelli nests and put it in a baking tray with three slices of white cheddar on top as well. :D took it out when the cheese was bubbly and it was absolutely delicious.

The garlic bread is just aldi grinder with garlic butter.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Flatiron steak, baked potato, grilled asparagus, whiskey cream sauce.

I am stuffed and happy.

photo%201_zps6eqq2knt.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Kangaroo & ostrich (spotted them in lidl and decided to have a bit of a Zoo Sunday) with a cheesy twice baked potato. Followed by waffles with a choice of maple, golden & agave syrup (we're banned from buying syrup till these are used up. Banned!) and lemon & lime drizzle cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Kangaroo & ostrich

How was it?

Really tasty. Ostrich meat in particular had a great texture and taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,004 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

From last week:

Pan basted aromatic breast of duck with rhubarb and ginger sauce, Thai rice and stir fried pak choi with a little soy sauce.

They were the Aldi Silver Hill duck breasts - 2 for €4.
    Not just serious value - I think these were the nicest, most tender duck breasts I've ever cooked - and I cook duck breasts quite a lot.

These ones were pre seasoned with a Chinese style, aromatic spice blend. This would normally put me off but having tried Silver Hill flavoured products before, I was confident. Lovely flavours.
    Did I say they were super tender??

4RpuwB.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

From last week:

Pan basted aromatic breast of duck with rhubarb and ginger sauce, Thai rice and stir fried pak choi with a little soy sauce.

Not just serious value - I think these were the nicest, most tender duck breasts I've ever cooked - and I cook duck breasts quite a lot.

These ones were pre seasoned with a Chinese style, aromatic spice blend. This would normally put me off but having tried Silver Hill flavoured products before, I was confident. Lovely flavours.

Having dealt with them in a professional capacity in a former career, I can say they put their absolute heart and soul into their products. A brilliant operation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,773 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I baked fillets of hake with the juice of a lime, Thai 7-spice, soy sauce & minced chillis, ginger & garlic. Accompanied by bamboo shoots, broccoli, sugar snaps & baby corn stir-fried in green curry paste with a splash of coconut milk, soy & fish sauce. Topped with shredded basil (the regular kind).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,468 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

We went to Eddie Rockets for dinner last night. I had the Slow and Low pulled pork burger with Frings (fries and onion rings) and my obligatory Chocolate Malt. If I'm ever on Death Row, my last meal will have to include a Chocolate Malt! :D

'velveted' (ie tossed in corn flour and bicarb and left to go sticky) a sliced pork loin and marinaded it in rice wine, soy and ginger. Stirfried over a high heat along with sliced carrot, beansprouts, bamboo shoots & waterchestnuts. Pack of straight to wok noodles and a sauce of soy, rice wine and laoganma blackbean chili stuff. Oh, and a little orange juice because it needed a bit of sour and my other options were red wine vinegar or lime juice. Both of which I have tried before with less than delightful results. Sliced scallion on top. Clean bowls all round. Meat was particularly nice & tender

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Chilli with baked potatoes and grated cheddar.

2rm2xap.jpg

Oven baked cod in a lemon, olive oil & chilli marinade, served with a Greek salad with more lemon & olive oil dressing. Divine. Them Aldi green olives in brine are tasty little buggers!

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

Sunday's dinner: Tagliatelle in a creamy spinach sauce with chicken & sun-dried tomatoes

360575f4-201b-4b8e-ab16-1d0afca51eda.jpg

Had a burrito for lunch so tonight's dinner was something light but still very tasty: Pomegranate, orange & rocket salad with cous cous

BD261AF2-B5F3-42FC-931C-FB09FC7BF609_2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Tuna steak from Aldi, served with lettuce, tomato, cucumber, peppers, gherkins, sweetcorn, scallion, and a few chips.

16li7ig.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭m*pp*t

From last week:

Any chance of how to cook duck instructions for a duck-newbie? I've bought two of those duck breasts from Aldi and I'm a bit terrified of ruining them. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,468 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Honey and soy chicken with coconut brown rice and pak choi.

A0323416-99E4-49CE-86F6-4FCB2A9EA722_zpszjupil0m.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

Yesterday was beef strips, bok choi, bean sprouts and broccoli with honey and soy sauce on rice.

Today was bean sprouts and spring onions flashfried together with an egg and rasher sandwhich :o

• Advertisement

Another massive bowl of Greek salad and another omelette with peas and tomatoes and feta grilled on top. Maybe I *can* live without starchy carbs!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

I just had something delicious for dinner. But I can't tell you what it is because it's my recipe for the cooking club on Friday. :pac:

Suffice to say it was YUM.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

I just had something delicious for dinner. But I can't tell you what it is because it's my recipe for the cooking club on Friday. :pac:

Suffice to say it was YUM.

Look forward to it.

Tonight was flat iron steak cooked perfectly rare, homemade mushroom and pepper sauce, and leftover salad from lunch consisting of lettuce, baby tomatoes, coriander, spring onion and squeeze of fresh lime, and baby cucumbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Made the mistake of having Fray Bentos pie.

Haven't eaten one in YEARS but found one in the cupboard and decided, as it's the day before we go shopping, it'd do for dinner.
    I only ate half. It was just OK. Don't think I'd eat one again.

Served with mashed potato, broccoli, carrots and green beans.

2woca5t.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Bought some salmon fillets in Aldi. Decided to follow the advice of Marco Pierre White and chanced cooking one in the microwave to see how it would come out, figured if it was over cooked I'd salvage it by flaking it onto a bagel.
    Seasoned it simply with salt, pepper and lemon. Put it on a plate and cooked it for 90 seconds and let it rest for a couple of minutes.
    Took it out and it was Absolutely perfect! It was cooked perfectly, still flaky and moist. I've never cooked salmon so perfect in a pan or in the oven. Had it with some brown soda bread and horseradish. Delighted with myself :-)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Fussyonion, I'm intrigued by your mashed potato. Are you just ricing cooked potatoes onto the plate without any seasonings or anything? I always rice into a pot and then add butter and seasoning etc, so that it comes together uniformly.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Faith wrote: »
    Fussyonion, I'm intrigued by your mashed potato. Are you just ricing cooked potatoes onto the plate without any seasonings or anything? I always rice into a pot and then add butter and seasoning etc, so that it comes together uniformly.

I've been thinking the same thing. I rice it, then beat it with butter, salt, milk etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

fussyonion wrote: »
    Made the mistake of having Fray Bentos pie.

Haven't eaten one in YEARS but found one in the cupboard and decided, as it's the day before we go shopping, it'd do for dinner.
    I only ate half. It was just OK. Don't think I'd eat one again.

Served with mashed potato, broccoli, carrots and green beans.

My guilty pleasure is the pastry on those tinned pies. So disgusting it's tasty!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,958 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Oven baked cod in a lemon, olive oil & chilli marinade, served with a Greek salad with more lemon & olive oil dressing. Divine. Them Aldi green olives in brine are tasty little buggers!

Gosh how did you get the fish to cook so moist?

I am rubbish at cooking fish, always ends up either half raw, or overcooked. That's why fish is my dish of choice when eating out!

Looks gorgeous. Any tips? How long you cooked it for etc. ta.

• Advertisement

Gosh how did you get the fish to cook so moist?

I am rubbish at cooking fish, always ends up either half raw, or overcooked. That's why fish is my dish of choice when eating out!

Looks gorgeous. Any tips? How long you cooked it for etc. ta.

Unfortunately it was a bit overcooked - I haven't quite got the hang of fish just yet. it was delicious all the same, I had plenty of marinade with it which probably makes it look less over cooked than it actually was! I think it was in for about 15 minutes, at about 180, if that's any help. Closer to 10 minutes would probably have been enough.

Thank you though!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement