Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,958 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Unfortunately it was a bit overcooked - I haven't quite got the hang of fish just yet. it was delicious all the same, I had plenty of marinade with it which probably makes it look less over cooked than it actually was! I think it was in for about 15 minutes, at about 180, if that's any help. Closer to 10 minutes would probably have been enough.

Thank you though!

You're welcome. And thanks for the timings.

Although I'd imagine timings depend a lot on the thickness of the fish and the texture etc.

Looks like the restaurant might be my only bet!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Faith wrote: »
    Fussyonion, I'm intrigued by your mashed potato. Are you just ricing cooked potatoes onto the plate without any seasonings or anything? I always rice into a pot and then add butter and seasoning etc, so that it comes together uniformly.

Yes, I rice them straight onto the plate. It means I'm actually eating less potato than if I scooped them. I did season them in the pot with salt and pepper, but I didn't need butter because ricing them makes them taste creamy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,004 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Faith wrote: »
    Fussyonion, I'm intrigued by your mashed potato. Are you just ricing cooked potatoes onto the plate without any seasonings or anything? I always rice into a pot and then add butter and seasoning etc, so that it comes together uniformly.

You can also rice them, mix with butter etc. then rice them again. I got that idea here.
    Works great for potato topped pies.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,004 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

m*pp*t wrote: »
    Any chance of how to cook duck instructions for a duck-newbie? I've bought two of those duck breasts from Aldi and I'm a bit terrified of ruining them. :)

Probably too late now but I put them skin side down in a medium hot dry pan. As the fat renders, baste them constantly to cook the undersides. I don't turn them at all. 10 to 12 minutes gives me medium rare. Very important to rest them for 10 minutes. Keep an eye skin doesn't burn.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

No pic, but tonight we had rosemary lamb steak with creamy/cheesy potato gratin. A litle rocket salad on the side makes it healthy, right?! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Kerryann’s chilli con veggie, but I tweaked it a little.
    I'm the kind of person who can never follow a recipe to the letter, and I simply have to have peppers and sweetcorn in a chili.

No pics yet, but there's a good bit leftover. Experience tells me leftover chili is ALWAYS much better than freshly prepared chili, so I might take pics when we have it again later this week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Breaded chicken breasts fried in a little oil on a low heat with a lid on top - end result was not crispy enough but very moist! Made a couscous side with a simple salad. It was yum. Oh, had a Cobra beer too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Polka_Dot

Shenshen wrote: »
    I'm the kind of person who can never follow a recipe to the letter, and I simply have to have peppers and sweetcorn in a chili.

No pics yet, but there's a good bit leftover. Experience tells me leftover chili is ALWAYS much better than freshly prepared chili, so I might take pics when we have it again later this week :)

I made this the other night myself! Unfortunately mine wasn't that great - I've never cooked with lentils before and I think I used either the wrong type or didn't prepare them properly, as they just turned to mush in the pot. These were the ones I used, I just threw them straight into the pot. Can anyone tell me where I went wrong?

Polka_Dot wrote: »
    I made this the other night myself! Unfortunately mine wasn't that great - I've never cooked with lentils before and I think I used either the wrong type or didn't prepare them properly, as they just turned to mush in the pot. These were the ones I used, I just threw them straight into the pot. Can anyone tell me where I went wrong?

Yep, don't use red lentils, or any type of split lentils. They are made to turn into mush, and as such they are lovely in a dahl curry, or as stuffing for butternut squash. But not good for chilis.

Find some green, brown or puy lentils, they'll fare much better :)

Just goes to show how bad I am at reading recipes, I never put those in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

I cooked it too, but put in loads of extra veg. You can't have a chilli with just beans and lentils!

I should have halved the recipe, as someone suggested...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

http://s1281.photobucket.com/user/dee-mc/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-04/20150415_193651_zpskyewpfch.jpg.html
    Tagliatelle in homemade tomato and basil sauce with lemony trout and red peppers :)

Home-made beef stew. Burnt my bottom lip on a particularly hot onion. Was delicious though. The stew, not the burnt lip.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

The ever so satisfying Chilli Beef from The Cooking Club, with added Portobello mushroom, served with brown basmati, mini cucumber and baby tomatoes.

IMG_20150415_200716_zpsbm8zkwzf.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Polka_Dot

Yep, don't use red lentils, or any type of split lentils. They are made to turn into mush, and as such they are lovely in a dahl curry, or as stuffing for butternut squash. But not good for chilis.

Find some green, brown or puy lentils, they'll fare much better :)

Just goes to show how bad I am at reading recipes, I never put those in.

Thank you! :) The chili still tasted perfectly fine, it just moreso resembled something you'd feed to a toddler! Would you use those types straight from the bag or would you need to soak them first?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Tonight we had roast chicken breasts, creamy scallion mash, broccoli, carrots and gravy.

We also had visitors who brought a delicious cream cake and doughnuts. They were dessert. We had dessert before dinner. :o

Polka_Dot wrote: »
    Thank you! :) The chili still tasted perfectly fine, it just moreso resembled something you'd feed to a toddler! Would you use those types straight from the bag or would you need to soak them first?

I always use them straight from the bag. Soaking generally only cuts down on cooking time, and I find with lentils it's not all that much time anyway.

Beans I should probably soak, but I'm never organised enough. I usually try and make things containing beans in the slow cooker anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I got a housewarming gift of a slow cooker a couple of days ago, delighted! Unfortunately my first meal in it was a little disappointing - chicken tikka masala. It had quite a metallic taste, possibly from the chopped tomatoes? I usually add sugar when I'm using tinned tomatoes but forgot to this time. It was still tasty enough to eat though, I won't let the leftovers go to waste :)

1Z4J3Fr.jpg

Really looking forward to trying plenty of other recipes in it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I got a housewarming gift of a slow cooker a couple of days ago, delighted! Unfortunately my first meal in it was a little disappointing - chicken tikka masala. It had quite a metallic taste, possibly from the chopped tomatoes? I usually add sugar when I'm using tinned tomatoes but forgot to this time. It was still tasty enough to eat though, I won't let the leftovers go to waste :)

Really looking forward to trying plenty of other recipes in it.

I get that taste too if I don't add a teaspoon of sugar for every tin of tomatoes, no matter what I'm making. Don't forget the most important rule when it comes to slow cooking - add about half the amount of liquid that you would if you were cooking in a pot or casserole dish, otherwise everything tastes watery.

I get that taste too if I don't add a teaspoon of sugar for every tin of tomatoes, no matter what I'm making. Don't forget the most important rule when it comes to slow cooking - add about half the amount of liquid that you would if you were cooking in a pot or casserole dish, otherwise everything tastes watery.

The recipe I used was specifically for slow cooking but thanks for the tip, I didn't realise that! It will come in useful when adapting other recipes :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

beertons kindly posted a list of links to tried and tested slow cooker recipes, it's quoted in the first post of the slow cooker megathread :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055468379

• Advertisement

beertons kindly posted a list of links to tried and tested slow cooker recipes, it's quoted in the first post of the slow cooker megathread :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055468379

I went through that post yesterday and have loads of recipes bookmarked now :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Not my photo but I couldn't stop laughing when my chips came out in one of these things today from My Meat Wagon in Smithfield.

B_sXirSWQAAiNLV.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

Had spaghetti carbonara tonight. Never had it before. I liked it but found it very rich. Not sure I'll have it very often .

Used this recipe.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1052/ultimate-spaghetti-carbonara

BBC is a great place for recipes imo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Risteard wrote: »
    Had spaghetti carbonara tonight. Never had it before. I liked it but found it very rich. Not sure I'll have it very often .

Used this recipe.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1052/ultimate-spaghetti-carbonara

BBC is a great place for recipes imo.

I'm glad you didn't use cream...you don't use cream in proper carbonara. As you said, it's rich enough as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Applause

Yesterday's dinner before I added another layer of cheese and cooked it. :pac:

11147842_10206476273174415_4227189160512403095_n.jpg?oh=b3837fd76df5db346c58f9312363f6e0&oe=55D79816&__gda__=1437412563_c706acc9ab6520d6ac3766e194eb9d06

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Beef carpaccio with rocket, spinach and shavings of smoked cheese, followed by salmon fillet with a pea and crab risotto

Umm travelling with work again :D

I bought some Tandoori curry powder today and I saw a recipe on the back for Tandoori Chicken.
    It was really tasty, but I'd have preferred the dish to have been a tiny bit wetter. Served with brown rice.
    Flavour was gorgeous though, and I think I'll be using the powder a lot.

207s5eb.jpg

RasTa wrote: »
    Not my photo but I couldn't stop laughing when my chips came out in one of these things today from My Meat Wagon in Smithfield.

It's gotten ridiculous now - I prefer my food on a plate.
    @WeWantPlates on Twitter post photos of the most ridiculous food presentation :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

It's gotten ridiculous now - I prefer my food on a plate.
    @WeWantPlates on Twitter post photos of the most ridiculous food presentation :D

Meat Wagon has featured on that Twitter account a couple of times. My favourite was the bread in the flat cap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

The Cooking Club's Lamb Doner Kebab, served in wholemeal pitta.

IMG_20150416_212920_zpspgfhxirw.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement