Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Really, for the amount you cook, it is worth having a decent oven.
    I deliberated for ages before replacing my (not very) old oven that I hated but now wonder why I did. Just work your new kitchen around your new oven.

For me, I'd never stray from having a built in double oven. Ranges are lovely to look at but do you want to be down on your haunches every time you check something in the oven?

I found that the most expensive ovens aren't necessarily the best - they just have more bells and whistles that I'd never use. It was a mid range Electrolux that ticked all my boxes and three years on I'm very happy with it (I was willing to spend more for the right oven but that was the right one for me).

You cook lots. You deserve a decent oven.

I hear you loud and clear. The problem is that my current oven is a free standing oven and replacing that would mean it wouldn't fit the new kitchen where I want a built in oven. I've actually looked at Electrolux and will go with one of these....they look well built and apparently the after service (if needed) is meant to be very good. The issue isn't the new kitchen anyway, but the fact that we're thinking of extending...hence the need to wait. A rock and a hard place!

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Tamari ginger chicken on the barbie, red cabbage and radish slaw, potato salad. So good.

Hiya,

Did you just marinade the chicken with the Tamari for an hour or two or how did you do it? Looks fab!

Loire.

kylith wrote: »
    Carbonara again. I'm on a mission to perfect carbonara. This time I used a duck egg and it was lush.

I make Carbonara most Saturday's for lunch. I found it difficult at the start to prevent the egg from scrambling, however what I now do is, after adding the beaten egg to the hot pasta, I stir it very slowly and gently until it's all mixed in. I then add my grated cheese, bit by bit, stirring all the time. This helps prevent lumps of cheese. There's a place in Cork that sells freshly made pasta called Iago and I get mine there. It's such a lovely dish!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

Loire wrote: »
    I make Carbonara most Saturday's for lunch. I found it difficult at the start to prevent the egg from scrambling, however what I now do is, after adding the beaten egg to the hot pasta, I stir it very slowly and gently until it's all mixed in. I then add my grated cheese, bit by bit, stirring all the time. This helps prevent lumps of cheese. There's a place in Cork that sells freshly made pasta called Iago and I get mine there. It's such a lovely dish!

I usually mix my Parmesan in with the egg mixture, dump on the pasta followed quickly by a ladle of the pasta water. Seems to produce a nice silky sauce coating on the pasta.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

It really is the perfect quick dish - only takes as long as it takes to cook fresh pasta.

What I did this time was to drain the pasta and just let the last few drips back into the pasta pot for the minute it took to give my bacon a reheat and take the raw edge off the garlic, then I put the pasta back in and chucked everything else in at the same time. Having the pot off the heat for a minute stops it from getting too hot so the egg doesn't cook, and only having a tablespoon or so of the water stops it from getting too wet.

It was bloody lush too, I can't stop thinking about it. I over did the pepper by half a twist, but other than that I think I've cracked it.

I will definitely be making my own pasta with duck egg. I love duck eggs - they don't really boil well, but are fantastic in anything else.

• Advertisement

Last night I made a basic chicken pasta pesto. I made the pesto myself though and there's a world of a difference. Nice and garlicky too!
    Added some extra oil to it for good measure.

kylith wrote: »
    I will definitely be making my own pasta with duck egg. I love duck eggs - they don't really boil well, but are fantastic in anything else.

Must try using duck eggs!

Must try using duck eggs!

Try them scrambled. You'll never want to go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Hiya,

Did you just marinade the chicken with the Tamari for an hour or two or how did you do it? Looks fab!

Loire.

I left it in the marinade for a couple of hours. But like most marinades anywhere between an hour to overnight is good.
    I had tamari, grated ginger, garlic and onion powder, sriracha, white pepper, maple syrup in the marinade up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Loanshark Blues

I've been lurking on this forum for years so decided I'd finally contribute. Apologies it's not something more appetising.. My egg molee with cashew nuts from a few nights ago.TRKROH7.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

That looks lush Loanshark Blues! I had never heard of egg molee before!

I've been lurking on this forum for years so decided I'd finally contribute. Apologies it's not something more appetising.. My egg molee with cashew nuts from a few nights ago.

Holy molee :D sorry can't resist
    That looks delicious

That looks lush Loanshark Blues! I had never heard of egg molee before!

Neither had I, saw it on Rick Stein's India last week so thought I'd give it a go!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,468 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Neither had I, saw it on Rick Stein's India last week so thought I'd give it a go!

On my 'Dinners To Do' list. Thanks for sharing. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

My cooking mojo is still MIA, just a stir fry. Did the veg first-took some out for the EV and then added the meat. Turkey.
    Rice from the rice cooker...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

That egg molee looks absolutely delicious! If you have the recipe to hand I'd love to try it please.

Had a Cully & Scully fish pie last night with some brocolli and a glass of Bougrier Sauvignon which was quite lemony so a lovely accompaniment to the fish. It's honestly the first processed dinner I've had in as long as I can remember tbh but I thought it was good quality, decent chunks of fish thankfully.

Merkin wrote: »
    That egg molee looks absolutely delicious! If you have the recipe to hand I'd love to try it please.

Sure. The recipe normally uses coconut milk but I didn't have any..

Ingredients:
    Hard boiled eggs (2 per person), cooled and peeled
    Handful or cashew nuts
    1 red onion
    3 cloves of garlic
    Thumb size piece of ginger
    1 green chilli
    2 tbsp tomato puree
    1 1/2 tsp cumin
    1 tsp turmeric
    1 tsp cayenne pepper
    1 1/2 tsp corriander powder
    2 tsp garam masala
    ~1 tsp salt
    1 cup of water
    Few tsp of gram flour
    2 tbsp olive oil, knob of butter

Method
    Put a pan on a medium heat and add the oil and butter. When the butter melts add the onion and sauté for 3 or 4 minutes. Add the cumin, turmeric, corriander, cayenne pepper and garam marsala.

Finely chop the garlic and ginger and mix into a paste as best you can, then add this to the pan, along with the cashew nuts and salt.

Sauté for another few minutes and then add the eggs, tomato puree and green chilli.

Add the water and stir. The sauce is quite thin so use the gram flour to thicken it up. Stick a lid on it and let simmer on a low heat for about 10 minutes.

I had it with boil in the bag rice, just added a teaspoon of turmeric, a few cloves and a bay leaf to the water.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Last night I made a basic chicken pasta pesto. I made the pesto myself though and there's a world of a difference. Nice and garlicky too!
    Added some extra oil to it for good measure.

If you don't feel like making your own, there's a guy at the farmer's markets who makes the BEST pesto I've ever had in my life. It's one of my all-time favourite foods. He has a big stall with lots of cheese, salami I think, and big tubs of various dips including hummous and red and green pestos. He's definitely at the Douglas and Mahon markets. If I could get someone to ship me over a tub, I'd be a happy woman.

Even my fiance, who claims to hate anything with cheese in it, will practically lick the tub that the pesto comes in :)

Faith wrote: »
    If you don't feel like making your own, there's a guy at the farmer's markets who makes the BEST pesto I've ever had in my life. It's one of my all-time favourite foods. He has a big stall with lots of cheese, salami I think, and big tubs of various dips including hummous and red and green pestos. He's definitely at the Douglas and Mahon markets. If I could get someone to ship me over a tub, I'd be a happy woman.

Even my fiance, who claims to hate anything with cheese in it, will practically lick the tub that the pesto comes in :)

+1 he sells nice stuff in fairness. Mrs Loire particularly like the semi-sundried tomatoes.

Sweet and sour chicken with chips. Used one of the Erin pots and it was pretty darned tasty. Will have to look up how to make it from scratch since I won't be getting the Erin pots again

photo%203_zpscb60pvxg.jpg

• Advertisement

Another barbie evening after a lovely day out in Phoenix Park - chicken and lamb kebabs, sausages, pasta salad, all from Supervalu. With coleslaw and other salad. Served along Heinz Smokey Chipotle and raggae raggae sauce. The lamb particularly was delicious.

IMG_20150423_200721_zpsyq3duge8.jpg

Sure. The recipe normally uses coconut milk but I didn't have any..

Ingredients:
    Hard boiled eggs (2 per person), cooled and peeled
    Handful or cashew nuts
    1 red onion
    3 cloves of garlic
    Thumb size piece of ginger
    1 green chilli
    2 tbsp tomato puree
    1 1/2 tsp cumin
    1 tsp turmeric
    1 tsp cayenne pepper
    1 1/2 tsp corriander powder
    2 tsp garam masala
    ~1 tsp salt
    1 cup of water
    Few tsp of gram flour
    2 tbsp olive oil, knob of butter

Method
    Put a pan on a medium heat and add the oil and butter. When the butter melts add the onion and sauté for 3 or 4 minutes. Add the cumin, turmeric, corriander, cayenne pepper and garam marsala.

Finely chop the garlic and ginger and mix into a paste as best you can, then add this to the pan, along with the cashew nuts and salt.

Sauté for another few minutes and then add the eggs, tomato puree and green chilli.

Add the water and stir. The sauce is quite thin so use the gram flour to thicken it up. Stick a lid on it and let simmer on a low heat for about 10 minutes.

If I use the original recipe with coconut milk (I'm assuming you subbed it with water), would I still need to thicken the sauce with gram flour to towards the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I like that smokey chipotle sauce. Go on the Heinz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Last night was a super quick dinner, a Lidl flatiron steak cooked medium-rare with loaded potato skins and tenderstem broccoli.

Regarding the steak, ye were all right, they're delicious :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Last night I was asked to cook a "nice roast dinner", so I did. I did half a leg of lamb which I had marinaded in olive oil, mixed herbs, parsley, salt, pepper and some chopped garlic. Wrapped tightly in cling film and left in the fridge for five hours or so. Cooked for about two hours, so it was over done for me, as I like my meat pink, but as I was cooking for others too, I had to go with what the majority wanted.

It was delicious when it was cooked, tender, and the taste from the marinade was delicious, it wasn't strong or over powering, it was just right.

Served it with the usual: mash, carrots, broccoli and gravy.

The gravy had a gorgeous flavour from the stock too, really, really delicious and rich with a slight hint of garlic but nothing too strong.

And best of all? There wasn't one complaint. Couldn't believe it myself as someone usually always, always complains.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,004 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

We went foraging on Sunday and came home with a big bags of nettles and sea spinach. I made a big pot of nettle soup and Mrs. Beer made a lasagne with added nettles served with wilted sea spinach and a salsa verde of just parsley lemon juice and olive oil.

7RWKd4.jpg

7vivgf.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,004 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

There was monkfish going cheap in The Good Fish Shop so last night we had pan fried monkfish with a tamarind sauce, grilled aubergine, Japanese rice and a tomato salad with lime juice, mint and chillies.

6SdsCz.jpg

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    If I use the original recipe with coconut milk (I'm assuming you subbed it with water), would I still need to thicken the sauce with gram flour to towards the end?

Yeah I subbed water for the coconut milk, shouldn't need to thicken when you use that.

:D

Baked pepper and wild garlic salmon darne (says the packaging but it tasted more like chilli and coriander seed), quinoa goreng and lightly steamed tenderstem broccoli.

IMG_20150424_194711_zpsjruo40g8.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Chesse and cold meat platter
    Have pics but dunno how to attach

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement