Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Cheese, cold meat and sourdough bread platter
    Poor dog loves cheese
    He was only dying to eat it
    Sooooooo good

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

brinty wrote: »
    Cheese, cold meat and sourdough bread platter
    Poor dog loves cheese
    He was only dying to eat it
    Sooooooo good

Give him a bit...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

katydid wrote: »
    Give him a bit...

Don't worry he got a bit and asked for more

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

Chicken wings, coated in a cranberry-sauce-based bbq sauce (had cranberry sauce in the fridge that needed using up - found this recipe online and it was a total success and a definite will-make-again-next-time-cranberry-sauce-is-taking-up-room-in-my-fridge recipe http://www.oceanspray.com/Recipes/Corporate/Sauces,-Sides-Salads/Cranberry-Maple-BBQ-Sauce.aspx#)
    With a side of kale chips.

Meant to take photos but totally forgot :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Last night we had southwest salad.

Black beans, tomatoes, scallions, jalapenos, corn, avocado, coriander, garlic, lemon juice, lime juice, salt, pepper and olive oil. Unreal.

Eaten over tortilla chips in a cheese sauce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Last night we had southwest salad.

Black beans, tomatoes, scallions, jalapenos, corn, avocado, coriander, garlic, lemon juice, lime juice, salt, pepper and olive oil. Unreal.

Eaten over tortilla chips in a cheese sauce.

Oh, yum!
    I'm always looking for new ideas for salads, I'm so stealing this one! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

On Saturday we made a batch of this pizza dough (which I think I initially spotted in a post of Minder's ages ago. Love this forum. All my nicest meals are ones I accidentally happen across in here.) It is wonderful stuff and 600gms of flour ended up with us having pizza for dinner for 3 days. Score!
    Used this dough recipe last night. It's so tasty! I'll definitely be using it from now on. We had some chorizo to use up so I made one with just chorizo and one with chorizo and pineapple. I stupidly had mine early so by the time my husband had his I was drooling again. :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Shenshen wrote: »
    Oh, yum!
    I'm always looking for new ideas for salads, I'm so stealing this one! :)

Another nice way to eat it if you wanted to avoid chips is with roasted sweet potato cubes and feta.

I also usually put minced red onion in it but had none this time. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Last night I had a craving for Nandos but as we don't live near one, I decided to try something at home that resembled their food.

I made chicken in pitta with salad, spicy rice and we had chips too, of course. For some heat I added a tiny drop of scotch bonnet sauce to the Nandos medium marinade, there was no heat really off it so next time I will add a bit more.

The rice wasn't really successful as the Nandos rice is usually dry and full of flavour, mine was gloopy/clumpy and although there was some flavour, I just wasn't a fan.

It was delicious, a thoroughly enjoyable meal except for the rice.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭polydactyl

Shepards pie "the mammys recipe" devoured as usual so no photo. Was supposed to have yest but the Aldi mince steak I had smelt off so had to wait.

• Advertisement

Well, I had planned to make pumpkin filled ravioli with a sage and goat's cheese creamy sauce, topped with fried sage and roasted hazelnuts.

But hubby and I went shopping, and around 3pm we were both ravenous and ended up in Rocking Joe's. I'm still not the biggest fan of their veggie burgers (too mushy), but their sweet potato fries are certainly yum.

I might do the ravioli tomorrow, I can't face any more food today.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

Penne with chopped up good quality pork sausages, chestnut mushrooms, tomatoes, garlic, onions and white wine. Not particularly sophisticated but it's heaven on a plate to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

Roasted pork cutlets with baked apple, amontillado and rosemary, from a Guardian Cook recipe: http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/oct/05/10-best-apple-recipes-bramley-coxes

Given the amount of sherry used (and the cost of that), it was distinctly meh :(

Musefan wrote: »
    Penne with chopped up good quality pork sausages, chestnut mushrooms, tomatoes, garlic, onions and white wine. Not particularly sophisticated but it's heaven on a plate to me!

I do something very similar, but use Tesco's garlic and herb sausage, or their Mediterranean sausage, which makes it very nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

After the nacho chat earlier I remembered it had been a while and so...

3239318.jpg

WZQQ6E0.jpg

I made some really, really nice chili and topped ladled it over tortilla chips with cheese. Then more cheese, then oven time, then added diced tomato, spring onion, sour cream, jalapenos and avocado. Happy, happy food. I need to find somewhere to buy plain tortilla chips though, the ready salted ones are way too salty and I can't always be bothered cutting up tortillas and making my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

An Irish stew kind of weather yesterday

IMG_20150425_153729_zpsn3ouihbv.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,773 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I went for a 'winter-warmer' yesterday & did a plain ol' chicken curry. It was a makey-up recipe with spices & veg that I had to hand. "Best curry ever, Dad!"

I bet that they were lying & are just trying to butter me up for something later today. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭polydactyl

w6wayh.jpg

My husbands request for "ugly Ducking like brisket sandwich" for his birthday

So couldn't get brisket but made do with housekeepers cut

God it was yumm!! Actually it was more than yumm, gravy was drinkable but I restrained myself :)

After the nacho chat earlier I remembered it had been a while and so...

I made some really, really nice chili and topped ladled it over tortilla chips with cheese. Then more cheese, then oven time, then added diced tomato, spring onion, sour cream, jalapenos and avocado. Happy, happy food. I need to find somewhere to buy plain tortilla chips though, the ready salted ones are way too salty and I can't always be bothered cutting up tortillas and making my own.

As far as I know, Tesco's do a lightly salted version, and there are probably main brand name ones too. I'm not sure if you can get totally non-salted ones.

katydid wrote: »
    As far as I know, Tesco's do a lightly salted version, and there are probably main brand name ones too. I'm not sure if you can get totally non-salted ones.

The ones I got are the Tesco lightly salted ones :) You're probably right about completely unsalted versions but I've had Mexican branded chips that are lightly salted but much more lightly salted than I can get in a supermarket. Do like the lightly salted Tesco ones, it's just when I'm adding a rake of chili and cheese that they get a bit much

• Advertisement

The ones I got are the Tesco lightly salted ones :) You're probably right about completely unsalted versions but I've had Mexican branded chips that are lightly salted but much more lightly salted than I can get in a supermarket. Do like the lightly salted Tesco ones, it's just when I'm adding a rake of chili and cheese that they get a bit much

Maybe don't use salt in the chilli? Not much you can do about the cheese.

Venison stew cooked with home made beer, with mushrooms and carrots. 9 hours in the slow cooker; the meat was falling apart.

No pic, a bit messy, just looked like a stew...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Dinner this evening was a packet of koka noodles and some spicy wedges at 1am after an evening in A&E. First thing I'd eaten since earlier today, could've eaten more but bed is calling so better wait until morning.

Looking forward to something more substantial and tasty for dinner tomorrow, hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

Selection of tasty things. Same again this evening with a slightly different M&S salad!

slack_for_ios_upload_1024.png

Hope all is ok StripedBoxers!

Last night's dinner was slow, slow roasted pork shoulder with roast potatoes, carrots and magical gravy made from the delicious liquid the pork was roasted in (which I think was Worcestershire sauce & soy). No photo cos bad light and a plate of assorted browns and tans and it looks...well, like food you'd get in an institution of some sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,004 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    An Irish stew kind of weather yesterday
    ]

That's exactly what we had on Saturday, too!
    Didn't take a pic but it looked remarkably like yours but covered in flat leaf parsley.

Edit : Oh and ours was more boney and had pearl barley in it but apart from that.......

Love Irish stew!

Dinner this evening was a packet of koka noodles and some spicy wedges at 1am after an evening in A&E. First thing I'd eaten since earlier today, could've eaten more but bed is calling so better wait until morning.

Looking forward to something more substantial and tasty for dinner tomorrow, hopefully.

I hope whatever brought you to A&E is sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Roast chicken, sage & onion stuffing, roast potatoes, croquettes, carrots, green beans, broccoli and gravy.
    I ate every bit.

veygeg.jpg

Pumpkin ravioli, goat's cheese and sage sauce and broccoli.

Good combination, but next time I'll have to add some toasted nuts to give it a bit more texture I think.

• Advertisement

That looks really good Shenshen! Is there pumpkin in the pasta dough?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement