Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,773 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Roast chicken with Hasselback potatoes & roasted veg last night. I went a bit overboard on the garlic with the spuds, but apart from that it was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,004 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Roast rack of pork, roast carrots and garlic, charred baby gem lettuce, fried leftover potatoes, rice (odd, I know but Mrs. Beer loves her rice), thyme thin gravy.

Camera battery died so took second pic with my phone - justnot the same:o

6wYP7g.jpg

5z3Z6L.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

That looks really good Shenshen! Is there pumpkin in the pasta dough?

No, just the filling. That's a good idea, though, putting it in the dough. Maybe instead of egg. I'll give that a try and report back :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

That's exactly what we had on Saturday, too!
    Didn't take a pic but it looked remarkably like yours but covered in flat leaf parsley.

Edit : Oh and ours was more boney and had pearl barley in it but apart from that.......

Love Irish stew!

I've made with gigot once but himself found it too difficult to eat much to my disappointment cause I love my bones!

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    I've made with gigot once but himself found it too difficult to eat much to my disappointment cause I love my bones!

I have a butcher near me that sells "lamb pieces". It's a lovely mix of bits of shoulder, shank, rib, lap etc. A great mix of lean meat, bone and not too much fat. Brilliant for stew and dead cheap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Hope all is ok StripedBoxers!.
    katydid wrote: »
    I hope whatever brought you to A&E is sorted.
    Thank you both. My boyfriend broke his hand playing sports which resulted in an evening in A&E, and an operation today. Dinners for the next few days will be quick and easy, pasta, stir fries etc. Hopefully he recovers soon.

As he said "I've gotten out of cooking, washing, drying and cleaning, its not all bad". Smartarse. :P:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Cooking that egg mollee thing as I write. Using coconut though, so hope it swaps pretty much directly quantity wise?

Never really used that flour before either, so now have a pack of it. What else can I use it in :)

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Loanshark Blues

Cooking that egg mollee thing as I write. Using coconut though, so hope it swaps pretty much directly quantity wise?

Never really used that flour before either, so now have a pack of it. What else can I use it in :)

It makes great batter! You can use it for pakoras, bajis, anything like that..
    Just mix it with water (roughly 1:1, maybe a bit less water, the batter should be thick, like batter :P) and whatever spices you like (corriander, turmeric, paprika and cumin work well).

Then just dip whatever you want in it and deep fry for a minute or two to make fritters. Broccoli works well, or even just a bit of shredded onion. Maybe I'll try a Mars bar sometime..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Thank you both. My boyfriend broke his hand playing sports which resulted in an evening in A&E, and an operation today. Dinners for the next few days will be quick and easy, pasta, stir fries etc. Hopefully he recovers soon.

As he said "I've gotten out of cooking, washing, drying and cleaning, its not all bad". Smartarse. :P:D

My husband sometimes jokes that the best time ever was when he broke his arm and I did all the laundry, ironing, cooking and cleaning! Fecker!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Nachos with spicy homemade chili, cheddar and guac. Can't talk, food coma.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Oh boy

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭polydactyl

A pie with the slow cooked beef left over from yesterday. Even more delicious and tender another 24hr later.

sy45ki.jpg

My husband sometimes jokes that the best time ever was when he broke his arm and I did all the laundry, ironing, cooking and cleaning! Fecker!
    My boyfriend was joking that I would have to do all those too, so I reminded him he still has one functioning arm and he was like "yeah, but I wouldn't want to wear it out otherwise I won't have any arms to use". :D Anything to get out of housework. :pac:

Tonight I had lasagne and chips. Really comforting and delicious, perfect for the cold weather we had today.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

The Egg Mollee went well. Three hints though.

The first is I would put the eggs in later in the process next time, as they get in the way of some nice vigorous mixing of the things like flour.

With coconut it comes out quite creamy and thick though. Next time I might cook it slower and longer to allow the spices to flavor it more, and then maybe add either lemon or lime juice to counter the over creaminess a bit.

And finally, the left over sauce went down well the next day with some nan bread. But we added spinach to it and this also improved it greatly.

But otherwise, good recipe. Would work with chicken rather than eggs too I imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,887 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

10928985_10155440248760307_3429265790374238054_n.jpg?oh=2fe1cfa65ffffbb30729b5aaec46ca65&oe=55CCD55A

I made homemade coleslaw for the first time today and it was really yummy. Some more black pepper might have helped it along a bit but I can't really see myself going back to coleslaw from a packet that's been slathered in mayo (except Butler's, feckin' love Butler's coleslaw).

The burger is also homemade and it's accompanied with spicy sweet potato wedges and some fried onion. I thoroughly enjoyed it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

Ooooh coleslaw recipe pretty please? :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Shepherds pie for me and a side of roasted chanteray carrots, sliced red pepper and mangetout

Himself will have the same later with coleslaw and minus the pepper and mangetout

I'm trying to increase my fruit veg and nut intake massively over half the plate tonight was veg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

Was in Spain at the weekend and had my fav. Gambas pil pil :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Fritatta with potatoes, peppers, leftover pork and chorizo. I dunno what was done to it but the potatoes were amazing. Velvety. Toast on the side and dessert of 2 chocolate digestives and tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,468 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Aldi's Lamb Spare Ribs with cous cous and Greek salad.

No pic I'm afraid :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,887 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Ooooh coleslaw recipe pretty please? :)

white cabbage, carrot and red onion and for the sauce it was just mayonnaise, a teaspoon of vinegar and a tiny bit of dijon mustard and black pepper!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I always forget to take a picture of my standard sushi blowout: Tani rainbow sushi, flying fish roe gunkan, and an unhealthy amount of edamame. Now I'm having a satsuma for dessert. Nomnomnom

Tonight was Chinese takeaway, after a long, hectic and tiring day, cooking was not preferable, so the easy option it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bigronnie9

Tilly wrote: »
    Was in Spain at the weekend and had my fav. Gambas pil pil :)

Was there last week with my other half and one of us ordered this every night, addicted! Seeing this picture has made me want to make it at home over the weekend :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

bigronnie9 wrote: »
    Was there last week with my other half and one of us ordered this every night, addicted! Seeing this picture has made me want to make it at home over the weekend :)
    And it's so easy to make and then you get to mop it up with crispy fresh bread. Another thing i'm gonna have this weekend :)

Chicken Thighs with left over tamarind sauce from last week, Thai white rice and sweetheart cabbage with ginger, garlic and lemon.

7XQK2n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bigronnie9

Tilly wrote: »
    And it's so easy to make and then you get to mop it up with crispy fresh bread. Another thing i'm gonna have this weekend :)

I've actually contemplated buying those ceramic bowls they serve it in abroad, if I ever come across them cheap ill be serving these every time someone calls around!

Back on topic, had the cooking clubs Thai Chicken Noodle Soup the last two nights, house smelled like Thailand, magic!

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

How did you cook that cabbage? SOunds yum.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

What an unfortunate turn of events... I popped a bag of rice in the microwave as an accompaniment to a very healthy chilli and salad. Sadly the rice was off already and I was FORCED to make a plate of nachos instead. Pray for me.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

bigronnie9 wrote: »
    I've actually contemplated buying those ceramic bowls they serve it in abroad, if I ever come across them cheap ill be serving these every time someone calls around!

Keep an eye out in Lidl; when they do their Spanish theme stuff, they sometimes have those dishes. In fact, they had the Spanish theme recently, and you could buy already prepared chicken/chorizo tapas in the ceramic dish, with the dish to keep afterwards. A bit on the small side, but...

I have a collection of the bowls I bought in Lidl about 8 of them, and it's great for a tapas evening. Sometimes we just have a tapas evening between the two of us - I cook two things and he cooks two things and afterwards we have lovely manchego cheese...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement