Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,004 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

dibkins wrote: »
    How did you cook that cabbage? SOunds yum.

Just fried it with some thinly sliced ginger, garlic and lemon zest then poured in a drop of rice wine (white wine would be fine), put a lid on until cabbage is cooked to taste. Salt too. Soy sauce if you like too - I didn't this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Picked up a packet of chicken thigh fillets on my way home and we had some mushrooms that were on their way to mushyrooms so tonight we had chicken, mushrooms & bacon in a dijon and cream sauce with white rice. Made look pretty and taste delightful with some parsley and scallion greens mixed through. Overseasoned it to the point of unflattering comparisons with sea water but we suffered through. Made a double portion of rice, tomorrow we'll finish the thigh fillets in a monster pan of chicken fried rice.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I also had mushyrooms so I made a mushroom omelette and side salad.

photo%202_zpsjeu5yzlj.jpg

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Slow cooked chicken tikka massala.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Photo-Sniper

Had a busy service tonight so just got home and grilled some white asparagus. Poured a creamy black truffle butter sauce over them and had them with some freshly baked bread from this morning. The wife cooked some madeira so I'm munching that now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Finished off the lasagne tonight, had it with chips.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Finished off the lasagne tonight, had it with chips.

Lasagne and chips...I can never get that. Carbs on carbs...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

katydid wrote: »

The famine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

You might not get it but lots of us do :)

In my mam's house you'll be getting garlic bread as well :)

My weirdest lasagne combo ever was with 2 scoops of mash, (boiled, boiled, boliled) broccolli & bisto poured over the whole shebang. That was...not to my taste.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

In my mam's house you'll be getting garlic bread as well :)

My weirdest lasagne combo ever was with 2 scoops of mash, (boiled, boiled, boliled) broccolli & bisto poured over the whole shebang. That was...not to my taste.
    Sounds like baby food and you'd eat it with a spoon :D

It was exactly like babyfood Tilly! Very, very soft for my tastes. *shudder*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Thanks lads. Now all I can think about is lasagne and chips.

Chicken fried rice (hot oil - matchstick ginger & sliced garlic - diced chicken thigh - finely sliced red pepper & carrot - dash of soy - cold cooked rice - everything scraped back and eggs with soy scrambled in half the pan - sliced scallion & a teaspoon of laoganma black bean. Oh, and peas for me. No peas for the Mental who does not like peas).

Was really nice! I forgot to add sesame oil so will make the same again soon and drown it.

m3aUfxF.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

bigronnie9 wrote: »
    I've actually contemplated buying those ceramic bowls they serve it in abroad, if I ever come across them cheap ill be serving these every time someone calls around!
    Keep an eye out in Lidl; when they do their Spanish theme stuff, they sometimes have those dishes. In fact, they had the Spanish theme recently, and you could buy already prepared chicken/chorizo tapas in the ceramic dish, with the dish to keep afterwards. A bit on the small side, but...

I have loads of them from M&S. They do a melty cheesy thing that's amazing and they are served in tapas bowls. They're only the small ones but they're obviously oven safe. They're great for serving Tapas or just any dips or snacks at get togethers.

Had beef short rib, with potato cubes and some courgette/carrot ribbons and sweet pepper makey-up thing which was really nice.

347144.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 8,468 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I have loads of them from M&S. They do a melty cheesy thing that's amazing and they are served in tapas bowls. They're only the small ones but they're obviously oven safe. They're great for serving Tapas or just any dips or snacks at get togethers.

Had beef short rib, with potato cubes and some courgette/carrot ribbons and sweet pepper makey-up thing which was really nice.

I have a beef short rib recipe waiting to be made but just need to source the ribs. Are they expensive?

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭polydactyl

Dinner was supposed to be fajitas before friends came over for birthday cake but a baby with tonsillitis delayed the cake making which turned the dinner into rasher sandwiches which left more room for chocoalte fudge cake with additional homemade salt caramel sauce.
    x4hgro.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Mozarella and proscuitto crudo tortellini.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I have a beef short rib recipe waiting to be made but just need to source the ribs. Are they expensive?

These ones weren't, but I cheated. :o

They were frozen ones from Supervalu. I picked some up ages ago and I was stuck for something for dinner last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭javagal

Hake en papillote with tagliatelle with slow roasted vine cherry tomatoes and Serrano ham..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

I finally got around to grab a bottle of the much talked about Aldi's Rogan Josh, added to chicken and green peppers. It was delicious. Made Nasi Lemak to go with it. I also made Assam Tamarind Prawns, but accidentally overcooked the prawns. Sigh.

Tonight I got Moy Park's new roast chicken in a bag - really really tasty. Yummers! I would've taken it out of the oven 10-15 minutes earlier though. Will definitely get it again. Served with mashed potatoes and peas.

IMG_20150501_003219_zpsuo3tn6a9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Tonight was bacon, cabbage, carrots, brussel sprouts, mash and gravy.

Disaster. Cabbage and spuds were overdone, carrots, sprouts and meat were only okay. Disappointed.

@Mrs Fox which moy park chicken did you get? I got the garlic & herb one the other day, haven't cooked it yet. What cooking time & temps would you recommend for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

@Mrs Fox which moy park chicken did you get? I got the garlic & herb one the other day, haven't cooked it yet. What cooking time & temps would you recommend for it?

The one that says extra tasty :D
    It was extra tasty.
    I'd stick to the recommended temperature 200℃. But I would've just cooked it for 75 min - 80 min max. The recommended 90 min is ok if you like disintegrating breast meat kind of texture, like a lot of people would I'm guessing as I always get them when I'm served roast chicken at my in laws or hospitals :D

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

Ribs. Nomnom.
    slack_for_ios_upload_1024.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Pork stir-fry last night.

I put in thinly sliced courgette, carrot, peppers, sweetcorn, chillies, sugarsnap peas, tenderstem broccoli, scallions and pork strips, served with slightly over-cooked egg noodles.

It was delicious. But I didn't eat the broccoli stalks cos they were a bit woody and hard.

Do you guys eat them?

111440h.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bigronnie9

Keep an eye out in Lidl; when they do their Spanish theme stuff, they sometimes have those dishes. In fact, they had the Spanish theme recently, and you could buy already prepared chicken/chorizo tapas in the ceramic dish, with the dish to keep afterwards. A bit on the small side, but...

I have a collection of the bowls I bought in Lidl about 8 of them, and it's great for a tapas evening. Sometimes we just have a tapas evening between the two of us - I cook two things and he cooks two things and afterwards we have lovely manchego cheese...

BaZmO* wrote: »

Thanks a million for the tips! looks like ill be stopping off in lidl and M&S over the weekend....got to love tapas!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,773 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I love broccoli stems myself. Tenderstem I eat whole, for regular broccoli I would chop off the thick stem & take off the outer skin with a peeler. Then I thinly slice the stem into batons (like bamboo shoots) before adding to salads or Thai curries or stir fries.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,773 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Friday night's are 'Pizza Night' in the Billy household - a tradition started when I was away in Switz. I've done my best to join in since I came home, but pizza just ain't my thing. So, this morning I decided to have a bit of a think about 'fast food' that I could have of a Friday evening.

As luck would have it, I came across this recipe by one of my fave Irish food writers earlier & it gave me a real hankerin' for Bacon Ribs. I have them simmering away right now & am salivating at the salty smell.

I may forego the salad though & just have a feast of ribs & bottled Guinness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Short ribs are one my favourite cuts. If buying I suggest to try this recipe, so easy.

I usually just serve with mash although have done it all

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

fussyonion wrote: »
    But I didn't eat the broccoli stalks cos they were a bit woody and hard.

Do you guys eat them?

No I don't eat them either.

Tonight we had minced beef pie with mash and peas. Notice I didn't put gravy on the pastry for fear of making it soggy ;)

152ykv7.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement