Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Tortillas with tomato and basil tuna and lettuce, which were yummy. Then two Tesco bacon and cheese chicken kievs. I can honestly say that I haven't tasted something so vile in a long time; tasteless, dry, and mealy. Was supposed to be a guilty treat, turned out to be a terrible mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Dinner tonight was Nandos style chicken in pita with spinach, onion and cucumber. Chips too.

Lovely and comforting. Just what we needed for this evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

Dinner tonight was Nandos style chicken in pita with spinach, onion and cucumber. Chips too.

Lovely and comforting. Just what we needed for this evening.
    Did you get the Nandos spices in the end for your rice?

Tilly wrote: »
    Did you get the Nandos spices in the end for your rice?
    No, completely forgot to look for them to be honest. Been a hectic week so will have a look for them this week, hopefully I'll be able to find them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Pit stop in McDonald's on the road to Far, Far Away for the weekend. All bloated and thirsty now :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Pit stop in McDonald's on the road to Far, Far Away for the weekend. All bloated and thirsty now :/

I hear ya.
    It's not often I go to McDonald's, but when I do, I practically inhale the food.
    An hour later and I'm starving.
    And absolutely parched with the thirst, even if I've had a large Coke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Tapas in Hippitys in Temple Bar near the Central Bank.

The previous evening, I had a visit from an old friend, and two children, who wanted fish and chips. Intending to go to Burdocks from hotel on Parnell Square, the walk was okay. But when I mentioned not sitting down, that raised an objection. So I thought, "hmm, fish and chips, fish and chips" and thought of Beshoffs on Westmoreland Street. When I was asked, "is it okay?" I knew deep down, it wasn't and had another rattle around the head.

Thankfully, I remembered Kingfishers on the other side of Parnell Square. I hadn't been for 30 years since I was in Bolton St. It was acceptable enough. Fresh haddocks all round!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭YellowFeather

For some reason, I'm thinking of making a fish pie with, maybe, coconut milk, or else mushroom/tomato/bechamel sauce. I may or may not add cheese. Going to use sweet potatoes for the topping, and inside probably carrots, garlic, green beans and sweetpeas. And ginger, maybe. Thinking salmon and prawns and some sort of white fish.

As you can tell - I have a solid plan for this dinner! :p Need to make my mind up quickly as the market near me is closing in 23 minutes..

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

For some reason, I'm thinking of making a fish pie with, maybe, coconut milk, or else mushroom/tomato/bechamel sauce. I may or may not add cheese. Going to use sweet potatoes for the topping, and inside probably carrots, garlic, green beans and sweetpeas. And ginger, maybe. Thinking salmon and prawns and some sort of white fish.

As you can tell - I have a solid plan for this dinner! :p Need to make my mind up quickly as the market near me is closing in 23 minutes..

Fish pie with coconut milk sounds fab. I think there's gonna be another chilli non carni moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I'd eat fish pie with coconut milk and a sweet potato topping! Maybe not with smoked fish but some kind of white fish or salmon and a little chili, I'd absolutely give it a whirl.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭YellowFeather

Yah. I couldn't get coconut milk - it was a rushed shop, but I got everything else (and some more). I may head out to one of the other shops, 'cause now I want coconut milk, and nothing else will do.

I got salmon and prawns and random white fish (don't know what it is with its weird German name, but it looked good).

Chilli flakes definitely. I want to add carrots - as carrots are awesome - but I don't know if it will take away from it a bit, rather than just going with fish, and coconut, and white/green veggie things.

This is just something that I want to cook and have in the freezer for next week - I have become so bad at making proper meals.

Jamie Oliver's 15 minute green tea salmon with coconut rice and miso veggies. Jaysus, it was gorgeous. I reckon that Oliver lad might be able to make a career out of the auld cooking.

photo%201_zpsmy9kiapl.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Someone in here or possibly in tCC gnocchi thread (note: I just had to run back and edit spelling of that from 'knocky'. Saturday evening dopiness is here in full force) mentioned baked gnocchi and that triggered an immense craving in me. We had some stuffed gnocchi in the freezer from a Lidl 'luxury food' type event so made a very simple tomato sauce (threw some getting-to-the-end-of-their-days cherry tomatoes in a blender with a tin of plum tomatoes, a glug of olive oil, salt & sugar and reduced it down in a pan), poured it over the gnocchi and dolloped a little mascarpone on top and covered it all in parmesan and baked it alongside some lemon chicken thighs. Well it was perfect. Exactly what I was after.

Thanks to whoever afflicted me with the craving :)

cANa2OV.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Polka_Dot

I made a Thai red curry with prawns last night, it turned out really well. The prawns were already cooked so I just heated them up separately in a frying pan with some lime juice, coriander and chili and then put the curry over them and the rice on the plate. It was my boyfriend's suggestion to do them that way and it ended up being lovely.

On a similar, but lazier note tonight, my mother had bought some prawns and fish in filo pastry for me earlier in the week, so I put those in the oven and cooked some noodles to go along with it, throwing in the remaining coriander and chili from yesterday and some more lime juice and soy sauce. Very nice dinners both nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Polka_Dot wrote: »
    I made a Thai red curry with prawns last night, it turned out really well. The prawns were already cooked so I just heated them up separately in a frying pan with some lime juice, coriander and chili and then put the curry over them and the rice on the plate. It was my boyfriend's suggestion to do them that way and it ended up being lovely.
    You have to be very careful when cooking prawns as they're very easy to overcook. Whenever I use frozen prawns in a dish they always go in at the last minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Polka_Dot

Yeah I literally just warmed them up in the frying pan before serving! Thought they might overcook in the curry sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Made the chicken and chorizo rice bake for the guy I'm seeing. http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2055822034
    I think this was the 6th recipe in the Cooking Club and still one of my go to dishes. Today I rubbed olive oil, paprika and garlic granules onto the chicken skin prior to browning on the pan. The skin crisped up really well and was quite tasty.
    I used the Tesco Finest spicy chorizo however, and its not the best. The Sol chorizo is much nicer.

We started the meal with a sharing plate of Serrano ham, manchego cheese, olives, sourdough bread and basil dipping oil. Very tasty meal!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

We had dinner in Camden Kitchen (Dublin) last night. My husband really liked it, I wasn't as convinced. I had a pork terrine to start which was sadly ice-cold and full of lumps of pickles... I would have preferred them on the side. My main of pork was nice but for some reason they turfed tablespoons of wholegrain mustard in to the mashed potato which made it inedible.

The vanilla pannacotta at the end was gorgeous but I couldn't believe the stingy amount of dessert wine we were served. We got about an inch of wine each at 8 quid a pop.

Am I just getting grumpier or is it really hard to find restaurants that you can reliably go to for dinner without complaint? My only go-tos at the moment in Dublin are La Bodega (tapas place in Ranelagh), Darwins, Matt the Thresher and FX Buckley. Too many disappointments lately!!

Dinner tonight was home made pizzas. Delicious as always and plenty left over for tomorrow too.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,773 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I made my tCC Vindaloo tonight (with a few tweaks), served with coconut rice, raita, popadums & naans, chutneys & pickles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,004 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

@homemadecider
    Terrine is always served cold.
    Was the issue that it was chilled rather room temp?

With the dessert wine, I'd have smelled it, had a little sip, said it was lovely and held out my glass for more!

With the dessert wine, I'd have smelled it, had a little sip, said it was lovely and held out my glass for more!
    Ha! I must remember that one. :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Steak on the bbq. Going to try to use it once a fortnight from now on. Served with cous cous and a kind of potato salad. I was licking the plate when I realised I hadn't taken a pic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Sirloin steak from Aldi. Four euro for two, could hardly believe it.

It was absolutely gorgeous, cut like butter and tasted beautiful. Off to Aldi to buy more for the freezer. Happy bbqs ahead - if the weather ever improves.

beertons wrote: »
    Steak on the bbq. Going to try to use it once a fortnight from now on. Served with cous cous and a kind of potato salad. I was licking the plate when I realised I hadn't taken a pic.

I don't want to see a picture of you licking a plate! :P

Made some pasta today and topped it with a sauce of oven dried tomatoes, tomato pesto, cream, fresh basil and a squeeze of lemon, and some pan-fried king prawns. Sometimes I do good :)

photo%201_zpsydv2zaps.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

bigronnie9 wrote: »
    Thanks a million for the tips! looks like ill be stopping off in lidl and M&S over the weekend....got to love tapas!

Spied these in Lidl in Gurranabraher in Cork today. They have a pack of 4 for around 5 or 6 euro so hopefully you can pick them up in your local branch :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Carbonara in the Patriot's Inn in Kilmainham. V. tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭dmc17

Just made some Singapore Noodles there. May have gone a bit overboard with the chilli. Mouth is on fire :D

SingaporeNoodle_zpsjsm3uz5l.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Had a relative over yesterday who's been craving for Chicken Rice, so I made Minder's Vietnamese Roast Chicken from the cooking club, served with jasmine rice cooked in lemongrass and ginger infused chicken broth.
    Made two sauces - first was dark sweet soy with garlic and bird's eye chilli. Second was sesame and groundnut oil with grated ginger and spring onion.
    Also served with shredded gem lettuce, cucumber and cherry tomatoes, with a side bowl of seasoned chicken broth.
    My niece brought over chilli fried tempeh in slivers of crispy fried potatoes.
    Happy belly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement