Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,773 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Homemade Tom Kha Gai for myself last night while the others 'treated' themselves to takeaway. They were all "Awww - that smells lovely Dad - is there any left?" "Nope."

Apparently, I have to make it for dinner again tonight. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Last night was Aldi's striploin steaks, Supervalu garlic baby potatoes and garlic, cheese spinach.

It was "meh", the potatoes weren't nice, the had a grassy taste, no garlic or anything, the spinach wasn't great either, it was over done, the steaks were fine, but I under-cooked them first, then put them back on the pan and they came out over cooked.

It was also late when we ate, as someone else had the kitchen from 4-9.30 while cooking a stew. They chopped one veg at a time, and added them in one at a time, no prepping them all before hand, nope.

I'm not as grumpy as I sound :o

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭biddywiddy

First BBQ of the year yesterday. We shared a massive piece of ribeye (that was just my first helping), grilled corn, onion, green salad and peas. Washed down with a bottle of Pinot Noir.

347586.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

We had another roast chicken yesterday evening.
    Really love the whole chickens from Aldi. They're a bargain and so tender and tasty.

Served it with sage and onion stuffing, gravy, croquettes, roast potatoes, sugarsnap peas, broccoli, carrots and a Yorkshire pudding.
    Had a lovely glass of Castillo Diablo Sauvignon Blanc with it too.
    Plenty of chicken and stuffing leftover today. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Homemade Tom Kha Gai for myself last night while the others 'treated' themselves to takeaway. They were all "Awww - that smells lovely Dad - is there any left?" "Nope."

Apparently, I have to make it for dinner again tonight. :)

Was going to make myself one this evening with leftover dinner from last night but himself bought a couple of flat irons and a bag of potatoes; someone sure showed me what he wants for dinner.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

Medium rare steak with grilled tomatoes wilted bok choi and sweet potato wedges

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

I took out what I thought was steak to make Singapore noodles. Turns out I took out two lamb chops. They were lovely but kinda had my heart set on noodles :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

I always give meat/fish a sniff when taking it of the freezer. Only way I can tell chicken breast from turkey /steak from lamb and most of all -hake, cod & plaice apart.
    Of course if I was sensible I'd put tags on them :p

Kovu wrote: »
    I always give meat/fish a sniff when taking it of the freezer. Only way I can tell chicken breast from turkey /steak from lamb and most of all -hake, cod & plaice apart.
    Of course if I was sensible I'd put tags on them :p
    I usually only have chicken in the freezer cause that's usually all I eat. My Mam buys me steak to get "iron into ya" but totally forgot a had bought a few lamb chops for when she's over next cause they're her fav. So not only was I let down, I also ate my Mams future dinner :p

Hahaha your poor mum! I have a multitude of things in our freezer as I never know what I want and am *shock horror for a farming mod* not a giant meat eater so I try a bit of everything to see what I like.

I'd have just made different noodles with the lamb, maybe fried them and then make a broth out of juices and herbs etc. Reduced it down and such. Had gorgeous noodles in Dundrum Saturday evening, the guy in the centre.

• Advertisement

Kovu wrote: »
    Hahaha your poor mum! I have a multitude of things in our freezer as I never know what I want and am *shock horror for a farming mod* not a giant meat eater so I try a bit of everything to see what I like.

I'd have just made different noodles with the lamb, maybe fried them and then make a broth out of juices and herbs etc. Reduced it down and such. Had gorgeous noodles in Dundrum Saturday evening, the guy in the centre.
    And this is why I asked you months ago to come live in my apt and the cow can stay on the patio. You're a genius!

You need to start posting more again. I miss your posts x

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We had a celebration dinner for Mr. Dizzy's birthday today. Slow roasted leg of lamb with garlic and rosemary, a spatchcocked chicken (for those who don't eat red meat) with garlic, lemon and peri peri salt on the skin. Roast potatoes, cauliflower, broccoli and carrot & swede mash. Rhubarb & strawberry crumble with custard for dessert.

Today I made lamb stew and bacon and mushroom pasta. Both made for freezing.

I had the stew, and it was delicious as always, my boyfriend had the pasta and said it was delicious, so much so, that he wants some for lunch tomorrow. Not often that happens. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭CarpeDiem85

It was the first time I made lemon crusted cod today. I just mixed fresh parsley, the juice of one lemon, some breadcrumbs and a knob of butter and spread it over the cod. It was divine and so fresh. Definitely adding it to my rotation of recipes. Yum :)

Tilly wrote: »
    And this is why I asked you months ago to come live in my apt and the cow can stay on the patio. You're a genius!

You need to start posting more again. I miss your posts x

:D I haven't had time recently to cook anything worthy of posting. But I shall start again soon. Have lots of things to practice in order to choose which I want to post for the cooking club!

(Also my milk cow had twins so no fresh milk for me this year :( And disclaimer, please don't go milking strange cows, I've always done it on ours but could make people sick!)

Tonight we are having the new Moy Park roast in a bag chicken in the garlic & herb flavour.

Will have it with scallion mash, broccoli, carrots, spinach, peas and gravy.

Hope the chicken is nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

I made wafer thin omelettes and wrapped up some spicy stir fried veg in them. I'm sure it wasn't ground breaking but I'm so pleased with myself! They were lovely and light :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Chicken Madras using the lovely Madras sauce from Aldi.
    I added peppers and a handful of peas too. Served with basmati rice.

9bdcvb.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Red lentil dahl with chicken, using the spices from Green Saffron. Fabulous...

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭biddywiddy

Chicken madras with a random selection of vegetables thrown in. Operation clear out the fridge is underway! Used Pataks paste. Really tasty. Served with basmati rice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Pork chop, mushrooms, onions, thin pan gravy thing, baked potato, muchos butter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Having people around tonight so have made lasagne this morning and have done my usual thing of cooking a big dish for the freezer too. I tend to do that anytime I'm cooking anything semi laborious. Can't wait to dig in later!

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭padzer

biddywiddy wrote: »
    Chicken madras with a random selection of vegetables thrown in. Operation clear out the fridge is underway! Used Pataks paste. Really tasty. Served with basmati rice.

Same here, Pataks Madras, except I made it with lamb and did it in the slow cooker for the first time. I cant wait to get out of work to get stuck into it.

My little fella is learning a few irish words in playschool at the moment, doesnt fancy the idea of a dogs curry!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,773 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Roast chicken with cous cous, & a strawberry, goat's cheese, cucumber & basil salad with a peppery balsamic & honey vinaigrette.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Makood

Lidl chicken gougons-They are on the XXL special this week. Best I have ever tasted. A really light breadcrumb coating.
    A nice buttery mash and a frozen pea and sweetcorn mix, topped with butter.

Tonight-Same veg along with some cauli that needs using and roasted free range Aldi chicken. I really love those chickens and think they are much better than the standard offering. Any opinions?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Spiced meatballs casserole on quinoa tabbouleh, and my friend gem lettuce.

IMG_20150506_190425_zps4q87ijfp.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,468 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Makood wrote: »
    Tonight-Same veg along with some cauli that needs using and roasted free range Aldi chicken. I really love those chickens and think they are much better than the standard offering. Any opinions?

When we have a roast, it's almost always free range chicken. Like their eggs, I think it's more for the 'less guilt' factor than taste. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Went to Fish Shop in Smithfield for dinner just now, the special was battered brill with chips and tartare sauce. It was absolutely delicious.

However, we thought the board said €10.50, but it was actually €19.50. Is that a normal price for that piece of fish? It seems astronomical. But the fish was eaten so it had to be paid for...

Tonight is takeaway. Having had less than two hours sleep last night, and a long day today, half of which was spent in hospital, cooking just wasn't an option for us (well me, considering my bf can't cook at the moment!).

Pizza, Pasta and garlic mushrooms.

Much needed and welcomed comfort food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Braised lamb shanks with gremolata over cheesey grits.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement