Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Makood wrote: »
    Tonight-Same veg along with some cauli that needs using and roasted free range Aldi chicken. I really love those chickens and think they are much better than the standard offering. Any opinions?

We had this exact chicken tonight!! They get so plump and wonderful when they're roasted. Roasted it with butter under the skin and salt & pepper on top, magic chicken. The leftovers will go into risotto tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Went to Fish Shop in Smithfield for dinner just now, the special was battered brill with chips and tartare sauce. It was absolutely delicious.

However, we thought the board said €10.50, but it was actually €19.50. Is that a normal price for that piece of fish? It seems astronomical. But the fish was eaten so it had to be paid for...

I noticed brill today in the fish market stall for the first time so got a fillet. Just over €8 and they'd be not bad for pricing usually. I hope it's nice :pac::D
    Last night was confit duck leg, honey roast parsnips & red onion.

(Are you happy now Tilly :P!)
    aUiTZSvm.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Southern fried chicken, mashed potato with butter, garlic fried spinach, mashed swede, cabbage boiled in chicken stock and croquettes all covered in onion gravy.

I couldn't have been hungrier before it and couldn't be fuller now. Portion number three will eaten soon. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

Yes, yes i am :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Last night we had marinated roasted spicy chicken wings with bbq sauce. Sticky deliciousness.

Tonight we had roasted salmon with stir-fried veg and soba noodles, with an Asian dressing of soy, chilli, garlic, rice wine vinegar, lime juice, honey and olive oil.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Hungarian goulash with rice. I had no sour cream or yoghurt, but a dollop of garlic mayo went nicely with it.

wttyk7.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

I've missed you, Tom Kerridge. Made his mushroom butter chicken, served with baked sweet potato, braised carrots and petit pois, and jus. Good eating.

IMG_20150507_193756_zpsxhpv7pwm.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

The culinary pub grub tour of west Dublin 8 continues! Dropped into The Black Lion in Inchicore to watch the football knowing their kitchen opens till 9pm. As I don't eat much western food at home, I always plump for the option to choose something like roast beef and yorkshire pud. No YP last night, just roast and mash spuds and veg. And gravy. With crispy skin. Delicious. I think the flavour is enhanced by the rarity of the treat!

A couple of weeks ago I had turkey and ham in Kays in the Jervis centre. I loves me turkey!

The Black Lion is a beautiful pub. I'd never realised while frequenting Inoteca next door! Lots of wood panelling. Reminds me of a church, lots of gothic arches...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Chicken, bacon & mushroom risotto. Finished with loads of parmesan and a slice of butter melted through (did an 'Italian Rice' cooking class a few years ago, which was aces, and the cooks said that risotto should always be finished with butter. It hasn't been very good for my ability to fit into my clothes but it's been a great life lesson when it comes to eating super amazing risotto)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Chicken, bacon & mushroom risotto. Finished with loads of parmesan and a slice of butter melted through (did an 'Italian Rice' cooking class a few years ago, which was aces, and the cooks said that risotto should always be finished with butter. It hasn't been very good for my ability to fit into my clothes but it's been a great life lesson when it comes to eating super amazing risotto)

Yeah, apparently you put a knob of butter and a ton of Parmesan in, take off the heat, cover the pan and leave it alone for a few minutes. It definitely makes risotto even more amazing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 440 ✭✭biddywiddy

Dinner last night was a random selection of leftover curry and stuff found in the back of the freezer. Trying to clear out the fridge and freezer as much as possible before we head back to Ireland next week for a holiday.

Tonight was our second al fresco dinner. Strip steak ( sadly overlooked- I find timings so difficult on the BBQ), Brussels Sprouts grilled in a foil parcel with olive oil and balsamic (heat was a bit high for this I think, balsamic reduced to a burnt layer on the bottom, sob) and potatoes! Washed down with a Spanish Tempranillo that was just fine considering it came from the 3 for $10 section. :)

Even though it was a bit meh, still excited to be eating outside! In shorts! And I think it's still too early for mosquitoes?

348009.png

Oh and we had lots of potatoes left over. They're destined for tomorrow's lunch boxes of randomness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    I've missed you, Tom Kerridge. Made his mushroom butter chicken, served with baked sweet potato, braised carrots and petit pois, and jus. Good eating.

Could I please get the receipe for the chicken? It looks wonderful.

Miaireland wrote: »
    Could I please get the receipe for the chicken? It looks wonderful.

Sure, I'll put it up in the cooking club's random recipe thread later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

hi, first post in here, said id share my jerk chicken :)

easiest tastiest dinner ever id say , got a chicken in lidl for 3.49,cut it in half down the middle , coat with the jerk paste and add the spice blend on top ..stick in a bag in the fridge for 24 hours.

2i0dhdh.jpg

pop outa the fridge and coat again with jerk spice blend,leave for a hour or so ,stick in pre heated oven for 45 mins or so at 180,remove and cover in foil for 10 mins to allow to relax ..

for the rice i just boiled up a pot, stir fried some veg and polish sausage,chillis etc,whatever your into,throw your rice in at the end to mix through ,the dipping sauce is beyond divine,i always put in a ramekin and into the warm oven to heat through..

result

rmqix4.jpg

11w98k1.jpg

we like big portions :)

^^^Look at that skin! Gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Lousy, horrible, cold and rainy weather, so tonight it had to be a stew of some kind.

I went back to my roots and made a bean goulash with some baguette from Lidl. And very yummy and warming 'twas, too. :)

Dessert will be a slice of the Linzer Torte I made yesterday. Austria all the way today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭javagal

My favourite of the aldi jar curries, chicken and spinach dopiaza with cauliflower rice. First time to try it as rice and pleasantly surprised..
    Served with naan and poppadoms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Homemade steak & kidney pie, coleslaw & rabbit food with a onion & herb dressing.
    Nobody else in the house eats kidney so all for me. Oh noes, poor me.....;)

Zyt55cll.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Home made pizzas tonight, and I tried the pizza base MissFlitworth recommended http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/may/10/dan-lepard-pizza-dough-tomato-sauce-recipes
    It was the nicest base I've ever made :)

2ufa6a8.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

A disgusting plate of Pad Thai Noodles from Camile Thai.
    My God, it was vile.
    A big heap of brown sticky noodles with TWO PRAWNS and TWO PIECES of chicken and just not enough of anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Tandoori mixed grill from Jewel in the Crown with garlic naan and a wee bit of saag aloo. Mr. Merkin had a hot madras, vegetable rice and chipatti....nyummy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭dee_mc

fussyonion wrote: »
    A disgusting plate of Pad Thai Noodles from Camile Thai.
    My God, it was vile.
    A big heap of brown sticky noodles with TWO PRAWNS and TWO PIECES of chicken and just not enough of anything else.

I had an underwhelming Pad Thai at The Beacon last weekend (although I got 3 rubbery prawns and maybe 5 pieces of chicken, with enough noodles to feed 3) but the calamari starter and hot chocolate brownie dessert made up for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

From the other day:

Pan basted Silver Hill duck breasts (cheap from Aldi a while back - amazing product as always), sour cherry and honey jus (bit too much honey), grilled tomatoes, English asparagus, fried polenta cake.

5enSuN.jpg

Last Sunday, my 85 year old mother did roast lamb for herself and my 88 year old father. I got some of the leftovers:D
    Only one thing to do with leftover roast lamb! : Proper shepherd's pie:D

7nHwq5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

^hope you brought some of that around to your folks! Looks delish

I made the cooking club korma last night. Smelt amazing but next time I might add a tad more spice. It was a teeny tiny bit lacking in flavour.

yellow hen wrote: »
    ^hope you brought some of that around to your folks! Looks delish
    Oh, they made their own.
    They'd prefer their own version!

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Makood

From the other day:

Pan basted Silver Hill duck breasts (cheap from Aldi a while back - amazing product as always), sour cherry and honey jus (bit too much honey), grilled tomatoes, English asparagus, fried polenta cake.

Bought a few of those breast as well, and lovely they are-I think it was two for €2? Used the last of them Thursday :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Salmon with a pile of spinach, leeks and courgette cooked in butter and obscene amounts of garlic. Pesto and sour cream sauce on the side.

IMG_20150509_183039_zpsxne6sw3z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Makood

Roast 1/2 chicken-Aldi free range again. Potato cubes air fried and a 1st for us-A 3 bean salad. We ate every last bit of the bean salad and mostly ignored the chicken!

Tonight-Same as yesterday!

hwifck.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Decided to make some dessert to have while we're watching a movie, I got some gorgeous-smelling strawberries today so I dipped them in 74% dark chocolate. These won't last long!

IMG_20150509_195845_zpsoqhmfhah.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement