Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Last night, I was making a lovely Indian curry. Opened the chicken, and thought I got a bit of a pong. Smelt it again and it seemed ok (I am kinda bunged up at the mo). Was cooking off the chicken with the last of the veg left in the fridge, and there was one horrible smell of fish from the chicken. So threw it in the bin as I felt it was a bit dodge. Ended up getting a takeaway.
    Today it was meatballs in tomato sauce with pasta. I used fussyonion's recipe from http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=86003327&postcount=2 and it was fab!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Crustless quiche with spinach, broccoli and whiskey-smoked bacon topped with cheddar.

IMAG1441_zps88043165.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

We made chicken stir fry tonight but it went arseways and I just didn't like it at all so ate very little of it.

I made some homemade mushroom soup for lunches and had a bowl of that with some brown bread and enjoyed it thoroughly, it was delicious, and filling too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Crustless quiche with spinach, broccoli and whiskey-smoked bacon topped with cheddar.

Recipe please??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Recipe please??

I didn't use a recipe per se (bit of a makey uppy job) but here's what I did:

- Preheat oven to 170 (fan oven)

- Chop up about 150g smoked bacon and fry in a tiny bit of olive oil until just cooked

- Use the cooking fat to grease your baking dish and then lay the bacon out in a layer

- Add a layer of cooked brocolli (I steamed it for about 5 mins) - as much or as little as you like

- Chop up 2 big handfuls of spinach and then mix it into 6 large beaten eggs, a glug of milk and a few turns of black pepper

- Pour the eggy spinach mixture over the bacon and brocolli

- Top with 60g strong cheddar

- Bake in the oven for about 30 mins

I cut mine into 6 and each portion is 250 cals (for anyone counting!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,939 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Normal service resumes: Mrs Beer is home:D

Last night we had the ray wing, potato and Jerusalem artichoke fish cakes that I made a week or so ago. They crisped up lovely in the oven ( I had blanched them in oil before freezing). Stirfried cabbage and a loose salsa verde to go with them.

7UFtQd.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Normal service resumes: Mrs Beer is home:D

Last night we had the ray wing, potato and Jerusalem artichoke fish cakes that I made a week or so ago. They crisped up lovely in the oven ( I had blanched them in oil before freezing). Stirfried cabbage and a loose salsa verde to go with them.
    That looks lovely!
    I discovered last week that Jerusalem artichoke is called topinambour over here, it's what poorer people ate in France during the occupation. It grows wild all over the place where my in laws live, I'm thinking of collecting some, it's outrageously expensive in the supermarkets over here (it's gone fashionable!). Would love to try it in fish cakes as you have.

That looks lovely!
    I discovered last week that Jerusalem artichoke is called topinambour over here, it's what poorer people ate in France during the occupation. It grows wild all over the place where my in laws live, I'm thinking of collecting some, it's outrageously expensive in the supermarkets over here (it's gone fashionable!). Would love to try it in fish cakes as you have.

Also called sunchokes (as they are related to the sunflower, and not related to artichokes at all) or fartychokes in our house.

They make amazing velvety soup, are nice roast, grated raw for slaw and are great mixed with potato and roast garlic for mash (texture isn't great used alone for mash). Very, very easy to grow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Also called sunchokes (as they are related to the sunflower, and not related to artichokes at all) or fartychokes in our house.

They make amazing velvety soup, are nice roast, grated raw for slaw and are great mixed with potato and roast garlic for mash (texture isn't great used alone for mash). Very, very easy to grow.
    I'm not even going to bother to grow them, I have black fingers! :) I know a spot where there is a rake of them growing (I like gathering wild food, wild asparagus is gorgeous, as are wild leaks, and various salads. We also collect sweet chestnuts and make jam with them, nom)

EDIT and how could I forget about mushrooms! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Last night I made a pie with shin beef, onions and carrots and a shortcrust pastry top. We had it with mashed potatoes, broccoli and sprouts and a jug of extra gravy from the casserole dish the beef was cooked in.
    Lovely winter food :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Had black pepper squid to start and then teriyaki salmon with noodles. Felt like a light Oriental dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Grow like weeds. If you leave any part of a tuber in the ground, you will get another plant. I spent three years pulling the things up after planting a crop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

Falafel.

2mzcsvl.jpg

With tzatziki, hummous, salad leaves, onion and tomato. And pitta.

20feuld.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Had Malay Chicken Kurma last night. Atul Kocchar was on Sunday Brunch again and he made this so I thought I'd give it a bash.

He mentioned that most Malaysians use coconut milk made from coconut powder even though the county actually produces a lot of coconut milk.

Was watching that too. This is the popular brand in Malaysia, which can be found in Dublin's Asia Market:
    malaysian-coconut-cream-powder-serbuk-krim-kelapa-segera-250g-6372-p.jpg

I personally hate the taste of coconut cream powder. Freshly squeezed coconut milk is readily available in almost all grocers so I can't understand why people would go for the sawdust stuff. I'd rather use canned ones.
    How did you find the kurma, Bazmo? Generally kurmas would taste very much like Curry Addict's Malaysian Curry.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,382 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Pot roast meatloaf. Might add something to give it more of a kick the next time. Decent first attempt.

Simple fried and grilled chicken thighs, wet polenta, carrots, left over not very nice cabbage, white wine onion thyme chicken jus.

4Hesy3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    I personally hate the taste of coconut cream powder. Freshly squeezed coconut milk is readily available in almost all grocers so I can't understand why people would go for the sawdust stuff. I'd rather use canned ones.
    In Ireland?

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    How did you find the kurma, Bazmo? Generally kurmas would taste very much like Curry Addict's Malaysian Curry.
    It was lovely. The balance of spices was gorgeous. It was a bit different to CA's one in that the spices were more balanced towards the Aniseed flavour. It was overall a nicer curry when I made it on Tuesday as I used a can of coconut milk. I also added chopped courgettes to bulk it out a bit.

I made a Potato, Cabbage and Cheese bake for dinner last night, served with lamb chops. Absolutely amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 lisatu

Last night we had homemade pork meatballs and barley. For the mushroom lovers in the house they got a creamy mushroom sauce with theirs. The mushroom haters had peas and chef red sauce with theirs.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    In Ireland?

Sorry, in Malaysia I meant.

Last night dinner was a lazy beef stir fry with rice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

Last night I had a few drinks after work and was three sheets to the wind when cooking which resulted in waaay too much garlic and chili, made a curry which was practically inedible.

Tonight is supposed to be soup and salad but I got a delivery of Masterfoods barbecue sauce so it may have to be chips and something!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭nompere

I have some Italian inlaws, they nearly choked when I said my mum always serves lasagne with chips!

Mine always used to serve it with, chips, mash, courgettes (watery), broccoli (watery) and carrots.

That's not what I'm having for dinner!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Simple enough dinner tonight, two piri piri pork chops, corn and spinach mixed together with garlic and sweet potato wedges cooked in olive oil and cayenne pepper then added a few drops of Heinz hot sauce, which by the way is my new favorite sauce, been putting it on everything lately.

Try it :).

14065-0w0h0_Heinz_Heinz_Smokey_Spiced_Chipotle_Garlic_Hot_Sauce.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Helping me forget my looooong day at work

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭kfc1

My sister invited me for dinner; she served up shop-bought lasagne served with potatoes. POTATOES! An entire meal of WTF? I was very disappointed! Luckily I brought enough wine to down an army so I tucked into that :)

I can beat that - my sis serves her lasagne with SCONES!!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

Plain penne pasta (no sauce) served with lasagne when I was growing up. I never knew so many irish homes struggled with it until this thread!

Had Chicken cabbage and cider casserole from the cooking club. Delish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Was going to make chicken thighs with potatoes & gravy this evening and have a Mammy dinner but the whole thing was so blah (I think Mammy dinners require visiting my Mam) and Tesco Value Chicken Thighs are *weird* (like they include a chunk of the rib cage in order to make them look massive) so I gave up on that for a laugh and turned the potatoes into papas arrugadas which I then made into a warm salad with shredded chicken thighs, peas & a very mustardy dressing.

e16ab5fb-37d3-42f0-8f48-99e0266a6079_zps6514ce4a.jpg

Paired with a really upsetting documentary (Whore's Glory on Netflix if anyone fancies dispairing for humanity) and a diet coke that I had no lime to go into. Moan moan moan moan moan...

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭fiddlechic

Last night I had an amazing goat's cheese and pea risotto from Jamie Oliver - was surprised at how nice it was!

Tonight - went to Super Miss Sue's restaurant / fish and chips place on Drury St. Had battered cod with chips - delicious. Fab caper sauce and the sides of beets and carrots with goats curd and braised kale with garlic, capers and onion were fantastic. My dining companion had whole sea bream which was great too.
    They have a changing dessert menu daily, so we ordered one of each available desert - pear and almond tart and lemon tart. My Lord, the lemon tart was orgasmically superb - so perfectly tart and the consistency was so soft.
    Wasn't too pricey - 71 for 2 including 2 glasses of wine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Zuiderzee

Those good companions, pork and cabbage, combine once more.
    Tonkatsu.jpg
    This is a Japanese style breaded and deep fried pork dish.
    Like rookworst and endive in Holland or our own bacon and cabbage the essence of this meal is pork and cabbage.

For the chops -
    Trim the fat off the pork chops if you prefer not to eat the fat, I just take off the rind.
    Score small cuts all around the edge of the pork chops
    Coat the pork chops in some seasoned flour (shaking off any excess flour)

Dip the pork chops in the beaten egg, mustard powder and herb mix..
    Finally coat in the bread crumbs (rub the crumbs gently onto the pork chops).

Cook in a heavy based saucepan or cast iron frying pan - the oil should come half way up the chops.
    Oil needs to be very hot - sizzling, about 140 C.
    Turn and cook until golden brown all over

If serving with chopsticks dond forget to slice up the pork - and it makes for nicer presentation I feel.

Tonkatsu sauce
    1 tsp. dry mustard powder
    50ml cup ketchup
    25ml Worcestershire
    2 tsp. soy sauce
    2 tsp Yorkshire relish (optional)

Whisk together mustard and 2 tsp. water in a bowl until smooth. Add ketchup, Worcestershire, and soy sauce, and whisk until smooth.

Sweet and sour cucumber and wakame pickles (kyuuri to wakame no amasuzuke) as a side dish - and the meal is served with Sushi rice and home grown greyhound cabbage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

My favorite mid week meal, Fiery chili & wedges topped with cheese and sour cream....... so good after a long day!

IMAG0024_zpstzibsxnx.jpgIMAG0025_zpstyfhdyxt.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement