Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

gZpCFhh.jpg?1

r5ALkUC.jpg?1

Had a jar of Pataks butter chicken sauce in the fridge, figured I'd make an easy dinner. Got to the supermarket to find they were fresh out of naans so made my own! The smoke alarm went off while they were cooking but I was happy with them nonetheless!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,468 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Something I've been thinking about for years is what to do with potato peelings? Normally they've just been chucked in the compost bin but fell upon a recipe last week for potato peeling chips!!!! Why have I never thought of that before? :rolleyes:

A couple of problems - four or five potatoes peeled is not enough to make a family meal so you'd need two/three times that amount.

We don't eat as much potato as we did when I was a kid (everyday) so how do you store peelings for a week or two? You boil them for a few minutes and then freeze them.

Made them tonight with burgers and coleslaw. They're kinda like greasy crisps but I've convinced myself, because it's the 'good for you' skins, it's not too bad. ;)

Kids loved them!

70CC180B-CCCB-4FA4-904A-D2EEFF097B0D_zps2fzbtbuj.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Why not leave them on the potatoes?

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Makood

Gongoozler wrote: »
    Why not leave them on the potatoes?

I always eat potato with skin on, be it old or new. For me it's the best bit!

Still I like the idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

^^ I do something similar with new potato skins. My family won't eat them ( :eek::confused:) so I gather them up and freeze them until I have a decent amount. Toss them in oil & add seasoning (salt, pepper, chilli, garlic, whatever!) and then bake in the oven until crisp. I find it works best in the solid fuel as they dry out slowly and are a better 'crisp'.

Agree that they are yum though !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Makood

Yesterdays dinner (Lunch) was in Mount Usher Garden Cafe. Duck liver pate to start, some kind of curry main. Curry was melt in your mouth tender but not for me.

Duck pate was really good and plenty of it. Sorry I don't have a pic. Rest of table (13) had cod and lamb burger. Lamb burger was amazing.

I'd go back there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Yesterday was BBQ time. Did a smoked brisket, a rack of ribs and a scatter of chicken wings. Made a fresh slaw, grilled some corn and had a loaf of crusty bread to go with it. And beers. Cold beers.

Tonight we had hash made from the brisket, with peas and a fried egg on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I made a kind of Haggis hash with venison haggis, leftover roast potatoes, peas, and sweetcorn. Tasted great, looked like a plate of sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Makood wrote: »
    I always eat potato with skin on, be it old or new. For me it's the best bit!
    They actually are the best bit. The skin has more nutrition contained in it than the rest of the potato (weight for weight). The same for apples.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

I make wedges with the skin, boil or steam in the skin, they mostly get eaten, otherwise my skins have to get nuked in the microwave because hubby moans when he finds potatoes growing in the compost,

I was out yesterday close to my old butchers, and popped in to see him. I bought lots of lambs liver from him, because since we moved I cannot find anyone like him. He only sells liver on the day of kill. So brought home lots, gave a bag to the in laws, put one large bag in a casserole dish for the dogs, and fried ours in flour and finished off in the oven, just served with steamed potatoes and peas.

An amazing fresh meal, finished off with rhubarb and custard tarts, fresh eggs, fresh un- homogenised milk and fresh rhubarb from the garden.

So, reading back, my food was very fresh.... Apologies for the repetition.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,004 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I this lovely sized turbot on special offer on Saturday so I baked/steamed it and served it with a brown savoury rice, grilled garlic tomatoes and lots of fresh green salad (not pictured). I forgot to put the lemon butter on before the pic.

Have turbot fish cakes for dinner tonight.
    Two dinners for two of prime whole fish for €16 aint too bad in my book.

5VJRcD.jpg

6EfC8s.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Loanshark Blues

I had already started eating before I remembered to take the photo.. I made a curry with chickpeas, green lentils, onion, tomato, red pepper and cashew nuts, and rice with peas :D

SZc7kkn.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭javagal

Homemade fried rice with chicken in black pepper. Fancied a Chinese but going on holidays next week so trying to be healthy

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Looks very good

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

I made chickpeas with chorizo and peppers, with guacamole and a little manchego. nom

slack_for_ios_upload_1024.png

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

I also made baklava, but obviously didn't have that for dinner^^ Much.

slack_for_ios_upload_1024.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

Got the brioche burger buns from Aldi after seeing a few people mention them here, and had homemade burgers at the weekend and again tonight. They're really good, I'll get them again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Got the brioche burger buns from Aldi after seeing a few people mention them here, and had homemade burgers at the weekend and again tonight. They're really good, I'll get them again.

Yes, I had those brioche burgers the other day. Luscious.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Yesterday had to be a fast dinner after I came home from a cycle, so made a Spanish omlette with potatoes, peppers, onions, green beans and smoked cheese on top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I left a chili in the slowcooker yesterday and because dinner was basically cooked when I got home I decided to break out my poor, neglected bag of blue masa harina and try make my own tortilla chips. Success was...mixed. The fact that I did not know what I was doing was evident. They were tasty though, especially when fresh from the pot. Chili was tasty but really not hot enough for my palate. Whiny whiny whine.

qgsTipk.jpg
    X5rZMu7.jpg

• Advertisement

Crappy turbot fish cakes (see cooking disaster thread):(

5F8jbY.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

lidl do the hot dog bun version of those brioche burger buns that aldi have , just leaving it out there :P

Are these brioche buns sweet?

Crappy turbot fish cakes (see cooking disaster thread):(

Cooking disaster??! That's your idea of a disaster! From the description in the other thread I expected gloop, not beautiful food!:pac:

Kovu wrote: »
    Cooking disaster??! That's your idea of a disaster! From the description in the other thread I expected gloop, not beautiful food!:pac:

It's the one that kinda worked out in the pic.
    The others were greasy, pale, mushy and broken up.

That one looks lovely, alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Are these brioche buns sweet?

Not sweet...rich

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Kovu wrote: »

Yeah.... what a wanker!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Spicy African peanut and sweet potato stew, with peppers and broccoli. Brown rice and curly kale on the side.

It turned out fantastic this time round. Rich and sweet and spicy - so yummy that as I put my plate away I longingly gazed at the leftovers in the pot, sad that I honestly didn't have room for another bite.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Yeah.... what a wanker!

Well comparing it to my disasters it's a masterpiece!
    Shenshen wrote: »
    Spicy African peanut and sweet potato stew, with peppers and broccoli. Brown rice and curly kale on the side.

It turned out fantastic this time round. Rich and sweet and spicy - so yummy that as I put my plate away I longingly gazed at the leftovers in the pot, sad that I honestly didn't have room for another bite.

That looks bleeding delicious, I was debating what to cook tonight and have the ingredients in the house for it. Plus a dose of a cold so it's basically medicinal. Did you follow any recipe in particular?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Maple mustard salmon, potato dauphinoise, honey roasted parsnips and steamed broccoli.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement