Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Quinoa crusted turkey goujons, homemade potato wedges, roasted butternut squash, rocket and lambs lettuce salad...
    Yum.
    http://s1281.photobucket.com/user/dee-mc/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-05/20150513_202632_zpsq1c0t8d0.jpg.html

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

I'm calling it Waffley Versatile Heuvos Rancheros

slack_for_ios_upload_1024.png

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Got the brioche burger buns from Aldi after seeing a few people mention them here, and had homemade burgers at the weekend and again tonight. They're really good, I'll get them again.

Have them for hot dogs now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Green tea salmon with miso veg and soba noodles. Silly me though, tested the smaller salmon piece for done-ness and wound up with a thick piece that was raw in the middle. Ah well, back to the time-honoured tradition of eating whatever looks ok and giving the rest to the dog.

The dog enjoyed it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Kovu wrote: »
    That looks bleeding delicious, I was debating what to cook tonight and have the ingredients in the house for it. Plus a dose of a cold so it's basically medicinal. Did you follow any recipe in particular?

I roughly follow this one : http://cookieandkate.com/2013/west-african-peanut-soup/

Though I used less garlic, probably less peanut butter (I can't deal with this quarter cup measuring stuff, I used a good 3 tablespoons). And I boiled some sweet potato chunks in the broth until soft before adding all the rest.
    And then threw in more vegetables :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Last night I had slow cooked lamb shank with creamy mash and peas. The gravy was very good. The best part was I ate out and it cost me only 3.45 euro for the lamb and mash. The peas were 70c I think. Overall, especially for the money, it was 10/10. Where did I eat?....

IKEA !

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Joolzie

I would love to join in. How long do I have to wait before I can post pics? Yesterday evening I made Ham fillet, savoy cabbage, boiled potatoes and homemade parsley sauce. Took a pic. But can't uplaod it. I know some people find that boring, it's a traditional Irish dish, one of my favourites...:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Joolzie wrote: »
    I would love to join in. How long do I have to wait before I can post pics? Yesterday evening I made Ham fillet, savoy cabbage, boiled potatoes and homemade parsley sauce. Took a pic. But can't uplaod it. I know some people find that boring, it's a traditional Irish dish, one of my favourites...:)

You've got the required number of posts, now you just need to be a member for more than 10 days :)
    If you want to send me your photo or link in a PM I'll put it into your post.
    I use Tinypic.com and copy and paste the code for message boards (you probably already know how to do all of this).

You've got the required number of posts, now you just need to be a member for more than 10 days :)
    If you want to send me your photo or link in a PM I'll put it into your post.
    I use Tinypic.com and copy and paste the code for message boards (you probably already know how to do all of this).

Thanks a mill! I could n't attatch pic the other day, kept asking me what url?? pic is in my gallery. (No, I don't know how to do all that..:) ) when someone else offered same help. I'll prolly have to just wait it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Can't taste anything today so decided what could be better than something spicy to help clear my head. So spicy pork fried rice it was! Had leftover lemon rice in the fridge from cooking earlier in the week (had it with baked brill, t'was brill!) so used that, spring onion, red onion, peas, pepper and stripped bbq rib meat. And chilli.
    Lots and lots of chilli.

ralph_burning.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

I made a chicken and mushroom pie.
    The pastry is store bought but I promise that making proper pastry is next on my list. I have been on a gastronomical adventure for the last 6 months.

dpideu.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Thanks a mill! I could n't attach pic the other day, kept asking me what url?? pic is in my gallery. (No, I don't know how to do all that..:) ) when someone else offered same help. I'll prolly have to just wait it out.

If you go to tinypic.com and click on Choose File, it will allow you to upload a photo from your gallery on your computer. Then there will be little window with codes (these are URLs). All you have to do then is to copy the one for Message Boards and paste it into the post you're putting up here or anywhere else on Boards, or into a message. You don't need to bother with the Attach Image function.

and click on Choose File, it will allow you to upload a photo from your gallery on your computer. Then there will be little window with codes (these are URLs). All you have to do then is to copy the one for Message Boards and paste it into the post you're putting up here or anywhere else on Boards, or into a message. You don't need to bother with the Attach Image function.

Cool, tnx, will try that tomorrow. Does sound a bit confusing though, the pasting bit! I'm not a gr8 teckie...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

9hpBHUl.jpg?1

Home alone for dinner tonight, had spiced potatoes, chick peas, tomatoes and spinach with a couple of delicious poached eggs on top!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,004 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I love how it's obligatory to cut into a poached egg before photographing it!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

kylith wrote: »
    Green tea salmon with miso veg and soba noodles. Silly me though, tested the smaller salmon piece for done-ness and wound up with a thick piece that was raw in the middle. Ah well, back to the time-honoured tradition of eating whatever looks ok and giving the rest to the dog.

The dog enjoyed it too.

I went out for dinner tonight and ordered hake, same issue, the thin bit looked fine, but the thicker piece was translucent with blood vessels showing up

Stopped eating at that point!

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

This is from a couple of nights ago, a really simple but tasty beef stirfry made with chilli, garlic, mixed veg, soy sauce and honey.

CxU4gSK.jpg?1

Last night I cooked beef aloo in the slow cooker. This is only my second ever time using my slow cooker...the first time wasn't great, I made tikka masala and it had a horrible metallic taste. I had forgotten to put sugar in with the chopped tomatoes...and what did I do last night, only the bloody same thing again! I tasted the dish this morning and it wasn't TOO bad but there was definitely a slightly metal taste off it. Do any of you culinary geniuses know if I can salvage this? I was thinking of throwing in a few spoons of sugar later and putting it back on low heat for an hour, but is it too late? I'm also worrying about the dish overcooking as it's minced meat. I already had it on for a couple of hours longer than intended last night...I meant to wake up in the middle of the night to turn it off :o

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bigronnie9

Last night I cooked beef aloo in the slow cooker. This is only my second ever time using my slow cooker...the first time wasn't great, I made tikka masala and it had a horrible metallic taste. I had forgotten to put sugar in with the chopped tomatoes...and what did I do last night, only the bloody same thing again! I tasted the dish this morning and it wasn't TOO bad but there was definitely a slightly metal taste off it. Do any of you culinary geniuses know if I can salvage this? I was thinking of throwing in a few spoons of sugar later and putting it back on low heat for an hour, but is it too late? I'm also worrying about the dish overcooking as it's minced meat. I already had it on for a couple of hours longer than intended last night...I meant to wake up in the middle of the night to turn it off :o

I personally wouldn't worry about it overcooking, so throw in your sugar and give it some time.

I made the hairy bikers chilli in the slow cooker (put it on going to bed Wednesday night, left on low all night, then switched it to just keep warm all day yesterday) and had it yesterday evening, not overcooked at all so you should be fine!

*please note im not a culinary genius!

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

bigronnie9 wrote: »
    I personally wouldn't worry about it overcooking, so throw in your sugar and give it some time.

I made the hairy bikers chilli in the slow cooker (put it on going to bed Wednesday night, left on low all night, then switched it to just keep warm all day yesterday) and had it yesterday evening, not overcooked at all so you should be fine!

*please note im not a culinary genius!

Thank you :D Hopefully it will be ok.

I had actually planned on doing the HB chilli with the mince I had until I got reminded of the beef aloo yesterday! Did you just brown the mince with the onions and then lob all the rest of the ingredients in? And do you need to include the flour? Any other changes? Sorry I'm new to slow cooking :o and that chilli recipe is my favourite so dying to try it in the slow cooker :)

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bigronnie9

Thank you :D Hopefully it will be ok.

I had actually planned on doing the HB chilli with the mince I had until I got reminded of the beef aloo yesterday! Did you just brown the mince with the onions and then lob all the rest of the ingredients in? And do you need to include the flour? Any other changes? Sorry I'm new to slow cooking :o and that chilli recipe is my favourite so dying to try it in the slow cooker :)

Ive only recently started slow cooking myself so there could be better ways but I followed the recipe (well I drained off some of the fat once id browned the meat) and I also added chopped peppers when I was adding the kidney beans/chopped tomatoes etc. Once it was all simmering in the pan I threw it into the slow cooker then on Low.

I did add the flour but I forgot tomato puree...don't think you'd notice it was missing to be honest!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

My husband is working late tonight so I had cake and hot chocolate for dinner, then a long soak in a hot bath with the lights off and some candles flickering. Bliss!

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭5unflower

Side salad, main (hake and potato bake), and dessert

1F7B52967ADA47C19BA2964AE9C3AC5C-0000353053-0003762006-00800L-44E4A4B53E8E4D56B6A84AE8AA984414.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Potatoe and hake bake.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Had a really busy day and was starving when I got home. Something quick and easy. Chopped up garlic, put it in a hot pan with butter and chilli flakes. 2 minutes later, threw in a dozen defrosted prawns. Another 2 minutes later, I threw in a pack of noodles. Kind of comfort food. Then it blew the mouth of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

We had a sandwich, as we did a bit of shopping today. We fond a new local green grocer for want of a better word, Got Fresh milk, pasteurised but not homogenised, fresh cooking apples, local tomatoes and the most amazing French bread baked by the local chef in The French restaurant in town.

I made apple tart when we came home and just had to have it fresh from the oven, so by dinner time, we decided fresh French country bread and Irish tomatoes in a sandwich. This bread leaves all supermarket versions by the side of the road.

...... Better still, all left overs are going to a bread and butter pudding, local cream and the freshest of eggs on Sunday as I have to work all weekend. We cannot eat like we used to, so it's either dinner or dessert, not both anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

beertons wrote: »
    Had a really busy day and was starving when I got home. Something quick and easy. Chopped up garlic, put it in a hot pan with butter and chilli flakes. 2 minutes later, threw in a dozen defrosted prawns. Another 2 minutes later, I threw in a pack of noodles. Kind of comfort food. Then it blew the mouth of me.

Sounds like my kind of food!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

kaffir lime leaves rehydrating for a thai red tonite .. will throw up a pic later

4j7tx3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Courgetti Bolognese, baby plum tomatoes, jalapeno for heat.

IMG_20150515_192837_zpsnd8w5mjd.jpg

Why are the images so massive? You need to scroll to see them. I like to see the image without having to scroll up and down.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Why are the images so massive? You need to scroll to see them. I like to see the image without having to scroll up and down.

They are fine in my phone

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement