Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

I'm having a no carbs week this week. Tonight's dinner was lidl steak and loads of veg. Their steaks are sooooo good.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭polydactyl

I had our usual stir fry chicken but as I am on a diet I tried cauliflower rice instead of rice. I really really liked it. For sauce/rice dishes in future I will def be doing this

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

polydactyl wrote: »
    I had our usual stir fry chicken but as I am on a diet I tried cauliflower rice instead of rice. I really really liked it. For sauce/rice dishes in future I will def be doing this

I have half a cauliflower in the fridge, and I want to try this. But I was a bit sceptical. i think I'll give it a try.

katydid wrote: »
    I have half a cauliflower in the fridge, and I want to try this. But I was a bit sceptical. i think I'll give it a try.

I did it the jamie Oliver way and like rice it's fairly bland so more a vehicle for a tasty sauce but healthier :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Worth every crumb...
    Aldi's angus burger in brioche buns (cue Homer drool aaaaaaarglhghlh), with sauteed red onion, mushroom and extra mature cheddar. To counteract the guilt I also had coleslaw, tomatoes, cucumbers and sweet potato chips.

IMG_20150519_203005_zpskvucatgj.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭KatW4

We were lazy today. I had a doner kebab tray in the chippers. Gorgeous but so so bad!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Steaks on the BBQ with roasted baby potatoes and carrots. Fab. Even more so that I've a spare steak for lunch tomorrow. Had 2 with dinner, they were small! I'm so quick at clearing the feed lately, I don't have time to take a pic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Chicken stir fry for us tonight. First stir fry in a while, it was alright but I find my stir fries to be pretty "meh".

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

I wish I had a photo, tonight's dinner was special.

My Singaporean friend cooked: we had big dishes of rice over fragrant banana leaves, topped with a spicy chicken and vegetable curry in a thin gravy, with condiments of fried anchovies, cucumber, fried eggs, grilled mackerel and roasted peanuts. Dessert was sweet mung bean soup and Vietnamise coffee with condensed milk.

It was a taste sensation, although I am not sure I would go for the mung bean soup again. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Christmas ham (of sorts) yesterday! Patted mixed spice on it and cooked it for 9 hours in the slow cooker with Cork and cider vinegar. Pulled it apart and dumped a big mound of it on toasted ciabatta rolls and served with mash and a salad. It was yum. Tonight will be a repeat and the smallies have it for lunch too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭berrecka

I want to play!

I am in serious need of a new oven (just bought a very old house with a very old oven), so while we await the new kitchen, I have re-acquainted myself with good old Mr Foreman. Lately, I've been doing a lot of warm salads with veggies on the George (fennel, aubergine and courgette are my favourites at the moment, and take a good charring, as does, to my surprise, sweet potato). Toss the dressed warm veg (or with a little hummus) through some fresh leaves. Yum.

Last night I baked a sweet ham, and had it with poached eggs on a bed of salad leaves, and a mustard dressing.

Then what doesn't get eaten, gets chucked into wraps for lunches the next day.

I just wish we had the weather to go with all of these salads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Got home late last night to rice, a roast chicken and a pot of gravy. While all these things are delicious seperately I just can't override the 'chicken dinner' setting in my head that says that gravy is for potatoes so I warmed up some coconut milk, added a squeeze of lime and some soy sauce and poured that over my chicken & rice. Finished with sririririririririririracha.

On a side note, I love the smell of basmati rice so very much

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I find my stir fries to be pretty "meh".

Mine too. I'm still searching for the perfect flavour, although a mix of sweet chilli sauce and soy is quite nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Mine too. I'm still searching for the perfect flavour, although a mix of sweet chilli sauce and soy is quite nice.

Honey and soy sauce is my new favourite combination for stir fries, along with chilli and garlic. So simple but really good!

Loire wrote: »
    Christmas ham (of sorts) yesterday! Patted mixed spice on it and cooked it for 9 hours in the slow cooker with Cork and cider vinegar. Pulled it apart and dumped a big mound of it on toasted ciabatta rolls and served with mash and a salad. It was yum. Tonight will be a repeat and the smallies have it for lunch too!

I have pork in my slow cooker at the moment with a Gordon Rhodes pulled pork mix. Hoping it is nice and planning on having it with wraps and veggies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Had Indian takeaway last night, and it was the best I've had in a long long time. Onion bhaji, sheesh kebab to start. Main was lamb bhuna and chicken jalfrezi. I had them with cheese naan, himself with rice. Was so good I still think about it this morning.

Nothing like a good Indian takeaway. Nom.

If it's with beef I usually like to play around with dark + light soy, fish sauce, a bit of cumin, garlic + ginger. I don't have exact measurement, just taste as I go along.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

Don't often have nice stuff, being a student and all that, but studying in Venice and nearly done so said I'd sample the wares.

Got the 'Menu of the Day' thing.. Looks better in Italian.
    2 course thing for 12e. Bargain :D

I had Spaghetti al Vongole (Spaghetti with Clams)
    Not a seafood person really but the buttery garlic sauce is devine with the spaghetti and clams. Something I'll have to try and make in the future.
    First time I ordered this was by accident. For some reason thought Vongole was just Ragu under a different name. It wasn't but it's a mistake I'm glad I made. Trying to look civilised whilst eating this is impossible. :P

Second course is plain enough, you get given a choice of meat/fish and chips/veg/salad
    I got chicken and seasonal veg. Chicken fillet was nice and thick with a herby lemony sauce and with that I'd grilled courgettes and aubergines. Before coming to Italy never tried either but they're gorgeous. :)

With it had 1/4 litre of house white for 3.90 I think which was actually very nice.
    Didn't take any pictures, already looked touristy enough, plus it's pretty self explanatory but I'd definitely recommend the Spaghetti with Clams to anyone with a taste in seafood and a love of garlic. It's to die for :D

I had Spaghetti al Vongole (Spaghetti with Clams)

This is my all time favourite pasta dish. If it's on the menu, I'll most definitely have it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Have a chicken Korma going on the slow cooker, should get till Friday out of it. And I have run out on a pork shoulder too, that might do Saturday and Sunday. Been feeling a bit crap for a few months, lost my mojo. I think it's back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

I marinade in soy, chinese rice wine, chinese black vinegar, ginger, star anise, sugar and chilli and use a combo of the same as a sauce for my stirfrys. They are always deeeeeeecilious.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

today was a comfort eat kinda dinner, minced lamb fried with hot chipotle sauce ,fried veg and shrooms,gravy added and poured over mash :D:D:D:D

happy belly day

2ni39uf.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Joolzie

polydactyl wrote: »
    I have pork in my slow cooker at the moment with a Gordon Rhodes pulled pork mix. Hoping it is nice and planning on having it with wraps and veggies

Would that be Gary?

Or Gordon Ramsey..
    Or a mixture of the two... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Joolzie

Or Gordon Ramsey..
    Or a mixture of the two... :P

Ha ha!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3 asjasia

Baked potatoes with lots of herbs and broccoli cooked in boillon with chives on top

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Last night I made a heeeuuuugggee pasta bake. Made sauce from fried onions & celery, tinned tomatoes, and tomato puree which I left to bubble away. Roasted chicken fillets and veggies, and fried chorizo, and mixed everything up in baking dishes and topped with some mozzarella, feta and cheddar.

I'm so very pleased. Loads leftover. Happy days.

Joolzie wrote: »
    Would that be Gary?

Nope it wouldn't :) it's this guy http://www.gordonrhodes.co.uk

Found this from a couple of weeks ago...
    Not last night but I thought since I took the picture :)

• Advertisement

Pulled pork with Gordon not Gary Rhodes seasoning mix. Now I am not a fan of BBQ or pulled pork but this was a treat for my husband. He adored it in wraps with salad and evenI thought it was delicious

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement