Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Chicken salad with tomato and beetroot, gem lettuce, walnuts and sprouts.

IMG_20150523_194702_zpsdumkgdye.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Chicken salad with tomato and beetroot, gem lettuce, walnuts and sprouts

That looks delicious!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,468 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Was reminded of MissF's talk of drive-thru's this evening as I was driving home. Stopped off at Bunsen on Wexford St. to see if their burgers are up to the hype.

Well maybe not drive-thru, more like pull into the side, walk down the street to a packed restaurant, order, pay and told to come back in 20 minutes. Had time to walk back up the street, go into an empty Eddie Rockets, order a chocolate malt to go, leave it in the car then go and pick up my order.

Fries were good, burger was fine. Should have come with napkins as the first bite dripped all down my top!

F421B47A-8283-4ED1-8393-61E179024A4B_zpsyiqkz0dt.jpg

Still, had the pleasure of driving down Dame Street to witness all the celebrations on this historic day, hairs on the back of my neck stuff. Good day to be Irish!!! :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Pulled pork wraps. And a salad of blanched broccoli, feta cheese cubed and roasted hazelnuts. So full. Round 2 tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Looks a pretty good burger to me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,468 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Looks a pretty good burger to me!

I love the simplicity of the menu.

http://www.bunsen.ie/menus/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

We made our own satay sauce this evening, with peanut butter, tamarind and coconut milk. It was good to begin with, but after a while I found it too sticky, or something, to eat. Couldn't finish it. Will work on an improvement.

So we filled up on a homemade sangria, with a fruity beaujolais, mixed with jp chenets peach wine, and nectarines and strawberries. That was very nice. will be experimenting with that again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

http://www.saveur.com/article/recipes/gado-gado-indonesian-vegetable-salad-with-peanut-dressing

I've always found James Oseland's recipe for peanut sauce to be very good. Add more water if it's too thick and don't omit the shrimp paste no matter how funky it smells.

Dinner last night was roast chicken rubbed with sambal (Mrs Fox sambal from the Random Recipe Thread). Also had steamed choi sum and cheong fun rice noodle rolls with a chilli and soy sauce.

Minder wrote: »
    http://www.saveur.com/article/recipes/gado-gado-indonesian-vegetable-salad-with-peanut-dressing

Dinner last night was roast chicken rubbed with sambal (Mrs Fox sambal from the Random Recipe Thread). Also had steamed choi sum and cheong fun rice noodle rolls with a chilli and soy sauce.

Awww shucks you still have them, or was that a new batch? :D
    I'm thinking of playing around with it in my next batch, maybe adding some dried shrimps to add more savoury (and tastiness, of course).

Same batch of sambal - I had about 2 pints from the first batch. Its very good on the chicken but tends to get very dark if I leave the bird uncovered for the whole cooking time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Ate in PittBros on Georges St yesterday.
    Was disappointed :(
    It wasn't very nice at all but at least I got stuck right in the heart of party central for it :(:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

Rare flat iron steaks, grilled tomatoes, fried potatoes, red onion jam, gremolata and lightly steamed york cabbage.

(a very strange cabbage from Lidl - I've never come across a cabbage more like iceberg lettuce, we had it almost raw)

Was it Nappa Cabbage ?

kinakal66.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,004 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Overflow wrote: »
    Was it Nappa Cabbage ?

No. York cabbage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Was out for dinner last night, for starters two of us had crispy potato skins with crispy bacon and garlic mayo, the others had mushrooms with cream cheese and garlic in a batter.

For mains three of us had steaks: fillet, sirloin and rib eye. Served with chips, potatoes, salad, pepper sauce, and garlic sauce. Our other diner had a cajun chicken burger.

All washed down with an Argentinian Malbec.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Was reminded of MissF's talk of drive-thru's this evening as I was driving home. Stopped off at Bunsen on Wexford St. to see if their burgers are up to the hype.

Well maybe not drive-thru, more like pull into the side, walk down the street to a packed restaurant, order, pay and told to come back in 20 minutes. Had time to walk back up the street, go into an empty Eddie Rockets, order a chocolate malt to go, leave it in the car then go and pick up my order.

Fries were good, burger was fine. Should have come with napkins as the first bite dripped all down my top!

I think Bunsen burgers are so tasty. They are rather messy though, especially if you go for the double burger.
    Smidge wrote: »
    Ate in PittBros on Georges St yesterday.
    Was disappointed :(
    It wasn't very nice at all but at least I got stuck right in the heart of party central for it :(:D

Really? I really enjoyed Pitt Bros when I went there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Roast chicken in a chilli marinade. Served with roasted peppers stuffed with cous cous with chilli flakes, red onion, pine nuts and feta cheese, and mangetout.

349850.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Beef Bengali curry with chickpeas.

I got these curry kits in Supervalu. They come with a paste, spices (this one had bay leaf, cardamom, dried chilli and nigella seeds) and curry sauce. You marinade the meat in the paste, then add the spices to hot oil for a few seconds before adding the meat. I moved it to the slow cooker then and added chickpeas, extra chilli and some cream towards the end cos I like my curries quite saucy. Very impressed!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

katydid wrote: »
    I made Toad in the Hole for the first time. Underwhelming. It wasn't cooked fully, a bit mushy in the middle, but that wasn't the thing. It was just ok. I used the Jamie Oliver recipe, with a red onion and balsamic "gravy". I should have taken a pic.

I always use the Hairy Bikers recipe from their Mum's know best book.

http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes/396703/Hairy-Bikers--Yorkshire-pudding

Leave it to sit for a bit, over night if I can! Then pour over nommy sausages.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I had a long day today - went for an hour's cycle, then for a good long swim. Then my hubby got home and suggested going for a walk as the weather was so nice, so off we went for a 2 hour walk.

Coming home I was positively ravenous, and really fancied falafel.

So out came the chickpeas, and while the little parcels of sheer yum were frying away, I made some spicy houmous and a nice bowl of tsatsiki to go with them.
    Stuffed it all into toasted pittas, along with chopped gem lettuce, cucumber and sliced onion. Bit of sriracha on top, for extra spice.
    Washed down by cold shandy.

They looked too messy for pictures, though, and so do I now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Tonight I dined alone so I had reheated savoury mince with brown rice.

Delicious, filling, quick and with minimal effort.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    I always use the Hairy Bikers recipe from their Mum's know best book.

http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes/396703/Hairy-Bikers--Yorkshire-pudding

Leave it to sit for a bit, over night if I can! Then pour over nommy sausages.

Thanks. I'll give it a go next time

Lamb seekh kebab, feta salad and sweet potato fries.

IMG_20150524_212757_zpsptkav6ii.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Bam! Nice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

I bought a Tajine today so made a nice beef dish.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Cod in a tomato/onion/basil/garlic/oregano sauce, with peas and red and green peppers.
    Served with salad potatoes and green beans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

L'prof wrote: »
    I think Bunsen burgers are so tasty. They are rather messy though, especially if you go for the double burger.

Really? I really enjoyed Pitt Bros when I went there

Yeah, I was gutted as I had read great reviews(and someone here said the food was fab).
    The mac and cheese wasn't cheesy(was just like a white sauce). Chicken was a bit dry and tasteless. Chips were weird(soggy but underdone at the same time).
    OH food wasn't great either.
    Gutted:(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I wish I liked feta.

I bought some last week and roughly chopped it before throwing it on a salad.
    I didn't like it.
    It was overly salty and overly....I don't know...just not very cheesy, but it was *something*.
    Too overwhelming, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Smidge wrote: »
    Yeah, I was gutted as I had read great reviews(and someone here said the food was fab).
    The mac and cheese wasn't cheesy(was just like a white sauce). Chicken was a bit dry and tasteless. Chips were weird(soggy but underdone at the same time).
    OH food wasn't great either.
    Gutted:(

Ok, I didn't have any of those when I went. I had Brisket & fries and it was delish. Free self serve cone afterwards with the lunch offer was most satisfying :D

fussyonion wrote: »
    I wish I liked feta.

I bought some last week and roughly chopped it before throwing it on a salad.
    I didn't like it.
    It was overly salty and overly....I don't know...just not very cheesy, but it was *something*.
    Too overwhelming, I think.

It's more of a fermenty taste than cheesy. Probably can't convince you but they're gorgeous in omelette.

• Advertisement

Vietnamese roast chicken with lemongrass, stir fried rice, Vietnamese fresh spring rolls with nuoc cham.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement