Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

I've just realised all my curry pics look the exact same :p Thai red tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Started making chili in the slow cooker with a mix of stewing beef & mince and various dried chilis (today's had cascobel, guajillo & chipotle) soaked and blended with spices, tomato puree & beef stock (**cough** oxo **cough**), we leave it in the slowcooker for a long time, 24 hours this time round and get a slightly dry, extremely tender chili that packs a flavour punch. Loads left for tomorrow too - bonus. Tonight it was served over baked potatoes because we have potatoes coming out of our ears here, cheese, sliced avocado and a few jalapenos on the side for me. Recipe is nearly, but not quite, there. I like chili with a little sharp/tartness. Further experimentation called for!

L1YykLF.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

I made a very delicious chilli the other day. Not perfect, but my best effort yet. I used a Knorr sachet which you mix with water and add to the mince - I still haven't managed to gather the cajones to attempt my own spice mix. Although I did add plenty of seasoning from the random selection I have beside the hob.

I added two tins of chopped toms and a buttload of kidney beans to make a massive batch. It simmered away for about two hours. A small personal victory.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Wednesday was grilled mackerel and salads

IMG_20150526_200341_zpsw9pd0o0g.jpg

Last night was lamb curry, grilled sweet potato and wilted spinach

IMG_20150528_192522_zpsfszeze5p.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bigronnie9

Egg fried rice with a penang curry sauce, served with pan fried duck breasts

Im disgusted I didn't take a photo, the duck turned out perfect!

I cant remember who had posted before about putting the duck breasts in a cold pan skin side down and as it heats spooning the fat over and finishing in the oven, but by god it works!

had guests over and was told they had never eaten duck cooked so perfectly in a restaurant, so thanks to whoever put up that method, ill be using it again!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭maryfred

Looking for alternatives for rice with curry. Have tried the cauliflower rice. How do you do the sweet potato,I've tried the sweet potato chips,I couldn't get them crispy at all. Is the grilled potato much differ

maryfred wrote: »

Looking for alternatives for rice with curry. Have tried the cauliflower rice. How do you do the sweet potato,I've tried the sweet potato chips,I couldn't get them crispy at all. Is the grilled potato much differ

I rubbed the halved sweet potato (the skinny ones from Lidl) with olive oil, salt & pepper, and placed under the grill until they're soft.
    My SP chips are never crispy, and I only use either coconut oil or olive oil and season. I believe the only way to achieve crispy sweet potato chips is by coating them with corn starch, but I've never done this myself. I just go to Eddie Rockets if I want the crispy kind :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,004 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

bigronnie9 wrote: »
    Egg fried rice with a penang curry sauce, served with pan fried duck breasts

I cant remember who had posted before about putting the duck breasts in a cold pan skin side down and as it heats spooning the fat over and finishing in the oven, but by god it works!

had guests over and was told they had never eaten duck cooked so perfectly in a restaurant, so thanks to whoever put up that method, ill be using it again!!!

That'd be me.
    But I don't finish them in the oven. I baste them for 10-15 minutes then let them rest for 10-15 minutes.
    Best duck cooking tip I've ever gotten.

Dinner

IMG_20150529_222715_zpsjzlpsedz.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Had the Gary Rhodes special at Camile Thai ("Priw Wan") this evening.
    It was delicious.
    Chicken, onions, peppers, pineapples, spinach, cashew nuts, brown rice, sweet and sour sauce....it really was lovely.
    Couldn't take a pic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

I got some of those Angus Beef burgers from Aldi and some brioche buns for dinner today, unfortunately the burgers were not to my taste at all. They had a taste of mint and onion off them, and I just couldn't handle it. The buns were nice but all I got was a strong taste of mint from the burger so I couldn't really taste much of the bun. I'll get some burgers in the butchers this week and try the buns with them.

So tonight ended up being Chicken curry, egg fried rice and spring rolls from the Chinese. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

photo_zpsqeii5g7p.jpg

Chicken gyoza and rainbow sushi. Mmmmm.

Courtesy of a trip to the Honest to Goodness market this morning I had red ale sausages from the Whole Hogg and some raw milk and some smoked butter and, because of the baltically cold evening, we ended up having toad in the hole, beer gravy, steamed spinach with toasted almonds and new season potatoes tossed in smoked butter. No photos because my phone is dead but just smile and close your eyes and you'll see my dinner :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

Tonight was BBQ ribs, baked potatoes, carrots, peas and gravy.

Extra spuddies left over to be turned into a hash in the morning, oh yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭biddywiddy

Night before last, we had halloumi skewers (this recipe), with salad and flatbreads. Really good, but it was hard to get the halloumi onto the skewers without it falling apart. The broken bits were eaten anyway. :D

Last night was chicken, in a mesquite marinade from Aldi, with spicy potatoes and onions (smoked paprika, chili powder and rosemary) and corn, all done on the BBQ. Served with a good squeeze of Ballymaloe relish brought back from my recent trip home.

350557.jpeg

It's raining this evening, so indoor-cooked steaks with mac & cheese are on tonight's menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Potato gratin and Lidl Italian meatballs with the tomato sauce.

WP_20150530_20_51_11_Pro_zpsvdfaicml.jpg

Roast oregano chicken, wIth red cabbage slaw

IMG_20150530_193200_zpsfmzmuxym.jpg

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Bought a steak in the butchers yesterday, flattened, and rolled up, with stuffing in the middle. Roasted it for 30 mins in the oven. Had it with marrowfat pea's, sliced carrots, mashed potatoes with scallions, and gravy. Heavenly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Grilled mackerel, rocket, watercress and spinach salad with cherry tomatoes, cucumber, scallion and peppers. Oh, and baby spuds.
    The smell of the mackerel cooking was enough to make me not want to cook it anymore.
    Jesus wept.
    Anyway, it was tasty.

2yjpv1e.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Dinner tonight was thick slices of yesterday's leftover cold ham, in warm baguettes with butter, mustard and relish, with some potato wedges on the side. A few carbs to go with our carbs. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We were gardening all day and hadn't anything planned for dinner, and we were ravenous so we had a mixed grill with sautéed potatoes. It was just what we needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Our take on a fish taco. Lots of homemade guacamole and coleslaw, babyleaf salad and hake fried in garlic and lime. Yum.

IMG_20150531_182116_zps1vm3pjtf.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Sirloin steak, potato with fried egg mashed in, fried cherry tomatoes, peas and sweet corn. I added some red jalapeño peppers and relish after I took the photo.

2ykx1er.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

photo_zpsh0swiafn.jpg

An awful photo of a delicious dinner. Soba noodles with a 5 spice broth, broccoli, and thinly sliced pork belly which was marinaded in 5 spice, garlic and soy before being roasted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

23iwm4n.jpg

Spinakopita - feta and spinach pie - with rosemary potatoes, salad and homemade mayonnaise. Meat free Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

I had a bit of a hankering for wings the other night, but didn't have any wings or thighs, so I thought I'd try something a bit different. :)

I cut some strips of pork belly about 1/2cm thick and cut them short enough to make them big bite sized pieces. Any thicker and the fat wasn't rendering properly with the short cooking time, so keep them thin'ish.

I then floured them (mix of flour and cornflour as usual) and deep fried them in very hot oil. I don't have a deep dryer any more, so i just did it on the hob. Also only had peanut oil, but that helped as it has a very high smoke point and I think it helped the flavour too a bit.

got them nice and crispy and browned off, then dipped them in melted franks and a bit of butter (was almost out of that too) with some cream cheese to make up for the lack of butter. :D

it was a real kludge, but the local shops were all shut, so I just had to make do and it turned out fabulously. Pics don't do it justice, but they were amazing, and might actually replace wings (or thighs) on wing nights for good going forward. :)

anyway, just thought I'd share with the gang of wingaholics for something different to try.

crispy and juicy, lovely rendered fat as long as they weren't too thick (one or two were, but i'll know for next time).

just needs ultra-hot oil, and thinly sliced pork belly, so do in small batches if need be, or a massive pot of oil.

ours had the added advantage of being skin on belly, so we got crispy crackling in the bargain to boot! :D

350649.jpg

Also (quite surprisingly), we did some sweet potato chips in the same oil (again, very very hot, on the hob) and they came out amazingly crispy on the outside and fluffy inside.

it looks like the sugars actually caremalised on the outside of them to give them their crispy coating, which has never happened before, no matter how I tried cooking them, so peanut oil at max temp = perfect sweet potato fries too, as my 3 year old son and his duck can attest to! :)

350651.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,468 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

^ oh my poor arteries! ;)

We had a really, really heavy family lunch out yesterday so dinner last night was a relatively small and light affair. Slice of toasted walnut bread with some ham, shaved manchego, a poached egg and avocado sprinkled with red wine vinegar. It hit the spot with a wallop.

msCf1FY.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

I forgot to take a pic :( but today's dinner was roast pork steaks stuffed with spinach, Apple, garlic, onion, breadcrumb, sage and walnuts. Served with dauphinoise, new Irish potatoes and broccoli and carrots. The stuffing was a bit of a disappointment, I think it needed a lot more apple so I'll need to try it once more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,772 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Saturday night I did Pad Kra Prao (Beef with chilli & basil) for the family, extra chili for myself.

Yesterday, I barbecued in the lashing rain for a family gathering. Burgers, wings & wedges all round. I had to keep draining my glass of red to save it from becoming too diluted by the rain. :)

Tonight I have a brisket braising in ale, beef stock, onions, tomatoes, garlic, thyme & bay. Will serve with roasted root veg & mash.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement