Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

For tonight I am doing pink roast lamb, new potatoes, carrots, broccoli and peas. With gravy of course.

Can't wait for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Tonight we had a roast chicken dinner and I made yorkshire puddings for the first time ever. They turned out great!

IMG_20150601_184040_zps4jmehmca.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Inspired by my lunch in the Happy Pear at the weekend I made butterbean burgers, rolled in couscous, topped with goats cheese, and some courgette chips which weren't very crispy but were very tasty nevertheless.

photo%201_zpsepybisji.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

Waiting for this day...
    Planning on treating myself so was looking for places to go all week. In the end convenience won and went just across the way.
    Ordered steak with grilled vegetables.
    Steak medium rare and veg were beansprouts grated peppers onions and courgettes. Gorgeous.
    Only thing is a was really hungry and although I knew it tasted fantastic, it was over as soon as it began.
    Forgot to take picture until a few mouthfuls in.

Got a bit expensive but allowed to splurge on your birthday :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Waiting for this day...
    Planning on treating myself so was looking for places to go all week. In the end convenience won and went just across the way.
    Ordered steak with grilled vegetables.
    Steak medium rare and veg were beansprouts grated peppers onions and courgettes. Gorgeous.
    Only thing is a was really hungry and although I knew it tasted fantastic, it was over as soon as it began.
    Forgot to take picture until a few mouthfuls in.

Got a bit expensive but allowed to splurge on your birthday :P
    Happy birthday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Patriot's Inn again.

Caprese salad.
    WP_20150531_19_24_09_Pro_zpsdy3ko1r7.jpg

followed by the one, the only the wonderful...carbonara.
    WP_20150531_19_29_17_Pro_zps1iodwaa3.jpg

couldn't resist. So bacony, so garlicy so creamy. What's not to like?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Pasta Aglio e Olio - been craving this since I watched Chef last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Minder wrote: »
    Pasta Aglio e Olio - been craving this since I watched Chef last week.

Oh man, I thoroughly enjoyed that movie!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Dinner of leftovers tonight.

We had some leftover mash, broccoli and carrots. So I chopped the veg finely, popped these in a bowl with some scallions, grated cheddar, sweetcorn, flour, egg and seasoning, shaped into patties, dipped in egg and breadcrumbs and shallow fried in butter and olive oil.

Threw on a couple of slices of maple bacon and a poached egg and had ourselves quite the brinner. Amazingly delicious.

Absolutely stuffed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Bacon & cheese burger with green chili & onion. Tesco Aberdeen Angus burgers are like chewy hockey pucks with an aftertaste of onion powder, wouldn't bother with those again, that's what I get for being too lazy to make my own. Hot sauce potato cubes on the side.

xw2dpeG.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Bacon & cheese burger with green chili & onion. Tesco Aberdeen Angus burgers are like chewy hockey pucks with an aftertaste of onion powder, wouldn't bother with those again, that's what I get for being too lazy to make my own. Hot sauce potato cubes on the side.
    Is that a blaa I see
    or a bap??

It's a soft wholemeal roll bap thingy from Hovis. A blaa would have been nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bigronnie9

That'd be me.
    But I don't finish them in the oven. I baste them for 10-15 minutes then let them rest for 10-15 minutes.
    Best duck cooking tip I've ever gotten.

Thanks for the tip!

Really? Id be afraid they would be too rare... but after the success of my first attempt will definitely try this the next time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

What's a blaa?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    What's a blaa?

The noise a hoarse sheep makes.
    A delicious type of bread roll made in Waterford

^^^^

hehehehehe

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Some ratatouille-style roasted vegatables, with orzo pasta and feta and olives.

This is what it looked like before it went into the oven:

2u5z393.jpg

And this is what it looked like in the bowl after :

4q084j.jpg

Tasted nicely of summer in all this rain.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

I cooked orzo with peas and parmesan the other night, initially to accompany my half roast chicken, but actually I ended up shredding the chicken and mixing it in. Flavoured it lovely.

I have a question, though. It was only my second time using orzo and it seemed to take much longer than it said on the pack to get soft. It said 8 to 10 minutes, but it took the best part of 20. Do you think I didn't have enough liquid? I hadn't too much, as the recipe only called for a cup of chicken stock for 4oz orzo. I ended up adding water and cooking it until it was nicely al dente.
    a1kchx.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

We had a pot of chicken and vegetable biryani.

IMG_20150602_183305_zpsqqyq7uxs.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Pork, fennel and chilli meatballs, with a tomato and mascarpone sauce, with pasketty. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Chicken, chorizo and chickpea stew. Nice and comforting. In June :(
    Hopefully we'll be on the barbecues and salads by the weekend.

30sax53.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

I had fridge emptying spaghetti bolognese. It was full of veg, onions, mushrooms, peppers, courgettes, and olives. The olives were a lovely addition, I really liked it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

My take on a burrito bowl (a burrito without the wrap):

Chicken, rice, beans, salsa, cheese, rocket/spinach/watercress (I had no lettuce), tomatoes, tortilla chips, scallions, jalapenos and coriander.
    Absolutely delicious!

s2w4lf.jpg

I need a new phone. My camera magically makes all food look like a food failure. This was a hash made with the leftover roast beef from our Sunday dinner, bacon, cubed parboiled & leftover spuds, onions and there's an egg hidden in the middle of it. Sprinkled with chives and teeny tiny manchego cubes. I made it and I think I ate half the crispy bits out of the pan to 'test them' before they ever hit the plate

r7Qio60.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,772 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Tonight I have a brisket braising in ale, beef stock, onions, tomatoes, garlic, thyme & bay. Will serve with roasted root veg & mash.

In all honesty, I don't think that I would bother having any other type of beef for roasting again.

My butcher had rolled & tied it into a 2kg joint for me. But I cut the string & roasted it flat for 45 minutes at 220C on a bed of onions. Then added the ale, stock, tomatoes, garlic & herbs. I sealed the pan tightly with foil & cooked at 120C for 4 hours or so. I poured off the juices & let it rest for half an hour.

Finished it off today in a couple of sambos for lunch. It was truly awesome!

In all honesty, I don't think that I would bother having any other type of beef for roasting again.

My butcher had rolled & tied it into a 2kg joint for me. But I cut the string & roasted it flat for 45 minutes at 220C on a bed of onions. Then added the ale, stock, tomatoes, garlic & herbs. I sealed the pan tightly with foil & cooked at 120C for 4 hours or so. I poured off the juices & let it rest for half an hour.

Finished it off today in a couple of sambos for lunch. It was truly awesome!

And now I'm dribbling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭EITS

Picked up sea bass on top of my usual chicken thighs/mince in Aldi, skin wasn't as crispy as the recipe looked online but it was alright

20150603_134646.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

The cooking club's Spicy Thai Chicken soup, but with minced turkey. With a couple of slices of banana bread I'd made the night before as dessert. Imma gonna fry off some more turkey mince and have it again. And finish off the banana bread...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Last night was a big salad of goat's cheese, pear, beetroot and walnut with vinaigrette

IMG_20150602_185755_zpsie0gxk9n.jpg

Tonight was chicken thigh roasted in cumin and turmeric rub, sweet potato and aubergine Thai red curry, red quinoa, cucumber and radish.

IMG_20150603_190538_zpscdueitmr.jpg

• Advertisement

Fancied a curry, so we called for a Bombay Pantry delivery.

We both had Chicken Karahi (medium spiced), basmati rice, naan bread and onion bhajis with dips. (I love how it's only €20.50 for so much grub!).
    As always, it was beautiful.

4ucnrl.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement