Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

Work is all sorts of mental right now, so a good friend insisted on meeting up for a celebration of cheese and cocktails and chats, no matter how late I needed to work. It was my first visit to Dillinger's in Ranelagh, but I'ma big fan of their sister restaurant 777, and there's definitely a similarity in style.

The real star of the show was a side of macaroni & cheese with taleggio & truffle, which I didn't photograph but I doubt a photo could have done justice to the awesomeness of its truffley goodness. Cheese, cheese, and a deliciously light & refreshing cocktail. Epic dinner :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

My bad day continued at home so I wound up comfort eating an entire bag of Lidl dried fruit.

I full expect to seriously regret that at some point today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

kylith wrote: »
    My bad day continued at home so I wound up comfort eating an entire bag of Lidl dried fruit.

I full expect to seriously regret that at some point today.

Still very sensible. I would've had a big fat cake. Hope you're having a better day today, kylith.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Still very sensible. I would've had a big fat cake. Hope you're having a better day today, kylith.

If I had cake I'd have eaten the cake. This is why I do not buy or make cake or biscuits.

Today has been a better day, at least as far as what I've eaten has gone. Salad for lunch and planning a pizza for dinner: feta, sundried tomato, and basil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

kylith wrote: »

So your stomach is like a christmas pudding fruit soak but with hydrochloric acid instead of whiskey? :) Hope the bad day has now eff'd really far off.

Last night we had ravioli with chicken and bacon in a lemon & cream sauce. Mine with loads of brocolli on the side. That was just that tiiiiiiny bit the wrong side of al dente so really dry. Hey though, look who ate a green vegetable that wasn't a chili!! *pats self on back*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    What's a blaa?

Tis an EU protected floury bap from
    Waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 17,004 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

brinty wrote: »
    Tis an EU protected floury bap from
    Waterford

You would think so, but there are also crusty blaas and there is a producer of recognised blaas in Co Kilkenny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

You would think so, but there are also crusty blaas and there is a producer of recognised blaas in Co Kilkenny.

You sir have made a mortal enemy of me...

there's the soft blaa or the crusty blaa, both epically tasty with a bitta red lead...
    as for the kilkenny producer, we'll most KK people are employed in Waterford anyways so its about time they did something for Waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Had a rather long day today, so dinner was quick and light.

We had an organic farmer lady giving us a little presentation at work today (nope, I don't work at a co-op, I work for an IT company. But a nicely quirky one :D), and she brought in massive heads of lettuce, every one got a free one. And everyone got a young onion, with the green stalks still on it.
    So dinner was half that head of lettuce, the onion greens chopped finely, and some almost over-ripe tomatoes, in a very simple vinaigrette.
    And two corn cobs with butter and a bit of salt.

That lettuce and onions were really something else. I've instantly decided to start shopping at the lady's Saturday market stand for fresh veg from now on. Well, for as long as I can afford it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Some of a selection of dishes we got in Tani in Terenure last night. Absolutely delicious!

uH2wnj3.jpg

Qbq0eld.jpg

1DX19P2.jpg

6FGA6rr.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,004 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

brinty wrote: »
    You sir have made a mortal enemy of me...

Don't shoot the messenger!

Take it up with the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Polka_Dot

Pizza tonight! Pepperoni & green pepper, sprinkled with chili flakes and basil at the end.

11304316_10152803606997484_606468089_n.jpg?oh=490543022b4ab8a70a23faa145c4e998&oe=55738AD5

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

Made pulled pork and got some salads from rocket man!

slack_for_ios_upload_1024.png

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Two more light dinners for the last 2 nights:

Pasts with tomato and herb sauce (herbs from the garden, fresh garlic from the organic farmer lady), with lots of crunchy lettuce.

vigvhl.jpg

And today, Halloumi, asparagus and new potatoes with a lemon and chive butter, again with lovely crunchy salad. And a pint of Abbot's Ale :D

282o2u.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Went to Peploe's last night. This place never fails to deliver (except that one time when they took the infamous chocolate fondant off the menu. What were they thinking? People travel from far for that rich goo!).
    I skipped starter so I can make room for dessert 10oz dry aged medium rare rib eye steak, with red wine jus and subbed chips for a side salad. Perfect.
    Although fondant was on the dessert menu, I opted for pineapple sorbet, with a sliver of roasted pineapple, cubes of green apple, and coconut shortbread.

IMG_20150607_095941_zpsuxb9wvdj.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

We went to a friend's place for a BBQ yesterday. Bit of rain dodging involved but it was brilliant. The food was amazing!

Homemade hummus, olive tapenade and tzatziki served with fresh bread, carrots and cucumber.

Tandoori chicken with iceberg lettuce and lemon juice.

Swordfish tacos.

Pork tenderloin with garlic and lime.

Followed by crepe suzette with homemade vanilla ice-cream.

Amazing! There were burgers later but I had fallen asleep on the couch by then :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Endeavouring to try and eat a little better so hoping posting will keep up the effort! With the nice weather it had to be a BBQ, pic is poor as had started serving when I remembered to take one!

Dinner was lamb steaks in a mint marinade, potato salad, sweet potato and chickpea salad and a beautiful butternut squash salad with yellow peppers, baby tomatoes and green beans!

Stuffed and it went done very well with the minions here so all happy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Sort of a noodle bowl with finely chopped celery and red peppers, cold roast turkey and mustard and honey glazed baked ham, a little lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce and soy sauce... Yum. Had eaten most of it when I realised I hadn't added any leaves. Ah well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

Some baked ham and a few salady bits. Lovely and light after a day at the beach :)

20150607_190148.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Mr. Merkin made a gargantuan pot of his delicious chilli last night so had it again tonight, very tasty!

• Advertisement

Endeavouring to try and eat a little better so hoping posting will keep up the effort! With the nice weather it had to be a BBQ, pic is poor as had started serving when I remembered to take one!

Dinner was lamb steaks in a mint marinade, potato salad, sweet potato and chickpea salad and a beautiful butternut squash salad with yellow peppers, baby tomatoes and green beans!

Stuffed and it went done very well with the minions here so all happy

That all looks absolutely sublime, wow! I was tempted to lick my iPad screen but thought best not! :P I love the look of the chickpea salad. What did you do and how did you manage to keep the sweet potatoes so non soggy? And what was in the mint marinade please?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭KatW4

Went out for dinner this evening with my boyfriend.

Starter: Vegetable soup with brown bread and rolls for me. Spicy chicken wings with a garlicky sauce and side salad for bf.

Main course: We both had chicken kiev which was delicious! It was stuffed with cream cheese and chives and then had the thickest,creamiest garlic sauce. Had that with mash potato and veg!

Dessert: Profiteroles with chocolate sauce for me and death by chocolate fudge cake for himself.

I have a pain in my tummy from being so full!

Merkin wrote: »
    That all looks absolutely sublime, wow! I was tempted to lick my iPad screen but thought best not! :P I love the look of the chickpea salad. What did you do and how did you manage to keep the sweet potatoes so non soggy? And what was in the mint marinade please?

Thank you, I've been working on the sweet potatoes this week, they go down well with the kids but as you said can be quite soggy. I cut them to about 2 cm square sizes, coated in black pepper and salt and the minimum amount of olive oil. I noticed that too much oil means soggy potatoes. Cooked them for 30 mins at 180. Chickpeas were fried with shallots, garlic and some ground coriander. Threw in some lettuce for greenery

I can't help on the mint marinade as I actually picked those up from my local butchers, fenlons in Stillorgan. But based on taste it was sweet so I reckon some brown sugar, mint and oil. It was delicious, actually heading to get more this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

Repeat of Saturday's dinner, but with lamb chops and hummus. It was even tastier, oh god i love fatty lamb chops.

slack_for_ios_upload_1024.png

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

Chicken with ginger, spring onions, sugar snap peas and black beans.

1rgQLP6.png

Thank you, I've been working on the sweet potatoes this week, they go down well with the kids but as you said can be quite soggy. I cut them to about 2 cm square sizes, coated in black pepper and salt and the minimum amount of olive oil. I noticed that too much oil means soggy potatoes. Cooked them for 30 mins at 180. Chickpeas were fried with shallots, garlic and some ground coriander. Threw in some lettuce for greenery

I can't help on the mint marinade as I actually picked those up from my local butchers, fenlons in Stillorgan. But based on taste it was sweet so I reckon some brown sugar, mint and oil. It was delicious, actually heading to get more this morning

Thanks so much. I go to Dwyers butchers in the Merrion Centre but I must go to Fenlons as I'm not far and people are always raving about it. Thanks so much for tips!!

Hubby caught a beautiful 7lb rainbow trout fly fishing in a lake in Wicklow yesterday so going to have it this evening. Yum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

Chicken stir fry with lettuce wraps instead of rice.

Tonight's offering was to use the remaining salad from last night. I served it with pan fried hake with a lemon butter sauce, on a bed of leeks and sugar snap peas.

Followed it with some homemade strawberry ice cream, no pics of that though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

Had leftover black pudding from a fry yesterday. Stuffed it into chicken breasts, wrapped in serrano ham, with mash and broccoli. I had a really nice mushroom sauce too but I had the foresight to take the picture first because it didn't look as good as it tasted!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Roast loin of bacon tonight.

v7uqe9.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement