Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Was planning to barbecue a whole chicken this evening but kids opted for a walk in the lovely weather rather than sitting in the garden. I had prepared the sides earlier, so I threw the chicken in the oven and off we went.
    Maple and mustard roast chicken, red cabbage slaw with pumpkin seeds and chia, sauteed sweet potato and aubergine cubes with green chilli and pistachio, sauteed portobello mushroom (son's veg du jour so had to have them almost every day) and mixed baby leaves.

IMG_20150608_194216_zpssbk8laul.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Pan fried trout (caught yesterday) with potato and chive salad and regular salad.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Moody_mona wrote: »
    Had leftover black pudding from a fry yesterday. Stuffed it into chicken breasts, wrapped in serrano ham, with mash and broccoli. I had a really nice mushroom sauce too but I had the foresight to take the picture first because it didn't look as good as it tasted!

I see the franziskaner in the background !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

vicwatson wrote: »
    I see the franziskaner in the background !!!

Can't beat a Lidl deal :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,004 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Pan basted duck breasts, fried courgette cubes, Thai fragrant rice and a rhubarb, ginger and soy sauce.

7vJTMs.jpg

• Advertisement

BBQ (gas)d hake fillets with a cooked tomato and olive salsa with Lidl special filled fresh pasta.

6AQX7C.jpg

Strip loins, grilled tomatoes, kale from the garden, Lidl special filled fresh pasta and sage butter.

4HaVK8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Another day, another BBQ, loving this weather! Tonight was chicken in a honey and paprika marinade, homemade beef burgers and sausages.

Served with the last of the potato salad, some more sweet potato and chickpea salad, Greek salad and a mixed bean and tomato salad.

Was delicious and even nicer being able to eat it outside, really hope we get more of this weather this summer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Tonight we had baked plaice fillets with parmesan and breadcrumb crust, home made oven chips, peas and tartar sauce. I'd eaten half before I thought of taking a photo and it wasn't pretty by then.

BBQ (gas)d hake fillets with a cooked tomato and olive salsa with Lidl special filled fresh pasta.

how do you BBQ your fish?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Roast pork steak in a cherry tomato, sweet pepper & mushroom sauce, served with basmati rice. Marinated the pork overnight so it was nice & juicy.

bfmmn5.jpg

how do you BBQ your fish?

with one of these

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRCV0eAAGU6r1DdW2mHf2bChPWw2Uqm7uVEZnu_lRwHbpeky6k7KQ

with one of these

very cool! I have something like that, never thought of using it for fish. Guess what's on the menu for tomorrow so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

Chicken ceaser salad

I say salad....

It was really a heap of chicken with lettuce and sauce

with one of these

very cool! I have something like that, never thought of using it for fish. Guess what's on the menu for tomorrow so.

They're great.
    Just season the fish, brush with a little oil and give it a couple of minutes each side on a hot grill.

Did cod in BBQ, it was grand but not my most favourite ever. Think I'll try another fish before I give up hope of BBQ fish.

Surf and turf rare flat iron steak, sauteed king prawns, red cabbage slaw, sauteed sweet potato cubes, baby cucumbers and baby tomatoes.

IMG_20150611_190314_zpsgaznssvl.jpg

Wow, that looks amazing! I'd happily have a spread like that as my last meal. What's your technique for sautéing the sweet potato cubes?

Custardpi wrote: »
    Wow, that looks amazing! I'd happily have a spread like that as my last meal. What's your technique for sautéing the sweet potato cubes?

I just heat up coconut oil in a frying pan on medium and add the cubed sweet potatoes, stir every now and again until they're brown and cooked through, which should only take about 6-8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper before taking them out.

The other day I was making these to go with roast chicken. I added some chicken juice a tablespoon at a time and let it absorb. That was really yum. Didn't need any seasoning.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Kurumba

Kebabs from the cooking club, made with pork and beef mince. Plenty for tomorrow's dinner as well. Sooo good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭KatW4

My friends made us a BBQ today and it was amazing!

We had mini burgers with blue cheese (normal cheddar cheese for me), a nandos style chicken breast, sausages, potatoes cooked in garlic oil, salad and coleslaw. It was the best BBQ I've ever had!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Did cod in BBQ, it was grand but not my most favourite ever. Think I'll try another fish before I give up hope of BBQ fish.

BBQing fish - I would use a whole fish rather then a fillet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Taboola

I had BBQ salmon tacos with and avocado salsa and some feta.

b5nmog.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

these bad boys, jerk chicken

23lcqog.jpg

eaten with creamy mash and a side of jerk bbq sauce heated ... very mooorish

17sumx.jpg

Chicken and veg loaded Thai red curry, with pearl and red quinoa and baby cucumber. My curry lack oomph tonight for some reason.

IMG_20150612_200212_zpszlquuuvd.jpg

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    My curry lack oomph tonight for some reason.

Add more chillies! Love making a really spicy Thai curry with plenty of Birdseyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Chicken and veg loaded Thai red curry, with pearl and red quinoa and baby cucumber. My curry lack oomph tonight for some reason.

I find veggies water down my curries, if that's maybe the issue?

I find veggies water down my curries, if that's maybe the issue?

Maybe, although I did reduce the curry right down to concentrate the flavour.
    Custardpi wrote: »
    Add more chillies! Love making a really spicy Thai curry with plenty of Birdseyes.

This could be it, I had to make it mild to feed the family, and added chopped bird's eye chillies on my plate. It's just not the same when it's not infused in the curry paste, is it?

Maybe, although I did reduce the curry right down to concentrate the flavour.

This could be it, I had to make it mild to feed the family, and added chopped bird's eye chillies on my plate. It's just not the same when it's not infused in the curry paste, is it?

The cooking should release more of the flavour of the chillies, definitely nicer than just having them added later. As for veggies watering down the curry have you tried maybe starting to cook them in a separate pan first, then when they've reduced down a bit & some of the water has evaporated from them adding them to the meat, chillies etc. A bit more awkward but would work better in terms of maintaining flavour. Another alternative is to cook in the same pan but reserve half of the chillies, paste etc until the veg has reduced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭rosie16

I had curried, roasted carrots, sweet potatoes and potatoes with fish. I discovered something very interesting. Peanut butter goes really with 'curried, roasted potatoes and veg.' It sounds weird but it was actually really nice.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement