Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Connemara Farmer

Salmon & spinach with tartar cream (albeit made with yogurt not creme fraiche), was too late in the evening to bother with a mash etc.

Strawberries, blackberries, banana ice cream...... nom! (didn't last long enough for photo)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Had a bite to eat at The Skeffington Arms in Galway last weekend and forgot to post a pic.

It was just a steak sandwich on ciabatta with mushrooms and onions, served with chips, BUT my God it was delicious.
    They didn't just shove a thin rubbery bit of meat in between two slices of bread; they used proper steak!

Juicy moist slices of meat and gorgeous onion and mushrooms..I devoured it all, but had to leave the chips.

8x4nbp.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Taboola

Not dinner but my pre-dinner snack. I'm making the Doner Kebabs from the cooking club with chicken later and baked the skins that I didn't need. Made homemade chipotle mayo as well for the kebabs.

IMG_1529_zpszf7uxti2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 31,886 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Last night, I baked some chicken thighs that had been marinated in a greek yogurt and pesto mix and it was divine. I added sautéed sweet potato and homemade coleslaw. I made two thighs so there was another left over today for a cold lunch salad on the go.

The marinate was simple, a few spoons of greek yogurt, pesto, black pepper, garlic and olive oil.

Today, I made Tortilla Pizza. The base was much nicer than the quinoa one I made yonks ago. The tortilla goes lovely and crispy! I added pesto, mozzarella, yellow pepper and pepperoni. The only problem is it wasn't very filling so I know I'm gonna be hungry later!

I'll definitely be loading this up with some meat the next time coz it was really, really nice!

11407163_10155630549535307_9175597789897436039_n.jpg?oh=21df570ffc0445e49a13e5caf1442947&oe=5633DE8C

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Taboola

Chicken kebab.

kebab_zps0gpsrjdi.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Today, I made Tortilla Pizza. The base was much nicer than the quinoa one I made yonks ago. The tortilla goes lovely and crispy! I added pesto, mozzarella, yellow pepper and pepperoni. The only problem is it wasn't very filling so I know I'm gonna be hungry later!

I'll definitely be loading this up with some meat the next time coz it was really, really nice!

The base didn't go soggy at all? Looks lovely!

The base didn't go soggy at all? Looks lovely!

It was soft-ish but not soggy. Crunchy as hell around the edges!

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

Roasted aubergine & tomato bruschetta, lasagne with salad and polenta chips, and a big slice of lemon tart. I think I'm still full after it!

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

Paella on a sunny Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Simple griddled chicken Caesar salad sans parmesan and croutons.

IMG_20150614_193034_zpsqx0yfewt.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Spent the day at Taste of Dublin yesterday. Had some delights from Soder + Ko, Diep and Sika and wayyyyyyyy too much prosecco while dancing to Spring Break :) Had to do a roast chicken and salad when we got home! Met a couple of interesting people, will post in the cooking chat thread about it when I have more time!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Today we had bacon, cabbage, broccoli, carrots, brussels sprouts and potatoes. With gravy of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,467 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Five spice sticky chicken legs with Chinese noodle salad.

9C55D335-3A28-4F32-86E1-D2D684B1760D_zpsj79qj1oy.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Slow cooked beef brisket tonight - seared the meat in a glug of olive oil, smeared with mustard, seasoned, and popped it into the slow cooker with a cup of water, on top of carrots, onions, celery and garlic. Six hours later we had some melt in the mouth meat and the juices produced a fabulous gravy. Roast potatoes and roasted carrots with garlic and herbs on the side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Back to normality today after a weekend away, so wanted something simple. We had pasta with chorizo in a tomato cream. It was delicious, had red onions, red peppers and feta.

Simple but hit the spot

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Rogueish

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Last night, I baked some chicken thighs that had been marinated in a greek yogurt and pesto mix and it was divine. .....

The marinate was simple, a few spoons of greek yogurt, pesto, black pepper, garlic and olive oil.

I gave this a go tonight. It was delish. Many thanks.

I love this thread it always helps me to freshen up ideas for meals. Help stop me getting in a rut.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bigronnie9

made a slow cooker chicken korma last night...didn't turn out as I expected. Not bad, but not what I wanted! Might see if anybody can suggest a fix in the cooking chat thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

chicken madras pie and mash,green beans.. pie out of a tin,mash out of microwave,green beans frozen ....feck alll effort today lol

Pan fried garlic duck breast, sauteed sweet potato and aubergine in ghee, blackberries, baby cucumber and baby leaves, with mustard and maple dressing.

IMG_20150616_210125_zpsumwqsk0q.jpg

• Advertisement

Another BBQ today, usual of chicken, burgers and sausages. Decided on a new salad accompany it: sweet potato and chorizio. Threw in some peppers, red onions and sugar snaps. It was yum!

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

I made a sort of chicken, corn, chorizo and pepper stirfry. it was disgusting. I have no idea what went wrong, but it made me sad:( SUpposed to be for lunch today as well, but i just picked out all the chorizo and binned the rest in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Sirloin steaks from Aldi last night - their 28 day aged. Mother of God they were divine. They had the texture of fillets but the taste of ribeyes. First time trying them and converted I must say. Whilst they were resting I fried off the cooked asparagus in the juices from the steaks - gave them a nice char-grilled look too. Mash and pair of beers and we were happy campers!
    Loire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

We are playing around with chili & ragout/bolognese sauce in the slow cooker. Letting them cook for a really, really long time. Last night we had a ragout that had been cooked for nearly 30 hours (for 20 hours, left over night, then on again the next day for 10, last 2 with the lid off to let some liquid evaporate) was jammers full of flavour and results in a 'dry' type meat sauce rather than a very saucey one. I haven't got the recipe right yet but I'm really liking the texture. More experimentation ahoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

We are playing around with chili & ragout/bolognese sauce in the slow cooker. Letting them cook for a really, really long time. Last night we had a ragout that had been cooked for nearly 30 hours (for 20 hours, left over night, then on again the next day for 10, last 2 with the lid off to let some liquid evaporate) was jammers full of flavour and results in a 'dry' type meat sauce rather than a very saucey one. I haven't got the recipe right yet but I'm really liking the texture. More experimentation ahoy!

Yum, please post the recipe in here when you have perfected it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,467 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Discovered this little gem in the Easy Peasy Recipe thread.
    deisemum wrote: »
    Very easy and the seeds are a good source of potassium, calcium and vitamins B and E, zinc to boost the immune system.

4 boneless chicken fillets (approx 600g)
    2 tbsp seeesame seeds
    2 tbsp golden linseeds
    3oz/75gms fresh breadcrumbs
    2 tbsp ready-grated Parmesan cheese
    2 medium eggs
    2-3 tbsp sunflower oil

Rinse and pat dry chicken fillets and cut into long thin strips.
    Mix together the seeds, breadcrumbs and cheese on a plate.
    Put the eggs in a bowl, beat.
    Dip the chicken strips into the egg, then roll in the breadcrumb mixture.
    Heat a little of the oil in a non-stick pan and add as many chicken pieces as will fit in a single layer and fry for 6 - 7 minutes (depending on size) turning once or twice until golden brown. Remove from pan and keep warm, repeat for remainder of dippers.

They may be finished in the oven but reduce frying time

Served with crunchy potatoes and because Mum is out - no veg! :eek:

91015ABB-D504-4B34-BC6C-9C73FFF0FADD_zpsyn463imz.jpg

Tonight was an early dinner as we're off to Beck. Unseasonable, but very delicious was my fish pie.

Lidl fish mix, onions, leeks, carrots, peas, fish stock, cream, chive and dill, topped with creamy mashed potatoes! Wish I had brought some with me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

Spinach and salami omelette with a side salad of rocket spinach lettuce parmesan tomatoes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

For starters, mushrooms with a garlic cream sauce, mains swordfish with new potatoes and rice, and yoghurt with candied oranges and a shot of raki to finish. Nothing cooked by myself...it's Vachus taverna in Elounda, Crete. All that, hubby's starters and mains and a half litre of lovely red for 39 euro

• Advertisement

Quinoa goreng with prawns.

IMG_20150617_210340_zpsqh4gftee.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement