Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Mrs fox, I'd love that recipe if there is one... Otherwise a rough guide would be great!

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bigronnie9

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Quinoa goreng with prawns.

Mrs Fox that looks unreal, if only I could stick a spoon through the screen!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Bought a pizza base and topped it with sundried tomato sauce, mozzarella, feta, basil, mushrooms, and sundried tomatoes. Very yummy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Quick, tasty dinner last night - chicken fillets sealed in the frying pan, then into a casserole dish with fried onion and mushies, and a tin of chopped tomatoes, nicely seasoned. Into the oven to finish cooking the chicken and til the sauce was bubbling with crispy bits on the edges. Served with steamed baby spuds and cherry tomatoes.

Mmmm, buttery baby spuds....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,004 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

5 minute dinner:D
    Chicken thigh meat with Frank's Hotsauce, dressed rocket and tomatoes.

7Rw7s3.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭NOS3

Roasted chicken covered in cajun, with iceberg lettuce and cherry tomatoes. Simple, but very tasty.

To be followed by nutella muffins. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

yellow hen wrote: »
    Mrs fox, I'd love that recipe if there is one... Otherwise a rough guide would be great!

Sure thing wifey:D

Cook a cup of quinoa (i used 3/4 pearl, 1/4 red) in a cup of water, by bringing to boil then turn the heat down to low, covered, for 12-15 minutes. Heat off, fluff the quinoa with fork and set aside. Unlike rice, I find that it's not necessary to leave the quinoa to cool completely/overnight.
    Heat up oil (coconut oil) on high and stir fry the veg first (chopped fine beans + sliced baby corns + grated carrots) for a few minutes. Add in sliced spring onion white part and minced garlic, stir until fragrant. Add prawns, stir.
    Push everything to one side, pour a beaten egg, leave it until it's just about ready, then add in the quinoa, a dash of soy sauce (tamari), fish sauce, ground white pepper, and mix everything together vigorously until it's well cooked. Check seasoning, add if necessary. Sprinkle with chopped green spring onion.

Tonight was buckwheat pancakes filled with goat's cheese, sauteed mushroom and spring onion. And a handful of leafy greens.

IMG_20150618_232342_zpsycwkq2yy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Local fish monger was selling 3 x good size* salmon fillets for 5e yesterday so salmon it was. Fried on the pan with butter. Served with roast baby potatoes and a nice salad (mixed leaves, cherry toms, scallions, crumbled feta and my standard dressing). I poured my go-to sauce over the salmon** . It was yummy.

* note like those match-sticks you get at Tesco
    ** melt butter on the frying pan, when bubbling at the juice of a lemon and some chopped, mixed herbs. Swirl for 20 seconds and all done.

Loire.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Loire wrote: »
    Local fish monger was selling 3 x good size* salmon fillets for 5e yesterday so salmon it was. Fried on the pan with butter. Served with roast baby potatoes and a nice salad (mixed leaves, cherry toms, scallions, crumbled feta and my standard dressing). I poured my go-to sauce over the salmon** . It was yummy.

* note like those match-sticks you get at Tesco
    ** melt butter on the frying pan, when bubbling at the juice of a lemon and some chopped, mixed herbs. Swirl for 20 seconds and all done.

Loire.

Speaking of which. I was looking for salmon fillets yesterday to use up some Tikka Masala paste that I had made the other day for a curry.
    Checked in M&S and they were mad money for two "match-sticks" so I ended up getting a full chicken instead with the idea of spatchcocking it.

I just added the paste to some leftover yoghurt and a squeeze of lemon juice and then spread it over the chicken after I'd scored it a few times. Think it only took an hour to cook but it was beautiful. So tender and juicy.

It actually worked out better using the chicken as I could use up all the other stuff from making a curry the other night.

Spatchcocking is pretty simple too. It's a bit gruesome if you're squeamish but it takes about two minutes to do. Definitely gonna try it on a BBQ soon.

352505.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

That's fab!

Loire wrote: »
    That's fab!
    Cheers. Although I can't emphasise enough how easy it was to do. I'm just surprised it's taken me so long to try it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I recently spatchcocked a chicken for the first time (according to Minder's Vietnamese chicken recipe, so I'm not sure if it's full spatchcocking) but I was also amazed by how straight forward it was! I put it off for years too for no reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Grilled chicken breast with mash and carrots at The Gresham. Really nice food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I'm a little pro at spatchcocking & jointing chickens now (but I will absolutely admit to squeamishness at first. The noises & light gore took a little getting used to!)

Pro tip - don't bother buying a spatchcocking sheers. I got myself one when out on a gadget buying bender in Stock and all it's good for is giving you a really hard pinch in the rib fat (not that I have such a thing, obviously. This is all guesswork on my part) when you are trying to squeeze it. A sharp and possibly heavy knife is your only friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Been thinking of trying the spatchcock thing myself but can't find a reliable guide to cooking times with it, though I know it's a lot quicker than normal . If roasting at 200 C how long should a spatchcocked chicken get per lb?

Custardpi wrote: »
    Been thinking of trying the spatchcock thing myself but can't find a reliable guide to cooking times with it, though I know it's a lot quicker than normal . If roasting at 200 C how long should a spatchcocked chicken get per lb?

Cooking time is the same as cooking a couple of chicken breasts on the bone. Everything is pretty much the same thickness so you can't really go wrong. Just take it out after 45 mins and see if the juices run clear from the thickest part. The under part of it kinda becomes a catchment area for all the juices so if it's done in the oven on a rack it stays really moist.

I'd say it'd be harder to time on a BBQ, but it'd probably be nicer if cooked properly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I'm the most squeamish person in the world, and I'm extremely proud that I can spatchcock a chicken :)

We had Freezer Feast tonight. I had lamb left over from the Cooking Club kebabs, and pitta breads, so we had those with salad, garlic mayo and taco sauce. I also defrosted some chicken curry and we had the lot with oven chips and onion rings.

The kids wanted spaghetti and I had no passata/tinned tomatoes in the larder. So I made 'Mee goreng mamak' with gluten-free spaghetti and whatever veg I had left. It was delicious, I made one for myself too! Clean plates.

IMG_20150619_193932_zpsmfbimiaf.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

I made chicken satay followed by those banana pancakes the internet is always going on about. They were surprisingly good!

slack_for_ios_upload_1024.png

slack_for_ios_upload_1024.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Ocean Blue

dibkins wrote: »
    I made chicken satay followed by those banana pancakes the internet is always going on about. They were surprisingly good!

<Snip>: Please don't quote pictures!

Satay sauce looks fab! Recipe please?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,467 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Night out for Mum and Dad!!!!!! :)

We went to Locks in Portobello. Sweetbread starter was ok, they burnt the asparagus - very bitter. Pork Belly main was fantastic. Finished with the cheese board. The white one top right was amazing, texture and flavour, the one on the wonky spoon top left, I was warned to eat last as it will smother your taste buds. It was all the flavours of the farmyard - chicken ****, pigs, goats and cows, it was incredible. All washed down with a nice glass of port of course.

DB073BE5-D47D-4DE5-9721-35A6ACF841BE_zpsel58w2ig.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Makood

Have a slow cooked beef shin on since 11am and for once will post a picture when it's done, whether bad or good. Had a new arrival a few weeks ago and I've been on cooking duty since. I had forgotten how nice a traditional Irish dinner could be, let it be beef, roast chicken, pork, fish and most importantly buttery mash and 2 veg.

And I am drooling at that cheeseboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,467 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Makood wrote: »

Could still taste that wonky spoon cheese when I tasted tonight's Spag Bol.

I tried to persuade Mrs G! to sell our house in Dublin, buy an old country pile with a few acres and make our fortune raising goats and producing smelly cheese. But we'd sobered up by this morning. :rolleyes:

FF2EC850-9AB6-4EC7-8569-A7C4C3B3C304_zpsqqa8hdum.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Makood wrote: »
    Have a slow cooked beef shin on since 11am and for once will post a picture when it's done, whether bad or good. Had a new arrival a few weeks ago and I've been on cooking duty since. I had forgotten how nice a traditional Irish dinner could be, let it be beef, roast chicken, pork, fish and most importantly buttery mash and 2 veg.

Congratulations! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Just had half a Four Cheese pizza from Tesco (it's only €1.22 and it's the nicest frozen pizza I've ever tasted).

Well, I say "half"...I tried cutting in half when it was still frozen, as my other half won't be eating til later, but I ended up butchering it into pieces.
    Still tasted nice. Had it with wedges and salad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Tonight was homemade chicken goujons and chips, no pics surprisingly!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Tonight Dominos cooked our dinner, very kind of them I must say. Pizza, wedges and Ben and Jerry's Greek frozen yoghurt. And full sugar Coke with lots of ice. So bad. So good. Leftovers for breakfast!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

Reverse seared sirloin steak, roast potatoes, carrots and asparagus.

352755.jpg

• Advertisement

b.gud wrote: »
    Reverse seared sirloin steak, roast potatoes, carrots and asparagus.

I'd like to give this a go on my next steak night. Can you give me a rough guide what temp in the oven and for how long?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement