Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Dinner for one. Rib eye steak, rare, with fried onions. Leftover spuds from yesterday given a little lift in the frying pan, and leftover salad with vinaigrette.

206f0k5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Tonight was fish cakes and salad.

Cakes were a bit of a disaster, over cooked potatoes so they turned to mush making the cakes too wet. Then realised I had very little flour or oil! I'm coeliac so popping to local shop for flour wasn't an option. Decided best way to tackle this was to make extra large ones so I'd need less oil and flour. They tasted yum.

Salads were stables of beetroot and carrot, sweet potato and chickpeas and butternut squash and peas.

All finished off with an apple, rhubarb and raspberry crumble which was very good. Changed my topping to make the crumble more crunchy (changed sugar/butter ratio and added some oats)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭KatW4

Chicken in black pepper sauce with boiled rice. I think I might pass out from being so full :O

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

You know one of those days when you just make a lovely dinner and end up quite chuffed with yourself? Well this evening I did duck breasts on a bed of red wine braised green lentils with smoked bacon and it was really good. It's based on my favourite dish in Fallon & Byrne and I'm very pleased with how it turned out. Requires a few tweaks but the flavour was great and mopped it up with crusty, soft, moreish white bread. Will do it with cabbage next time.

Merkin wrote: »
    You know one of those days when you just make a lovely dinner and end up quite chuffed with yourself? Well this evening I did duck breasts on a bed of red wine braised green lentils with smoked bacon and it was really good. It's based on my favourite dish in Fallon & Byrne and I'm very pleased with how it turned out. Requires a few tweaks but the flavour was great and mopped it up with crusty, soft, moreish white bread. Will do it with cabbage next time.

Recipe if you please, good lady!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Chicken & ham pie and christened the new waffle iron with waffle icecream sandwiches (2 warm waffles, scoop of icecream, grated dark chocolate, squish all together). Was a thing of beauty. But was just informed that the waffle batter had 300g of butter, 300g of sugar and 5 eggs in it. Now, more than half the batter is still left but that shan't be something I'll be eating every evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Spicy fried carrot noodles with prawns.

IMG_20150623_195110_zpsyfbk5ogw.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Ms Brinty is working late so It's Mac and cheese for the dinner for me this evening, with loads of left overs for lunches for the rest of the week..
    Lots of cheddar, gouda, blue cheese and parmesan going in to it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Last night I had falafel and baba ganoush with salad and flatbread from Café Oasis in Smithfield. Cheap and very, very tasty. I'm informed the kebab is excellent as well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭maryfred

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Spicy fried carrot noodles with prawns.

Literally licking the screen! Recipe please. Hope I didn't quote the photo.

• Advertisement

Another solo dinner. Scallops, chorizo, garlic, salad, bread.

6tfyhg.jpg

maryfred wrote: »
    Literally licking the screen! Recipe please. Hope I didn't quote the photo.

Trying to recall the steps so bear with me.
    Heat wok on high, melt about a tbsp of coconut oil. Stirfry a handful of sliced mushroom until they get a nice golden colour. Add a couple of minced garlic, about a tsp of grated ginger, sliced white spring onion, green chilli, stir until fragrant. Add julienned carrots (i may have used about 3-4 medium carrots to feed 1 adult + 2 kids), and keep stirring until the carrots softened a bit. Push the content of pan aside, add 1/2 tsp curry powder, a dash of soy sauce (i used tamari), a dash of fish sauce, a small squeeze of tomato puree and a dash of hot sauce and mix vigorously. Add a couple of tbsp of water to steam, then add prawns, mix everything together.
    Push the content aside again, pour in a couple of beaten eggs and let it sit until half cooked, then stir everything together again. Check that the carrots soft but firm to bite. Season to taste, and sprinkle with green spring onion. A squeeze of lime to finish.

An addition of beansprouts would've been great but I haven't any.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

I fell so in love with that meal, Foxy. That I hit report post instead of thanking it :eek:

Don't worry I didn't hit enter :p

Recipe if you please, good lady!

Most certainly young man! I looked around online and this is what I based mine on.

http://lookimadethat.com/2010/06/29/duckconfit/

I didn't confit the duck as didn't have time and it's a fart around for two for a weekday dinner but pan fried is just as nice. I roughly followed the recipe but:

Added celery
    Used more garlic because I'm a sucker for it
    Used about 2/3 of recommended chicken stock (added spoon of Swiss bouillon to this too)
    I pan fried the duck and had it beautifully and perfectly crispy but I followed the recipe (I NEVER follow recipes and this is an example of why!!!) and nestled the duck as recommended which then 'uncrisped' the skin a little so I'd recommend pan frying, rendering fat etc in pot you use for lentils so you get juices but then finishing in oven before laying on braised lentils at end.

Above all, it's dead easy to make but wonderfully delicious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭maryfred

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    a dash of hot sauce

One more question then I'll buzz off. What's hot sauce? I have everything in my fridge,freezer and store cupboard to make this except the coconut oil and the hot sauce.
    My OH said this evening that we should put together a list of quick recipes that we can throw together when we're just passing each other for an hour in the evening. Methinks this will be joining the list. The joys of shift work!!

maryfred wrote: »
    One more question then I'll buzz off. What's hot sauce? I have everything in my fridge,freezer and store cupboard to make this except the coconut oil and the hot sauce.
    My OH said this evening that we should put together a list of quick recipes that we can throw together when we're just passing each other for an hour in the evening. Methinks this will be joining the list. The joys of shift work!!

You can use sunflower/veg oil/butter/light and mild olive oil. Coconut oil is just my fat of choice these days.
    Hot sauce I used was Heinz Chipotle. Any hot sauce will do, Frank's, Tabasco, or even a tiny sprinkle of chilli/cayenne powder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Tonight was a simple-but-tasty pork & noodle dish with extra veggies for the non-lacanophobic dinner eater. Followed by a waffle icecream sandwich with dark chocolate and peanut butter.

GqUHa69.jpg

MdTMJ1k.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

[QUOTE=maryfred;96000599. The joys of shift work!![/QUOTE]
    Any tips on avoiding raging indigestion? Just started nights recently and it's a chronic affliction for me!

On Thursday, at the C&R mini-meetup, fish and chips in the Patriots Inn. Hake.
    WP_20150625_19_41_47_Pro1_zpsvvt18qf5.jpg

Sorry for starting before waiting for you to arrive, by the way! Great to meet you and have a chat.

If you hear of a table quiz, you know who to PM!

Duck breast pan fried and finished in the oven, sauteed garlic mushroom, steamed fine beans, sweet potato cubes roasted in ghee.

IMG_20150627_211824_zpsscvuni4r.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Nice burger and chips in the Tramyard in Dalkey. Just got tucked into it and the heavens opened. Had to relocate under cover!

WP_20150627_17_37_16_Pro_zpsrgnjka6y.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

tampopo wrote: »
    Nice burger and chips in the Tramyard in Dalkey. Just got tucked into it and the heavens opened. Had to relocate under cover!

At least you got your burger on a decent plate. I'm sick of getting them on narrow bits of slate or board, where there's no room for manoeuvre. You can forget cutting the burger, as there's no room, and the bits that inevitably fall out miss the slate or board and fall on the table...

Who started this stupid fashion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

katydid wrote: »
    At least you got your burger on a decent plate. I'm sick of getting them on narrow bits of slate or board, where there's no room for manoeuvre. You can forget cutting the burger, as there's no room, and the bits that inevitably fall out miss the slate or board and fall on the table...

Who started this stupid fashion?

Builders with their breakfast rolls :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Ferran Adria's slow braised lamb neck with mustard and mint. Absolutely wonderful.

IMG_20150621_190129_zpscy0rhqrj.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭EITS

Had braised beef short ribs with garlic rosemary and red wine jus, have to say I'm well chuffed with how it came out for so little prep time. Said to my friend who was over, that it was the first dinner I've ever cooked I'd be happy to pay for if I was out.

20150628_175831.jpg

20150628_184332.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Last night we had the Cooking Club kebabs again. Tonight I defrosted some leftover carvery roast beef I'd cooked last week and reheated it with fresh potatoes and veg.
    It was my first time to buy carvery roast, it's so expensive, but it was worth every cent because it's so tender and flavoursome.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Last night we had the Cooking Club kebabs again. Tonight I defrosted some leftover carvery roast beef I'd cooked last week and reheated it with fresh potatoes and veg.
    It was my first time to buy carvery roast, it's so expensive, but it was worth every cent because it's so tender and flavoursome.
    What's "carvery beef"?

Turmeric roast chicken, red quinoa, side salad & fresh chilli.

IMG_20150628_194954_zpsai4gd4vu.jpg

I think this is the closest I've come to a food coma. We were away for the weekend and my lovely Dad sent us back with a side of wild smoked salmon. I made penne with cream, white wine, smoked salmon and chives and it was SO full of flavour and only took about fifteen minutes but I'm now officially close to losing consciousness and mhugvgucyfxfyxyfc :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

katydid wrote: »
    What's "carvery beef"?

It's a cut of rib roast on the bone and it's extremely tender. It looks like this, although the bones on mine still had meat attached.

2wexgz5.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭NOS3

Being from the south I never heard of coddle until I came across threads about it on this forum. I decided to give it a go. It was pretty nice, but I had no idea it would be that filling. One bowl and I couldn't move. :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement