Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

I can confirm the pork shoulder that's been in the oven for nearly 20 hours is absolutely epic!

The crackling (insert drooling smiley!)

• Registered Users Posts: 49 hungergamer

Got a present of the Avoca cook book so made the Mediterranean Vegetable tart. Served it with carrot and sesame seed salad, and brocolli, feta, tomato and cashew nut salad! Leftovers for lunch tomorrow :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

5unflower wrote: »
    Lamb shanks, Moroccan style, with roasted peppers and couscous. And the chocolate lava cakes made another appearance, too :-)

Lovely dish, what did you serve it in? Is that an oven to table dish?

Tonight we had roast leg of lamb, roast spuds, yorkies, cauli and cheese, broccoli, green beans, wilted spinach and lashings of gravy. Mini Minder wanted yorkies at the last minute so we had a glut of roast potatoes. I was also surprised having bought what I thought was the largest cauli in the rack, only to find it was barely enough for two people. It was mostly made up of trimmed leaves and stalks.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

After picking up Trish Deseine's "Nobody does it better" I decided to go la francaise last night:

Aperatif: Pineau des Charentes

Starter: Moules Mariniere

Main: Baked hake with garlic stuffed roast tomatoes and roast baby potatoes

Dessert: (First time making) Creme Brulee

Washed down with a Chablis :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,771 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I poached a couple of sheets of pork ribs this morning in a broth of miso, black peppercorns & teriyaki & then left them to cool in the liquor. When cool, I popped them in the fridge with a marinade of soy, sambal oelek & marmalade.

After a quick blast under the grill this evening, they were a real treat with a beer after the rugby.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,088 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Tried my hand at making bread earlier, you can see for yourself how it ended.

A9CB783F4FB640F09CAC365C29E6106E-0000324795-0003491682-00640L-AA0F7EED92484F22935B3A0F14CE07F8.jpg

4EBAA356D4AB4B4F989385A849A089AD-0000324795-0003491683-00640L-854B90596C234ECBBED25BFBE00A85C1.jpg

Fared better with the pizza's thank god.

4B51A8D3AC374EF5943BD011C6898341-0000324795-0003491685-00640L-56F35EA75A304759B57EEBD2667D5DAC.jpg

B140F926CA35411E8D57521782D1AB99-0000324795-0003491684-00640L-C6C3EB82479E4147B1F52EE61273BDB8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Made two ginormous batches of Goulash and Italian Meatballs from the Cooking Club.

Meatballs took ages (as usual) but I'm now sorted for about a gazillion dinners. :pac:

I love being able to come home after a busy day and grab something really tasty and homemade from the freezer.......makes the aching feet worthwhile. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭5unflower

Minder wrote: »
    Lovely dish, what did you serve it in? Is that an oven to table dish?

Thanks, it's actually just a bog standard cast iron casserole dish :-)

Tonight's dinner was...well, nothing worth mentioning, had a lovely brunch out today, and lazy Sunday afternoon, so there were only some homemade paninis for a light supper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I'm an NFL fan but I've been under the weather so it's the first time watching the Superbowl at home in years... made something fitting to watch it with - pork belly, deep friend jalapeno, home made/deep fried sweet potato chips. The pork doesn't look great but tasted great, and I've always struggled with home-made chips... double frying them really does make the world of difference.

Pics taken on my brand new Galaxy Note 3 that I just got today. First time having anything more than a 'budget' smartphone, and this thing is mind blowing.

2014_02_02_23_57_37.jpg

20140202_235816.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭amklo

No pics, but last night we'd rib eye steaks served with carrot & parsnip mash, fried red onion, mushroom & spinach and my best attempt to date at homemade wedges...followed by the cooking club apple tart and ice cream. Not bad for a day that started quite hungover.

Saturday was free range chicken breast stuffed with cream cheese & pesto, wrapped in bacon and served with spinach, peas and a few sweet potato wedges.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

Last night we had friends coming over and no time to prepare in advance so we had a selection of 'antipasti' type foods:

Tomato salad with garlic, EVOO and balsamic vinegar
    Goats cheese salad with bacon and raspberry vinaigrette
    Prosciutto and spicy salami
    Mixed olives and sundried tomatoes
    Brie
    Grapes
    Ciabatta

Tea and biccies for dessert. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I had leftover jambalaya, leftover refried black beans and a complete embargo on going into a supermarket or buying any food (forcing myself to live on budget) so today I made baked leftover/bean burger yokes with feta, chickpeas and a nice salad. I did cave and buy coriander but coriander is on my exception list. Got to use my mini muffin pan as well and it's lain idle for a year so all in all, whoop.

They were lovely too, very light, even though they look grim indeed below.

7d9e1edf-e9d4-40ad-bf85-d7c31e980e1c_zps5de685dd.jpg

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I got some venison steaks down the country market, so I decided to serve them rare with pommes dauphine and a nice cream sauce.

venison-pommes-dauphine.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Smoked bacon and pea risotto - ultimate comfort food!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

I had leftover jambalaya, leftover refried black beans and a complete embargo on going into a supermarket or buying any food (forcing myself to live on budget) so today I made baked leftover/bean burger yokes with feta, chickpeas and a nice salad. I did cave and buy coriander but coriander is on my exception list. Got to use my mini muffin pan as well and it's lain idle for a year so all in all, whoop.

They were lovely too, very light, even though they look grim indeed below.

I would eat about 80 of them. Right up my street!

Creativity with leftovers is something I really need to work on!

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭fiddlechic

Comfort food overload - had a friend over for dinner so made risotto from yesterday's poached chicken and stock, with ****ake mushrooms. Then porridge crumble with blackberries and apples. And a couple of glasses of vino.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

Sounds yum, but I'm mainly posting because shítake was censored by boards. :)

To keep on topic, I had chicken stir fry with chicken marinated in soy sauce, white wine vinegar, 5 spice, cumin, garlic and ginger. Veg was pak choi, mushrooms, scallions, peppers and beansprouts served with cauliflower rice.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,771 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I did a bit of recycling myself tonight. I stripped the meat from last night's leftover ribs. Made a broth of half miso, half chicken stock with a couple of teaspoons of Thai chili paste, ginger & some chopped fresh chilli.

After the meat warmed through I threw in some udon noodles, shredded scallion & carrot & a bunch of chopped coriander, a splash of soy & the juice of 2 limes.

Hot & sour pork soup ftw!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

I did a bit of recycling myself tonight. I stripped the meat from last night's leftover ribs. Made a broth of half miso, half chicken stock with a couple of teaspoons of Thai chili paste, ginger & some chopped fresh chilli.

After the meat warmed through I threw in some udon noodles, shredded scallion & carrot & a bunch of chopped coriander, a splash of soy & the juice of 2 limes.

Hot & sour pork soup ftw!

That sounds amaaazing :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭fiddlechic

Sounds yum, but I'm mainly posting because shítake was censored by boards. :)

To keep on topic, I had chicken stir fry with chicken marinated in soy sauce, white wine vinegar, 5 spice, cumin, garlic and ginger. Veg was pak choi, mushrooms, scallions, peppers and beansprouts served with cauliflower rice.

Wow, should the censorship influence whether a use rest of packet tonight?
    I think not! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Pissaladiere, nom nom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Bit of a flung-together dinner; homemade burgers, buttery corn on the cob, homemade guacamole with cherry tomatoes and sliced gherkins.

IMAG1447_zps277348c8.jpg

Pissaladiere, nom nom.

Pissa-wha?! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,939 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

We celebrated Chinese New Year in our house on Sunday.

We had homemade lo mai gai, duck pancakes with homemade plum sauce, aromatic braised pork belly, beef (marinated flank steak) with green pepper and black bean sauce with flat noodles.
    There were also numerous stirfries made with various combinations of the following: 1 KG fresh prawns, 1 Kg chicken thigh, tofu, bean sprouts, spring onion, onion, Chinese leaves, chillies, ginger, garlic, duck stock, coconut milk. All served with white Thai rice.

Reckon we fed 30 - 40 people throughout the afternoon and evening.

Last night was beef with green pepper for dinner, tonight is duck pancakes:D

Pissa-wha?! :eek:
    Ha ha, :p

It's a tart that's typical in the south of France, with onions, anchovies and black olives.

Sounds YUM!

Sounds YUM!
    Oh it IS!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

Last night required some comfort food having still been feeling the effects of a sociable weekend!
    I made veal meatballs with quinoa spaghetti in a chili & basil tomato sauce topped with sheep milk cheese. Served with garlic & mozzarella foccacia.
    It hit the spot!

93465e0b-b2b3-4ba7-8955-410e31e32179_zpsd98b977b.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

tmc86 wrote: »
    Last night required some comfort food having still been feeling the effects of a sociable weekend!
    I made veal meatballs with quinoa spaghetti in a chili & basil tomato sauce topped with sheep milk cheese. Served with garlic & mozzarella foccacia.
    It hit the spot!

Quinoa spaghetti - cool - why haven't I heard of this before? Where do you get it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

Animord wrote: »
    Quinoa spaghetti - cool - why haven't I heard of this before? Where do you get it?

I came across it in Wholefoods in the states so had to pick up a pack and try it. I'll try get a pic up later when I'm home but it tasted good for GF spaghetti!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement