Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,772 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Shenshen wrote: »
    Hot and sour broth with noodles, pak choi, red pepper, kale, carrots, inari tofu strips and some chopped spring onions

Very, VERY tasty indeed.

Shenshen - That looks fab! Care to share your broth recipe please?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Shenshen that looks unreal!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Shenshen - That looks fab! Care to share your broth recipe please?

It's misappropriated form a recipe in the Thug Kitchen recipe book, the Roasted Beer and Lime Cauliflower.
    I made that the day before, and the first step in this recipe is to blanch the caulflower in a broth made of the following :

3/4 cup beer
    1/4 cup vegetable broth
    1 tablespoon lime juice
    1 1/2 teaspoons tamari or soy sauce
    1 1/2 tablespoons chipotle hot sauce
    1 to 2 garlic cloves, sliced

I probably added more like 2 tablespoons of soy sauce, though.
    After draining the cauliflower, I kept the broth and simply added the finely sliced veg, inari tofu and noodles to it yesterday.
    The inari tofu adds a bit of sweetness and balances the acidity nicely. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

mixed sausage omelette ,crispy skin on spicy air fried chips

v4aqmq.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Shenshen wrote: »
    I probably added more like 2 tablespoons of soy sauce, though.

I love that book but they're very funny about/sparing on the salty stuff!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Spotted Lidl are now selling little packets of saffron for ~85c, how could you not be tempted to use it! Not the best looking dishes, but the taste was very much there.

Saffron risotto with mussels and king prawn
    YxK6hu8.jpg

And to follow it up, saffron poached pears with a cardamom and mint custard.
    DTg4xac.jpg

Risotto to use up leftover roast chicken and a green leaf salad with french dressing. Muchos parmesan. Out of shot: dog crying because I won't just grate parmesan straight into his mouth for him.

I really need either for the Nikon fairies to visit and give me a free camera or not to have dropped my old phone in 'some water' and also to have one clean surface in my kitchen I can take a photo of food on without scandalising people with the state of it. Being an adult is hard.

B7d4y9f.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Parmesan eating dog eh? :pac:

J Mysterio wrote: »

Oh yes. He's not particular though, being denied any type cheese at all deeply upsets him

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Makood

J Mysterio wrote: »

Excellent :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Flat rice noodle curry laksa. OMG it's sooo spicy.

IMG_20150714_204049_zpsapgrbe5d.jpg

I wonder if Mrs Billy was stalking me in the 'Chat' thread earlier. Lo & behold we had roast chicken with Kwin-OH-ah salad for dins this evening. Very nice it was too. It wouldn't have been as tasty if it was Keen-WAH salad. :pac:

dropped my old phone in 'some water'...

Fiver some water = the loo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

F0363B22-8346-44CA-8870-FF7DC4BDBA0B_zpsg71mpfl0.jpg

Sea bass with fried gnocchi and salad. Made Loire's sauce to go with the fish - ridiculously simple but I loved it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

Spotted Lidl are now selling little packets of saffron for ~85c, how could you not be tempted to use it!

When I was in Ballymaloe for Litfest in May, Darina Allen told us all that even THEY had been stung with buying fake saffron from a very reputable supplier. Apparently, the fake stuff is all over the place at the moment. Using other kinds of strands and dying them with turmeric and the like. She showed us fake and real and there was a definite difference visually in the thickness of the stands alright but I'm pretty sure there are a couple of tests you can do...

What I'm basically getting at is: if it seems too good to be true, it potentially is.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Beef stir fry with green veg and miso and soy sauce. Much too salty; overdid it on the soy, methinks.

With the leftovers of last night's roast chicken I made a summery soup for this evening. Chicken with shredded pak choi, scallions, carrots, celery in a light stock with a few bay leaves & peppercorns. If the weather keeps up I'll be having this in the garden this evening with crusty rolls & a Pinot Grigio.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Roasted veg and pasta bake with feta

sxobxj.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Last night was spicy chicken in pitta with salad. So so tasty, quick and filling too. Cheese was added after the pics were taken...because cheese. Love how it melted slightly over the chicken. Nom.

16abrjt.jpg

5oxb3r.jpg

So tasty that I am considering having the same for breakfast today.

Fiver some water = the loo

5UpUuOj.jpg

• Advertisement

Excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

When I was in Ballymaloe for Litfest in May, Darina Allen told us all that even THEY had been stung with buying fake saffron from a very reputable supplier. Apparently, the fake stuff is all over the place at the moment. Using other kinds of strands and dying them with turmeric and the like. She showed us fake and real and there was a definite difference visually in the thickness of the stands alright but I'm pretty sure there are a couple of tests you can do...

What I'm basically getting at is: if it seems too good to be true, it potentially is.

Well, it was 85c for 0.1g, so not toooo cheap :p You do only need tiny amounts of it though. Besides, lidl being a multi-national and supplying 28 countries in Europe, I think they probably have a better supply chain than Darina Allen does.

Also turmeric might give it the colour, but it won't give it that lovely honey-like flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

jerk chicken,airfried chips,jerk sauce for dipping..

1585q8h.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭NOS3

Chicken curry with brown rice and pitta bread. It was delicious. :)

Saag paneer and chickpea pilau. Yum! (not made by my own fair maulers, arrived courtesy of the man on the bike)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I'm on double antibiotics for a sinus and chest infection so I've completely lost my taste buds which in Merkinworld is probably one of the most devastating things that could ever happen to me. Mr. Merkin wanted to get me a cardiac arrest inducing garlic and chilli chicken from Jewel in the Crown which I may have had some chance of tasting(maybe he's trying to finish me off) but I opted for beans on toast instead. I grated some vintage mature cheddar on top of that which I also couldn't taste so I just sobbed in between mouthfuls and taking breaks for blowing my nose. Not one of my more enjoyable meals...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Merkin wrote: »
    I'm on double antibiotics for a sinus and chest infection so I've completely lost my taste buds which in Merkinworld is probably one of the most devastating things that could ever happen to me. Mr. Merkin wanted to get me a cardiac arrest inducing garlic and chilli chicken from Jewel in the Crown which I may have had some chance of tasting(maybe he's trying to finish me off) but I opted for beans on toast instead. I grated some vintage mature cheddar on top of that which I also couldn't taste so I just sobbed in between mouthfuls and taking breaks for blowing my nose. Not one of my more enjoyable meals...

Oh no - when you're so ill you can't taste, the texture of food is all important and mushy beans are icky. Feel better soon :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 523 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

Chicken kebabs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Duck breasts and potato gratin for us tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We were to have loin of bacon last night, leftovers I'd frozen a couple of weeks ago when I roasted it. I had the veg and potatoes ready but when I took the bacon from the oven where it had been heating it was salty and yuck even though it was lovely the day I cooked it. So I hastily grilled some rashers.

I always freeze cooked ham, but it seems bacon doesn't freeze well :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement