Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Tonight we are having bacon and cabbage. Yum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Tonight we are having bacon and cabbage. Yum.

Ditto!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

I made chicken tikka masala with basmati rice for himself and savoury cauliflower rice for me. I roasted the cauli with a wee bit of oil and some seasoning. It was my first time having it. Yum. Will def have again.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Makood

Makood wrote: »
    jerk chicken,airfried chips,jerk sauce for dipping..

What spuds do you use for those chips? They look amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

Yet another asian pork salad, i'm getting better at these^^ Mixed all together after the pic was taken.
    slack_for_ios_upload_1024.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

95D286D4-3687-4769-8D6B-F5AD73EF3241_zpsx9tpkbnl.jpg

Spicy chicken and cheese pitta with fried gnocchi and salad

• Registered Users Posts: 17,004 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

From a few days back:Duck breasts with apple and blackcurrant sauce, grilled tomatoes and baby peppers, wilted kale with garlic and steamed new potatoes.

K1Lhvtm.jpg

Very simple dinner last night:Flat iron steak, fried new spuds, rocket and tomatoes.

H5YADVq.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

From a few days back:Duck breasts with apple and blackcurrant sauce, grilled tomatoes and baby peppers, wilted kale with garlic and steamed new potatoes.

Now you really make me question why I render all the fat off the duck. They just look divine.
    *cue Hannibal Lecter slurping noise

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Lidls sea bass fillets with oven roasted garlic baby potatoes. Was in a rush so decided frozen peas for veg but "fancied" it up by making sort of mojito peas! Used mint leaves, lime juice and rum, very delicious!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Chicken fried rice to use up a box of leftover chickpea pilau. The take away that just kept giving, must have gotten 4 meals out of it!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Had a puff pastry pie tonight - I tried that method of cutting out squares of puff, then taking an identically-sized square and cutting out its middle, and then layering the cut-out piece on top of the full piece. Viola - a box of pastry! Brushed with egg, baked until risen and golden, and filled with a mixture of leftover shredded ham, spinach, garlic, mushrooms, stock, seasoning and cream. Served with a big salad. Scrumptious!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Had a puff pastry pie tonight - I tried that method of cutting out squares of puff, then taking an identically-sized square and cutting out its middle, and then layering the cut-out piece on top of the full piece. Viola - a box of pastry! Brushed with egg, baked until risen and golden, and filled with a mixture of leftover shredded ham, spinach, garlic, mushrooms, stock, seasoning and cream. Served with a big salad. Scrumptious!

I'm confused. Did you cook the pastry first and then fill it? If so, was the filling hot?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

katydid wrote: »
    I'm confused. Did you cook the pastry first and then fill it? If so, was the filling hot?

I did. It was like a big vol au vent. I baked the pastry and while it was baking, I fried up some mushrooms, spinach etc.

When the pastry came out of the oven I poured in the filling. It was crazy delicious. Clean plates all round and it looked ridiculously impressive for such a simple meal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

I did. It was like a big vol au vent. I baked the pastry and while it was baking, I fried up some mushrooms, spinach etc.

When the pastry came out of the oven I poured in the filling. It was crazy delicious. Clean plates all round and it looked ridiculously impressive for such a simple meal.

Sounds fabulous. As you said, a giant vol au vent.

Roast chicken in ground dried porcini mix rub, braised carrots and petit pois, and homemade oven chips. Everything tasted wonderful. Success.

IMG_20150719_222614_zpsaapa11w4.jpg

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Now you really make me question why I render all the fat off the duck. They just look divine.
    *cue Hannibal Lecter slurping noise

I'd have no problem with more fat rendering out (I can never stop myself from eating all the fat!) but I don't see how you'd do it and still have the meat rare / med rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Aubergine Parmigiana - not quite the traditional recipe, I added lots of grated vegetables to the tomato sauce, the aubergines were baked rather than fried and I replaced the bechamel with cottage cheese.
    Yet, despite all this, it was definitely one of the tastiest I'd ever made.

2llnkhu.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

Went to Deep in Howth on Saturday night. I had the Dublin bay prawns for starters and the seafood paella for mains. It was delish.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,467 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Mac & cheese. Lazy day with the golf on. Nearly made a hames of the cheese sauce, going in and out to watch the telly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

What spuds do you use for those chips? They look amazing

they are actually frozen skin on chips i do in the tefal ,lamb and weston stealth fries there called.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

had to have the bacon n cabbage after the comments here :)

xtra fat chopped and added,love the fat/mash combo ... laced with chef brown sauce after i took pic lol

2e0lr0x.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

Pulled pork and salad in whole grain pitta bread with bacon potato salad

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Shenshen wrote: »
    Aubergine Parmigiana - not quite the traditional recipe, I added lots of grated vegetables to the tomato sauce, the aubergines were baked rather than fried and I replaced the bechamel with cottage cheese.
    Yet, despite all this, it was definitely one of the tastiest I'd ever made.
    P

That looks really healthy and tasty. Can i get the recipe even roughly pretty please?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 523 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

Made pizza for my housemates

Last Friday I was invited to my mate's for Eid celebration. He served Penang Laksa so so delicious, I asked him to give me a shout the next time he makes them again. And so he did today. He's in my good books.
    Thick rice noodles, served in fish and crustacean broth, condiments of cucumber, cherry tomatoes, finger chillies, mint and boiled egg.
    I had seconds.
    I may unashamedly call over again tomorrow should he have leftovers.

IMG_20150720_211307_zpssxiv9o9n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

P

That looks really healthy and tasty. Can i get the recipe even roughly pretty please?

Not difficult at all, really.

I put 1 onion, a few cloves of garlic, a bell pepper, a carrot and some celery into the food processor and got it chopped really fine.

Then fry it all in a large pan until the mixture changes colour a bit and becomes softer. Add 2 tins of chopped tomatoes and a handful of chopped button mushrooms, as well as some dried oregano and thyme, and simmer for about 1 hour or so. Add salt at the very end, as it will reduce down quite a bit.

In the meantime, slice 2 aubergines into thin-ish slices, rub them with a little olive oil, layer them on a baking tray and bake them for about 10 - 15 minutes. They should go slightly brown, you will probably not fit all the slices on one tray in one go so keep at it till they're all nicely soft and brown.

Once you've got the sauce and slices ready, layer them in an oven-proof dish, starting with some sauce. Then some aubergine slices, and spread a bit of cottage cheese on them, then sauce again. I've put in 2 layers of each, but you could do more. Just make sure that the last layer is aubergines. Spread the rest of the cottage cheese on top, and sprinkle with a bit of mozzarella.

Pop it in the oven for about 10 minutes, until the cheese is nicely brown.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

355846.PNG

Sirloin Steak with triple cooked chips Mushrooms onions and pepper with a generous helping of Homemade potato gratin

Plus a little Ramekin of Homemade pepper sauce

First foody post here so hi to all

Was going to do a Rhubarb and lime Tart/crumble with a Crème anglaise but didnt have enough time

Also made some Wholemeal bread to snack on while waiting for dinner yum

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Dear God. Steaks & potato gratin & chips & pepper sauce. Do you require live in help? Will (listlessly) clean your stuff for food.

Tonight we had a Green Saffron korma. Was yummy. Nothing in the jar that you wouldn't cook with either (v. much lacking in ingredients starting in dihydro... etc.) Initially thought 'this is a bit sweet' and then realised I am a dummy and I was eating a korma. Korma is sweet. I also made perfect fluffy basmati by absorption for the first time ever and I have leftovers for lunch.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement