Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Dear God. Steaks & potato gratin & chips & pepper sauce. Do you require live in help? Will (listlessly) clean your stuff for food.

Tonight we had a Green Saffron korma. Was yummy. Nothing in the jar that you wouldn't cook with either (v. much lacking in ingredients starting in dihydro... etc.) Initially thought 'this is a bit sweet' and then realised I am a dummy and I was eating a korma. Korma is sweet. I also made perfect fluffy basmati by absorption for the first time ever and I have leftovers for lunch.

I have one of those waiting in the cupboard to try. Think I'll give in an outing tomorrow. I've used the packets of Green Saffron spices. The Kolkata Chaap is stunning - a bit fiddly to make, but one of the best curries I've ever eaten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

katydid wrote: »
    The Kolkata Chaap is stunning - a bit fiddly to make, but one of the best curries I've ever eaten.

Will have to give it a go! I have a packet of their madras spice mix at home to try next. The korma was really pretty decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I had one of those "let's see what's in the fridge" moments for dinner, with herself out for the night, the world was my oyster. Or mussel, as it turned out.

A cheap bottle of white with about 1 glass remaining and a tub of cream got me thinking. 15 mins later, mussels done in a white wine and cream sauce, served with fresh pasta.

In another recess of the fridge I spotted an unopened bottle of Pouily-Fume. It went surprisingly well with the above.

In fact, it still is. :)

Chicken fried rice with lots of sriracha and soy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Mongolian beef and broccoli with fried rice - no idea what makes it Mongolian but it was extremely tasty. Was a bit frazzled by the time it came to eating due to the baby being fussy so forgot to get a pic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Had a bit of Sirloin left from last night so made it into a medium spiced Curry with the rest of the peppers Mushrooms and onions. Used the stock i made last night as the base for the curry sauce.
    2 Rice Castles and a dollop of coleslaw complete the dish

355945.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Shenshen wrote: »
    Not difficult at all, really.

I put 1 onion, a few cloves of garlic, a bell pepper, a carrot and some celery into the food processor and got it chopped really fine.

Then fry it all in a large pan until the mixture changes colour a bit and becomes softer. Add 2 tins of chopped tomatoes and a handful of chopped button mushrooms, as well as some dried oregano and thyme, and simmer for about 1 hour or so. Add salt at the very end, as it will reduce down quite a bit.

In the meantime, slice 2 aubergines into thin-ish slices, rub them with a little olive oil, layer them on a baking tray and bake them for about 10 - 15 minutes. They should go slightly brown, you will probably not fit all the slices on one tray in one go so keep at it till they're all nicely soft and brown.

Once you've got the sauce and slices ready, layer them in an oven-proof dish, starting with some sauce. Then some aubergine slices, and spread a bit of cottage cheese on them, then sauce again. I've put in 2 layers of each, but you could do more. Just make sure that the last layer is aubergines. Spread the rest of the cottage cheese on top, and sprinkle with a bit of mozzarella.

Pop it in the oven for about 10 minutes, until the cheese is nicely brown.

Thanks a million. Had this for my dinner last night. Very tasty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

Prawns with spicy salsa.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Last night we had dinner at a friend's, and since she cooked a lot, and I mean a lot, we took some home with us.
    Roasted a half leg of lamb rubbed in various dried herbs and smoked paprika, served with last night's tomato rice, veg and lentil curry, baby cucumber and chilli.

IMG_20150722_194857_zpsczffhake.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,772 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I had planned on making a Thai curry soup last night. Had all my prep done - ginger, chillies, garlic & lemongrass ground into a paste; suitable veg sorted - green beans, scallions, shredded Chinese cabbage. Went to the fridge to dig out the Thai curry paste that I usually supplement it with, & took out Patak's Balti paste instead.

It was only when the smell was different that I realised my mistake. Feck it! We'll eat it anyway. A tin of coconut milk, soy & fish sauce, extra lime juice & a couple of teaspoons of Thai 7 spice later & I had an amazing Asian fusion soup. Was thoroughly delighted as were Mrs Billy & The Kids. Definitely one that'll be on the menu again.

Phew! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

Garlicy chicken kievs, couscous cooked in stock with spring onions chopped through, and asparagus and sugar snaps cooked in garlic and butter. There'll be no kissing anyone in the TeletextPear household tonight! :pac:

I was on super spring cleaning mode all day, no way was I going to dirty the kitchen after that. So went to our local Japanese for early dinner.
    Crispy soft-shell crab sushi and seafood tempura, while kids had yaki soba and crabstick sushi.

IMG_20150723_222012_zpsjlrfm5kg.jpg

Striploin steak, homemade oven chips, mushroom and onion sauce, shredded iceberg, and fried egg that I didn't get to eat because scallywag#2 had her eye on it.

IMG_20150724_192947_zpspj2ogh6k.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Salad :)

29cti6p.jpg

northgirl wrote: »
    Salad :)
    Jeepers, that wouldn't fill me up for a dinner!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Jeepers, that wouldn't fill me up for a dinner!

different strokes...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Thai style coconut chilli chicken with coconut rice
    pUO1wte.jpg

Chocolate log filled with ganache on chocolate soil with raspberry sorbet
    I4eVzIs.jpg

Not perfect but first time playing with it... This is what happens when you watch too much masterchef!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Tonight was reheated lasagne, always miles better the second time. Was too busy making a birthday cake to cook from scratch, pic is from the top down as I really need to work on the icing skills

Tonight was reheated lasagne, always miles better the second time. Was too busy making a birthday cake to cook from scratch, pic is from the top down as I really need to work on the icing skills

I had reheated lasagne too. Out of curiosity, how did you reheat it? I find that if you microwave it, it can get soggy, and if you heat in in the oven, it can dry out. Tonight I heated it in the microwave for about ten minutes, and then in the oven for another fifteen minutes or so. It was grand.

I had reheated lasagne too. Out of curiosity, how did you reheat it? I find that if you microwave it, it can get soggy, and if you heat in in the oven, it can dry out. Tonight I heated it in the microwave for about ten minutes, and then in the oven for another fifteen minutes or so. It was grand.

I reheat in the oven as its a full dish, cover it with tinfoil so it keeps the moisture in. Reheat for 30 mins at 180 and take the tinfoil off with about 5 mins to go to crisp it. Worked well

• Advertisement

I reheat in the oven as its a full dish, cover it with tinfoil so it keeps the moisture in. Reheat for 30 mins at 180 and take the tinfoil off with about 5 mins to go to crisp it. Worked well

Thanks. Mine was the second half of a big casserole dish, so I was worried about it drying up, even with foil on top.

Maybe I should have transferred it to a smaller dish.

Thanks. Mine was the second half of a big casserole dish, so I was worried about it drying up, even with foil on top.

Maybe I should have transferred it to a smaller dish.

I know the feeling, I always end up with half a dish burnt! It was unusual to have a smaller dish but I ended up doing it that way as my bigger one has a pasta bake in it. Think I might do it like this from now on as I always make double when doing lasagne

I know the feeling, I always end up with half a dish burnt! It was unusual to have a smaller dish but I ended up doing it that way as my bigger one has a pasta bake in it. Think I might do it like this from now on as I always make double when doing lasagne

I find it so hard to find a small dish that will fit lasagne sheets, which is why I always end up making double portion.

We went out last night, Dublin boardsies - Hanoi Hanoi on Capel Street is well worth throwing your nose around the door of. Summer rolls & sticky rice with braised pork belly for me, pork wraps (with loads of herbs, green papaya, noodles & a killer dipping sauce) followed by pho for the other side of the table. We couldn't finish our food and that's a *smidgen* on the unusual side for us, really big servings. 2 courses each & 2 beers - €39.50. Love that place!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭black_frosch

9rom7s.jpg

20rvb68.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,467 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

^ looks good, what is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

We went out last night, Dublin boardsies - Hanoi Hanoi on Capel Street is well worth throwing your nose around the door of. Summer rolls & sticky rice with braised pork belly for me, pork wraps (with loads of herbs, green papaya, noodles & a killer dipping sauce) followed by pho for the other side of the table. We couldn't finish our food and that's a *smidgen* on the unusual side for us, really big servings. 2 courses each & 2 beers - €39.50. Love that place!!

Wow. On The List.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭black_frosch

^ looks good, what is it?

Thanks, that's bacon wrapped asparagus and I've added some rhubarb, test good too!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,004 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Duck leg confit, smashed duck fat roast new potatoes, sweetheart cabbage.

nblcspC.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Sounds delish. Think it might be baby friendly? I'd have her in the sling

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement