Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Homemade pizza for the birthday girl, we had

- ham, pineapple and olives
    - Cajun chicken, peppers, onions and pineapple
    - double pepperoni, peppers and olives

Cut the cake, it was nice but I should have left it bake for another ten at a lower heat and used less icing, but it was oh so tasty

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

^^^ That cake!

Dinner was roast chicken in a light curry marinade and finished with dried porcini dust, served with steamed veg. Spuds were fresh from FIL's garden.

IMG_20150726_182949_zpsnqtd36hl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Bacon, cabbage, carrots, brussels sprouts, new potatoes and gravy for us tonight. Delish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

OMG that CAKE!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

We went out last night, Dublin boardsies - Hanoi Hanoi on Capel Street is well worth throwing your nose around the door of. Summer rolls & sticky rice with braised pork belly for me, pork wraps (with loads of herbs, green papaya, noodles & a killer dipping sauce) followed by pho for the other side of the table. We couldn't finish our food and that's a *smidgen* on the unusual side for us, really big servings. 2 courses each & 2 beers - €39.50. Love that place!!

Brilliant value. Maybe we should start a good value/meal deal thread here? I see a lot of great deals when put and about.

I haven't updated in the last couple of days because I'm basically in a protracted sugar coma as it has been my baby's birthday weekend and the house is the closest thing I've seen to one made of sweet things in Handel and Gretel. Don't get me wrong, had lots of good healthy stuff but we went a bit overboard and I've had far too much cake and cake and cake....ahem. And other VERY sweet things.

I digress. Good value. Dublin. Had a lovely dinner on Thursday evening. Went to Rolys cafe with a good pal and while I've been there lots it never fails to deliver. Three courses for €23? Don't mind if I do! Sublime chicken liver pate, then confit of duck on mash, green beans and a red wine jus that I could have drank out of a glass and then two delicious little mini desserts, I had lemon meringue and strawberry pavlova. (Disclaimer: not including wine and prosecco, but these were reasonably priced!) And its all from the same kitchen as the food upstairs so the same impeccable standards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

Went to Bouchon in Naas for a birthday! It's a little french place above a pub. Absolutely lovely. Had a tomato and roasted red pepper soup to start with Guinness bread. Followed by a roast supreme of chicken. It had little sweet potato cubes with lardons & sweet potato puree. There was a nice thyme gravy too. For dessert I a dark chocolate tart with caramel cream and salted caramel ice-cream. Can't believe it only cost 25 per person for 3 courses! That price included sparkling water and a bowl of veg in garlicky butter (new potatoes, green beans, mangetout, turnip, carrot).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Sounds delish. Think it might be baby friendly? I'd have her in the sling

I think so, it's a big room with lots of space between tables :) We ended up in an empty part to the left of the main room because they were busy so you'd definitely be able to bring baby and either sit in the main bit or off to the side if you wanted a bit more room.

We treated ourselves last night and went out to Beeftro for steaks. Had such a blah meal, super disappointing. Although if it hadn't been so expensive (we spent €140 including tip) I probably would have overlooked the niggly annoyances of a) empty restaurant but everyone who came in seated beside each other, huge pet hate of mine, b) bland bearnaise, c) crispy onion rings side dropped on table with warning of 'lads my advice to you would be to eat those while they are still very hot' which did then turn into a mass of powdery, salty onion stodge very quickly. So there you go, I'm not sure if it genuinely was bad or if because we were spending a wodge I was on red alert for things not being great. Service was friendly though. Wish Darwins had been open :( Or we had gone with my go-to steak place (for my money l'Gueleton does the best steak in Dublin)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

I think so, it's a big room with lots of space between tables :) We ended up in an empty part to the left of the main room because they were busy so you'd definitely be able to bring baby and either sit in the main bit or off to the side if you wanted a bit more room.

We treated ourselves last night and went out to Beeftro for steaks. Had such a blah meal, super disappointing. Although if it hadn't been so expensive (we spent €140 including tip) I probably would have overlooked the niggly annoyances of a) empty restaurant but everyone who came in seated beside each other, huge pet hate of mine, b) bland bearnaise, c) crispy onion rings side dropped on table with warning of 'lads my advice to you would be to eat those while they are still very hot' which did then turn into a mass of powdery, salty onion stodge very quickly. So there you go, I'm not sure if it genuinely was bad or if because we were spending a wodge I was on red alert for things not being great. Service was friendly though. Wish Darwins had been open :( Or we had gone with my go-to steak place (for my money l'Gueleton does the best steak in Dublin)

I was just looking at the deal on living social for this place this morning, think i'll give it a miss now.

Courgette & carrot noodles bolognese with romaine & radish.

IMG_20150727_180905_zps9jmmobbj.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Taboola

Using the recipe from here I made Tacos-al-Pastor.

IMG_1024_zps0t1eaqpp.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭NOS3

I went out for dinner with my Mom last night. For starters, we shared fresh mussels in a garlic butter sauce. For mains, I had spinach and ricotta tortellini in a tomato sauce with pesto and garlic bread. followed by a slice of chocolate fudge cake. It was delicious. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Had homemade pizzas go dins tonight followed with profiteroles with a Baily's choc cream

Phone died before it was ready and by the time it was 10% charged the missus and nipper had done some damage to the grub

Made some bread though one plain loaf and a olive herb and mozzarella bread

Both taste amazing dipped in a garlic infused olive oil

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

A lovely cauliflower and sweet potato curry with naan and poppadum

2iijxbk.jpg

Quack, salad and sweet potato frites.

IMG_20150728_190323_zpskygugg89.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Needed to use up eggs, so was quiche for tonight, did 2: a traditional quiche Lorraine and one with red onion, red pepper, smoked ham and mozzarella.

Forgot to take a pic until we had finished, second one left for lunch tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Virtuous post-holiday dinner of steamed hake, asparagus with parmesan and a tomato & cucumber salsa.

hake_zpsurenjiuh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Pan roast rabbit with fried gnocci and asparagus with cherry tomato and basil sauce. De-smegging-licious.

photo%204_zpsnnpgo7m9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭rosie16

A simple lunch/dinner/snack, stirfried cabbage, courgette and noodles served with cucmber in yoghurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Cooking Club Paella. Was beautiful as always, although I went a little heavy on the cayenne which was a pity because the baby wouldn't eat it because it was a bit too spicy. He did seem to love the first few spoonfuls though.

356651.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Riverireland

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Cooking Club Paella. Was beautiful as always, although I went a little heavy on the cayenne which was a pity because the baby wouldn't eat it because it was a bit too spicy. He did seem to love the first few spoonfuls though.

Loos amazing, I must try it, thanks.

• Advertisement

Cajun salmon, with spiced chickpea, spinach and feta salad from Niamh Shields book 'Comfort & Spice'. I can eat a bowl of this on its own.

IMG_20150729_183808_zpsj3jbummw.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Slow cooker chilli, sweet potato and sugar snap peas flash fried in butter.

chilli_zpstg0jhkbn.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Rogueish

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    ..... spiced chickpea, spinach and feta salad from Niamh Shields book 'Comfort & Spice'.

Could you please share this recipe. I am trying to reduce our meat consumption and increase our vegetable protein. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Homemade chicken stew. I don't like chicken stew normally but a relative asked me to make some for them so I did, and it turned out delicious.

I was surprised I liked it as chicken stew is something I can't stand usually. Being fed it 2-3 days a week as a child for years really turned me off it, until I tried it again today, still doesn't beat my lamb stew though, now that's a firm favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Made a large batch of really spicy chilli the other day & had it again today, the flavour having soaked in & become much stronger. A cherry tomato based sauce & several large scotch bonnets combined to make a wonderful smoky/sweet taste contrast. Threw in various vegetables, including aubergine which I'm not sure worked too well as the texture was a tiny bit rubbery. Still tastes phenomenal though, if I do say so myself & I'd happily sit & eat a kilo of it, even cold. Had it with basmati rice tonight but it was also great served over potato wedges.

14uc68o.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭EITS

Can we have the recipe please? :)

Rogueish wrote: »
    Could you please share this recipe. I am trying to reduce our meat consumption and increase our vegetable protein. Thank you.

I've posted it up in The Random Recipe thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

We had roasted butternut squash with a lentil and blue cheese salad. Very yum, will be making it again and hopefully then I'll get to take a picture. We were both of us too hungry for that yesterday :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Recently around this forum somewhere some savvy person recommended using canned potatoes for making a quick Spanish omelette.

Well I tried it this week and I liked it so much that I had it two nights in a row, and on the second night even fed a guest! It was absolutely delicious, extremely cheap and just as nourishing as usual. This is going in to my repertoire.

Whoever recommended this, I have searched for your post to thank you, and I can't find it. Please come forward and receive your glory!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Whoever recommended this, I have searched for your post to thank you, and I can't find it. Please come forward and receive your glory!

That was meeeee! No, no, must not steal other people's glory

Spanish Eyes is your potato hero!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement