Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Thank you Spanish Eyes! You are a spud genius. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I love that idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭rosie16

I had soup! First time ever making soup and it came out well. Taken from this recipe http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2536640/courgette-and-tomato-soup

I couldn't resist adapting it, halved the quantities and still made a lot of soup. I put lentils, garlic, black pepper, chili, curry powder, cumin seeds. Almost a curry. :pac: The lentils made it nice and filling.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,003 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

When I made the chicken and veg pie a few weeks back, one went in the freezer too.

X2LJsQC.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We had minced beef pie. I forgot to take a photo before we ate so this is what's left. It's going in the freezer once it cools, so it won't be picked at until there's almost nothing left :)

mii5u1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

I made a ham and gruyere toasted pretzel. Delicious, even if the pretzel was a bit salty.

slack_for_ios_upload_1024.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Had that Aldi spatchcock chicken (lemon & pepper) that everyone here is raving about. It's pretty good, I must say. Served with last night's leftover spiced co chickpea, spinach and feta salad, and petit pois (not in photo). Delicious all together.

IMG_20150730_195734_zpshkck7mr9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Excuse the rubbish photo, it doesn't do justice to the delicious little warm salad I did. Pan fried a gorgeous ribeye (rare) and dry roasted some baby potatoes (with a little fry light and garlic salt) and then warmed some extra virgin olive oil, added asparagus, deliciously juicy cherry tomatoes, seasoned with salt and pepper, added a little lemon juice and grated Parmesan on and it was soooooo good. Asparagus essentially raw still but warmed and full of flavour. I think it would be quite nice with a meaty white fish like halibut so will do that next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

Ended up in the Port House tonight. God I love that place. I had prawn pil pil and pork belly, my friend had sea bass and cheese and potato bravas between us. Washed down with a jug of sangria. Happy Tilly :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Good old carbonara. I forgot how filling it is, must be the eggs!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

That was meeeee! No, no, must not steal other people's glory

Spanish Eyes is your potato hero!

Thanks for reminding me about this. Will definitely try it out this weekend. Looks alot quicker than the way I did it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

Could anyone share the Feta and Chickpea salad as don't have the book?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Zelda247 wrote: »
    Could anyone share the Feta and Chickpea salad as don't have the book?

MrsFox popped it into the Random Recipes thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=96425911&postcount=159

• Registered Users Posts: 17,003 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

A Mediterranean mezze:
    Baba ganoush; hummus; tabbouleh; roast pepper, tomato and marjoram; kalamata olive. All served with wholemeal Mediterranean flat breads.
    Yum. All herbs from the garden - garlic too:D

W9LZPTI.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

What time should I come over?? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Last night was bang bang chicken, gyoza and Japanese rice. Delicious.

Tonight is lamb stew.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Omg I want a mezze now

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

Past bake.

slack_for_ios_upload_1024.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

It's batch cooking mayhem in the homemadecider household. Today I made 30 fishcakes from scratch and put them in the freezer. I kept some aside for tonight's dinner which we ate with baked chips and crushed peas with mint & cream.

IMG_20150731_190830_zps1hf1gocr.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Had that Aldi spatchcock chicken (lemon & pepper) that everyone here is raving about. It's pretty good, I must say. Served with last night's leftover spiced co chickpea, spinach and feta salad, and petit pois (not in photo). Delicious all together.

I got the spatchcock chicken from Aldi recently and, while it was very nice, I found that when I cooked it the way they recommended, in the foil container, it wasn't ready in the time they suggested at all. Eventually I had to take it out of the foil, spread it out on a roasting tray and leave it in for another fifteen minutes or so. Next time, I'll spread it out from the start - that's surely the whole point of the spatchcock idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

katydid wrote: »
    I got the spatchcock chicken from Aldi recently and, while it was very nice, I found that when I cooked it the way they recommended, in the foil container, it wasn't ready in the time they suggested at all. Eventually I had to take it out of the foil, spread it out on a roasting tray and leave it in for another fifteen minutes or so. Next time, I'll spread it out from the start - that's surely the whole point of the spatchcock idea.
    I barbecued mine and it was perfect. Can't say I really read the part of the instructions which said to leave it in the foil tray, but as you say, it kind of defeats the purpose of the spatchcocking!

katydid wrote: »

I must say I cooked it the way I'd normally cook my spatchcock chicken. I didn't like the look of the bird all cramped up in the foil so I transfered it to a roasting pan. Also, I cooked it at 200℃, and covered it with foil the first half of cooking time.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Was shopping in Dublin city centre tonight, so for a treat we went to Marco Pierre White, and availed of the early bird.

OMG so delicious

I'd the seabass with samphire (sea asparagus) and a salad which had tomtay (not sure on the spelling, think mini cherry tomatoes) tomatoes, and OH had the chicken milanese with rocket, parmesan and chips.

Both meals were utterly delicious and the service was superb.

Now can anyone tell me how to spell those tomatoes variety, and where to get those and samphire?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,467 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Friday night blow out!

Sticky chicken wings, Mediterranean Crushed Potatoes, Coleslaw, Corn on the Clobs, spinich and Red Pepper Salad and a Blue Cheese Dip.

63C008BC-9D39-4CBE-BE44-6CF34A1F3F89_zpsht8wiovi.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    I must say I cooked it the way I'd normally cook my spatchcock chicken. I didn't like the look of the bird all cramped up in the foil so I transfered it to a roasting pan. Also, I cooked it at 200℃, and covered it with foil the first half of cooking time.

I should have gone with my gut feeling, whidh said that the instructions didn't sound right...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

No pics but dinner was in pho viet this evening. Some beautiful rice/egg pancakes with prawn and pork followed by a chicken curry which tasted really like a massaman. I have to say the food was beautiful and the meats wonderful... I usually have a bugbear with bad quality/cuts of meat in some Asian food. Will definitely be going back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Chicken biryani, so quick to make too. Yum

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Dolbert wrote: »
    Chicken biryani, so quick to make too. Yum

Recipe please?

Leg of lamb, sweet potatoes, aubergine, carrots, all roasted. And petit pois. Should've taken lamb out of the oven 10 minutes earlier though.

IMG_20150731_210347_zpszgrosh61.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

We were in Newry on Monday and took the opportunity to clear Sainsbury's out of cheese and beef dripping. So tonight we had killer maris piper chips twice fried in beef dripping (loads of salt and malt vinegar) and spicy panko breaded chicken thigh goujons. A rake of chipotle mayo for me and a selection from our ridiculous sauce bar for the other side of the table.

It was epic. The Lord of the Chips.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement