Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Suckler

katydid wrote: »
    Hubby made some German Rinderschmorbraten the other night (a piece of beef cooked in a covered roasting tin, with finely diced carrots, onions and celery) with potato dumplings and red cabbage. The whole dinner came about because I brought home a jar of red cabbage from Lidl and he decided he was going to make a meal around the cabbage....

Anyway, he made too many dumplings (and they were a bit bland) so last night I sliced the remaining ones into rounds, seasoned them, and friend them. We had them with pork and apple sausages and lots of mittelscharf German mustard. Yum

Can I ask about the dumplings - Do you/your hubby put a cube of bread in the centre of the dumplings?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

katydid wrote: »

Anyway, he made too many dumplings (and they were a bit bland) so last night I sliced the remaining ones into rounds, seasoned them, and friend them. We had them with pork and apple sausages and lots of mittelscharf German mustard. Yum

That's my absolute favourite way of eating dumplings :D

Usually it's what's done with leftover dumplings in Germany, slice them and fry them in butter the next day. But when I was there last year I noticed restaurants actually offering them sliced and fried as well now. I guess people must like leftovers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

hmmmm have a craving for Sausage casserole after reading the last two pages..
    Ms Brinty working late tonight so I might see what I can do ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

- spring onions (are spring onions also called scallions or are they two different things??)

Apparently Ireland and Jamaica are the only countries that call spring onions scallions.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Apparently Ireland and Jamaica are the only countries that call spring onions scallions.
    Don't they call them that in the US, as well as "green onions"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I'll be having butter chicken. I cooked it in the slow cooker overnight and the house smelled amazing when I woke up his morning. I'll be trying my hand at fresh naan when I get home from work. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

Lamb chops with couscous salad and some tahnini sauce.
    slack_for_ios_upload_1024.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

brinty wrote: »
    hmmmm have a craving for Sausage casserole after reading the last two pages..
    Ms Brinty working late tonight so I might see what I can do ;)

I used this recipe Brinty, just ramped up heat a little and added finely diced carrots and celery after the onions to make it more hearty, dead quick and easy to make!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/great_sausage_casserole_73010

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Merkin wrote: »
    I used this recipe Brinty, just ramped up heat a little and added finely diced carrots and celery after the onions to make it more hearty, dead quick and easy to make!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/great_sausage_casserole_73010

Cheers Merkin,
    Pretty similar to what i'd use myself, the carrots and celery are always a great addition and a few mushrooms always add to the flavor.
    I've some pancetta in the fridge and will grab some good sausages and chorizo and beans on the way home, should have everything else in the presses to make that ;)

Yumm yumm, lunch for tomorrow sorted too

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭millie_moo

Looking for inspiration for chicken to have later? Will do with rice maybe but anything else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Tandoori Chicken!
    Jerk Chicken!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

One pot roast chicken breast and veggies with herbs and spices. Doesn't look fancy but it was good :)

Cooking the naan

photo%202_zpsv6fksden.jpg

Butter chicken and naan

photo%201_zpsajjl5km3.jpg

The chicken was lovely. I think I had the pan too hot for the naan and they browned before they were properly cooked. For a first attempt I'm delighted with myself and am sitting happily with a belly full of chicken and three-quarter cooked naan bread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Tried something new tonight, cola chicken with rice. So good, it's going in the regular rotation!

Edit: stuck it in the random recipe thread

518s46.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Looks great. Cooked cola ham before & found it delicious & a real crowd pleaser. Never thought of using cola with chicken though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Last night was beef and veg stir fry with brown rice. Too lazy for pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,003 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Beef cheek stewed with tomato, wine and herbs; gremolata;wet polenta;grilled aubergine.

I think that that just might be my perfect meal.

E4Y0tPx.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bigronnie9

kylith wrote: »
    Cooking the naan

Butter chicken and naan

The chicken was lovely. I think I had the pan too hot for the naan and they browned before they were properly cooked. For a first attempt I'm delighted with myself and am sitting happily with a belly full of chicken and three-quarter cooked naan bread.

any chance of this slow cooker butter chicken / naan recipe?? looks savage!

bigronnie9 wrote: »
    any chance of this slow cooker butter chicken / naan recipe?? looks savage!

Sure thing!

It's from http://www.halfbakedharvest.com/easy-healthier-crockpot-butter-chicken/ and there's a link to the naan recipe on that page too. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Suckler wrote: »
    Can I ask about the dumplings - Do you/your hubby put a cube of bread in the centre of the dumplings?
    Well, he made them, so I'm not sure, but I think he made breadcrumbs and mixed it with the potato. I'll ask..

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Shenshen wrote: »
    That's my absolute favourite way of eating dumplings :D

Usually it's what's done with leftover dumplings in Germany, slice them and fry them in butter the next day. But when I was there last year I noticed restaurants actually offering them sliced and fried as well now. I guess people must like leftovers.

I should have used butter, that would have been lush. I went the healthy route and used rapeseed oil.

Good ol' Old El Paso Enchilada beef pimped with loads of veg & beans.

IMG_20150807_180910_zpsyyqvlcpt.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

Grilled cheese with...salad.

grilled_cheese_1024.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,003 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

It's a while since I posted pics of chicken thighs!!;)

A veritable grill last night: Grilled chicken thighs, grilled (gas bbq) aubergine and courgette, grilled tomatoes, (not grilled) corn on the cob. Also, not pictured, some lemon, thyme and garlic jus/thin gravy/sauce.

6YkqSGR.jpg

Prawn pil pil on a bed of baby spinach.

^^^ Nail varnish dressing? Yum.

Roast chicken (two wings and a thigh, thank you very much), slaw, leafy bits.

IMG_20150808_194824_zps9tavfy02.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Butter chicken, served with basmati, poppadum, mango chutney and a delicious Rioja Reserva.

We've decided that Saturday will be our treat food night, so each week we'll try something tasty and be good throughout the week.

Didn't have time to make my own paste, so used pataks, but added some additional spices, garlic, ginger and corianader.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Beef and broccoli with fried rice. It's becoming one of my favourite dinners even if it is a weightwatchers recipe!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Beef and broccoli with fried rice. It's becoming one of my favourite dinners even if it is a weightwatchers recipe!

any chance of that recipe angeldelight?

• Advertisement

Haha no flies on you, Foxy :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement