Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I got home & dinner was made for me. This *never* happens, I feel like I've won a small stew lottery.

8f177634-93ac-48f3-a85b-e88893d016ab_zpse0acd697.jpg

To make things even more fabulous, today I saw a pirate made of butter at a Hospitality Expo A. Pirate. Made. of. Butter.

12b608b1-228f-45f0-8a94-82ad5b633582_zps120dc9bf.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Tonight was spatchcock chicken, roasted with three bulbs of garlic, thyme and Lardon, then drizzled red wine vinegar to finish. Served with sweet potato fries, and roast brussel sprouts. First proper food since tummy bug last weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Smeggy

Practice for my upcoming dinner party.... Happy enough, need some further tweaks and proper presentation!

Starter: Jamie Oliver fish cakes (too big)
    88FkhZ.jpg

Main: Pork belly with green veg and roast potatoes
    5rpqvw.jpg

Dessert: After Eight mint choc cake (icing too runny :()
    4SCNyk.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Some needed comfort food.

bIzeMNXl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

RasTa wrote: »
    Some needed comfort food.

Oo what kind of meatballs are they?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Porc au caramel. For the first time I got the balance of flavours just right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

fussyonion wrote: »
    Oo what kind of meatballs are they?

Just standard beef, onion, garlic, breadcrumbs, parsley and cheese

Tonight we are having lemon-y roast chicken with a salad of tomato, avocado, mozzarella with loads of olive oil a good grind of salt and a sprinkle of red wine vinegar

9736e3bc-9efe-44a5-b7a4-89e89e2b2e76_zps91dcad02.jpg

Today's wonderful sight was a canon made of chocolate

057697da-9c48-4cf6-b1df-16dab9843425_zpsa7a4da41.jpg

The smell of chocolate coming from it was really very lovely, just wanted to lep the barrier and take a bite

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Had a horrific and looong day at work so didn't have time to pick up the ingredients for the lovely marinades or vinaigrettes recommended to me in the chat thread; so I just had to go ahead and have my seabass with whatever I had in the house.

Some tenderstem broccoli, some couscous (from an Ainsley Harriot packet that was lurking in the press for at least three months!) and the fish. Salt and pepper and a glimpse of the hot chilli grinder and into the frying pan with butter.
    God, it was delicious. Beautiful crispy skin, and somehow (because I tend to be heavy-handed) the right balance of seasoning because the gorgeous flavour of the fish really came through.

It was as satisfying as any fillet steak. Thanks a million for the advice on cooking it - it's made my sh!t day melt away!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭dmc17

The smell of chocolate coming from it was really very lovely, just wanted to lep the barrier and take a bite

There's some poor chap inside in it. His head is sticking out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Pheasant biryani.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Malaysian chicken soup tonight for the sick and well. With rice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I had a really lovely beef stew with rich gravy and fresh crusty white bread - so delicious I had to bang the leftovers in the freezer straight away or I'd have had thirds and fourths no problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Homemade burgers (at least 1/2lb each!) with Lennox's chips washed down with a nice, cold beer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

Had a turkey and ham pie made from the last of the frozen leftovers of the Christmas feast. Made a lovely creamy bechamel using half milk / half chicken stock, lots of mushrooms fried golden in butter and a nice flaky pastry.

Ate it with corn on the cob.

Perfect dinner on such a cold, wet night. As I battled through the lashing rain and wind on my walk home, I was kept going with thoughts of pie! pie! pie!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

Lamb liver curry.

Hmmm, I actually think it's the ginger that's making my curry too spicy rather than the chilli powder. Or I'm undercooking the garllic...or I just don't like curries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Spicy wedges and steak for us tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

Chicken enchiladas. Bit skimpy on the cheese but otherwise good.

Last night I had an enormous portion of disappointment for dinner. A new Mexican place has opened around the corner from me and, even though it's in a student bar and even though all the reviews mention 'massive portions' and not much else, I decided to give it a whirl. Oh me oh my, bad choice.

It was much more Tex Mex than Mexican, which is ok, that's how Mexican places here tend to roll. Because I was full sure that if they didn't know what they were at all the Mole & more authentic sounding dishes on the menu would be rank I went for Chimicangas. Flabby, minuscule traces of the jalapeno salsa that was supposed to be in there, cold in the centre, covered in plastic cheese and at one stage I got a suspicious taste of mould but upon pulling it apart to see where that might be coming from I couldn't spot any & I decided I was just being insane. My margarita was about 90% syrupy margarita mix (which, I actually like. The mix that is, it just needs to be sharpened with a helluva lot of lime) and was in general just an affront to margaritas everywhere.

Was so very disappointed but I shouldn't have been, their target market are students looking for a pre Pub burrito not picky fecks hoping for carne asada

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Last night I had an enormous portion of disappointment for dinner. A new Mexican place has opened around the corner from me and, even though it's in a student bar and even though all the reviews mention 'massive portions' and not much else, I decided to give it a whirl. Oh me oh my, bad choice.

It was much more Tex Mex than Mexican, which is ok, that's how Mexican places here tend to roll. Because I was full sure that if they didn't know what they were at all the Mole & more authentic sounding dishes on the menu would be rank I went for Chimicangas. Flabby, minuscule traces of the jalapeno salsa that was supposed to be in there, cold in the centre, covered in plastic cheese and at one stage I got a suspicious taste of mould but upon pulling it apart to see where that might be coming from I couldn't spot any & I decided I was just being insane. My margarita was about 90% syrupy margarita mix (which, I actually like. The mix that is, it just needs to be sharpened with a helluva lot of lime).

Was so very disappointed but I shouldn't have been, their target market are students looking for a pre Pub burrito not picky fecks hoping for carne asada

Is that The Hungry Mexican by any chance? My housemate has been badgering me to go with her and try it for ages!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭truedoom

i had chicken curry and stir fried veg.

tayshte.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Is that The Hungry Mexican by any chance? My housemate has been badgering me to go with her and try it for ages!

Was just wondering the same thing, very very disappointing. And huge serving, to a ridiculous extent.

Was just wondering the same thing, very very disappointing. And huge serving, to a ridiculous extent.

Because I've given out about potentially tasting mould and that could all be in my head (we won't talk about the day I called a waitress over in hysterics because I thought I saw mould on my raspberry cheesecake and learned that the reason raspberry things are often coloured blue is because raspberry juice can look blue) I won't name the restaurant but if anyone wants a recommendation of where to really, really not go if you want nice Mexican food in Dublin pm me. Bleuuuurgh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

That's very fair of you Miss F :) I adore Mexican so if that were me I'd be donning my sombrero post haste and not darkening their door again. Such a disappointing let down, I feel your pain.

We had delicious chicken tandoori last night (I used deliciously plump breasts with the wing AND skin on from the butchers) with cucumber raita, lime pickle, hot mango chutney and pittas.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭fiddlechic

Baked 2 eggs and some goats cheese and spinach with a side of copious amounts of the wet bits of a chicken I poached on Sunday.
    Very nice!

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

The noro virus has been in the house so I haven't cooked a meal in over a week. Tonight though.... Tonight that is going to change. There'll be steak. There'll be creamy (yes with cream!!!) mash and there will be fried onion and mushrooms and homemade pepper sauce :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Tonight some sweet potato, striploin steak and spinach with red pepper cooked in garlic.

SAM_0843_zps5d6f0f43.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I've the same plates as you Marty!

You always put up such lovely photos-I always want to eat what you've had.
    Love the colours of the dinners you make...that steak and those sweet potatoes looks delicious :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

fussyonion wrote: »
    I've the same plates as you Marty!

You always put up such lovely photos-I always want to eat what you've had.
    Love the colours of the dinners you make...that steak and those sweet potatoes looks delicious :)

We both have impeccable taste :).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Best friend made Jamie Oliver Singapore Noodles for the celebration dinner ... Just gorgeous. Beautiful balance of lovely fresh flavours and lots of good stuff in it. She got a big hug.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement