Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bigronnie9

Made prawns pil pil last night, had it with crusty bread.

MUCH better than my last attempt, used a lot of butter this time in with the oil and a mountain of thinly sliced garlic, added some chilli flakes towards the end.

Tried convincing myself it was healthy.....probably wasn't considering all the butter/olive oil but was so worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,404 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I'm a useless cook and generally don't do more than a basic omelette or salad because I still gets meals cooked because I live at home.

This changed this weekend!my friends had been doing a come dine with me style thing where we host everyone and cook dinner.

So eventually my turn rolled around and that was Sunday night.Despite being nervous as hell and not having much experience I managed to cook successfully for 10 people!

For starter we had sweet potato and chorizo soup.

Main spaghetti and meatballs with a tomato and chilli sauce.

Desert chocolate biscuit cake with ice cream.
    Simple food but I feel so proud, it's lit a fire under me so hopefully I can keep it going and start trying out new things.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,467 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I'm a useless cook and generally don't do more than a basic omelette or salad because I still gets meals cooked because I live at home.

This changed this weekend!my friends had been doing a come dine with me style thing where we host everyone and cook dinner.

So eventually my turn rolled around and that was Sunday night.Despite being nervous as hell and not having much experience I managed to cook successfully for 10 people!

For starter we had sweet potato and chorizo soup.

Main spaghetti and meatballs with a tomato and chilli sauce.

Desert chocolate biscuit cake with ice cream.
    Simple food but I feel so proud, it's lit a fire under me so hopefully I can keep it going and start trying out new things.

Well done!

I don't there are any useless cooks, just inexperienced ones. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,003 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Grilled lamb chops and tomatoes with savoury red rice and left over onion gravy.

ykpIesr.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

Chicken stir fry in baby gem wraps.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

It's cold and wet where I am right now, so the husband requested a nice hot and spicy chilli con carne for dinner. We haven't had one in months and it really hit the spot. Big steaming bowls of rich chilli topped with jalapeños, grated cheddar and sour cream, loaded into tortilla breads. Drippy deliciousness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Roast chicken & basmati with soy sauce, sriracha and some raw veggies. Simple but tasty. And I didn't have to cook it because I won 'whose turn is it now rock/paper/scissors. Victory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Creamy pasta with chicken, bacon, peppers and cherry tomatoes. All of my meals lately are quick and easy enough to fit into baby nap times. For a few months at the start everything we ate was strictly "freezer to oven" food...!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Jamie Oliver's green tea salmon with miso veggies and coconut rice.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 onlineness

Chicken mince "bolognaise"

Terrified of the backlash this will receive after seeing some rants in this forum :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Pasta bake with peppers, carrots, sweetcorn, cauliflower and green beans, in creamy tomato and paprika sauce, topped with smoked cheese.

2957408.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

kylith wrote: »
    Jamie Oliver's green tea salmon with miso veggies and coconut rice.
    How did you do the coconut rice?

Zelda247 wrote: »
    How did you do the coconut rice?
    Pour a tin of coconut milk into a pan. Put a coconut-milk-tin full of rice in too, and a tin full of boiling water, along with half a lemon. Give it a stir and cook it for 10 minutes, giving an occasional stir, then turn it off. It should be done in another 2-5 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Pulled Pork, corn on the cob, and new potatoes with sugar snaps.

359090.JPG

Eating a lot of new potatoes lately. M&S have lovely varieties at the moment, full of flavour. I just boil them and then add S&P and chopped parsley. edit (and butter of course!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,772 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

onlineness wrote: »
    Chicken mince "bolognaise"

Terrified of the backlash this will receive after seeing some rants in this forum :)

Hi there & welcome to the forum!
    What you saw was probably a bit of mick-taking about misleading recipe titles or the like.
    We like to promote a positive spirit in this forum & refrain from dissing members' recipes.
    tHB

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Pulled Pork, corn on the cob, and new potatoes with sugar snaps.

Eating a lot of new potatoes lately. M&S have lovely varieties at the moment, full of flavour. I just boil them and then add S&P and chopped parsley.

I love their potatoes also the rest of their food, I worked in the food department at their head office in London for 9 months and saw how much effort they put into getting the products right and all the testing they do, it was amazing they really strive to get it right, its a shame they are expensive here in Ireland but I always treat myself when I can.

What you saw was probably a bit of mick-taking about misleading recipe titles or the like.
    We like to promote a positive spirit in this forum & refrain from dissing members' recipes.
    tHB

Plus, when you describe a dish as "Chicken mince "bolognaise"" we all know what that means, rather than saying, a dish made with.........'long list of ingredients similar to a regular bolognaise but instead of minced beef I have used minced chicken instead' :D

I love their potatoes also the rest of their food, I worked in the food department at their head office in London for 9 months and saw how much effort they put into getting the products right and all the testing they do, it was amazing they really strive to get it right, its a shame they are expensive here in Ireland but I always treat myself when I can.

Yeah the quality of their food is always amazing. I always try to shop smart there and buy stuff in the deals. Makes a big difference budget wise.

Some day I'll be rich enough that I can do a full weekly shop there! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭clever user name

Attempted to make some 'KFC style' chicken gravy last night. Had to throw the first batch out, just wasn't right. Second batch was lovely :) Made some mashed potatoes with it, had to mash a whole pot of them with a spoon :mad: And bought some amazing fried chicken out on the road (5 pieces for 2.50 ;) ). Was a nice change from Asian food. No pictures, sorry!

• Advertisement

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Yeah the quality of their food is always amazing. I always try to shop smart there and buy stuff in the deals. Makes a big difference budget wise.

Some day I'll be rich enough that I can do a full weekly shop there! :D
    I love their veggies; they have a much, much broader selection than most other shops in Ireland. I don't think I've ever see broad beans in a Tesco, for example (I didn't like them, but at least I had the opportunity to find out).

Today's dinner, salt and chili chicken. Tasted pretty damn good, but I deep fried the chicken about an hour before and it lost its crispiness...needs to be stir fried straight away I think.

15853503084_439df7b663_c.jpg

Pan fried ling and hake - hake from the aldi specials and the ling was given to me by a friend. The ling was so fresh and delicious, the hake wasn't too shabby either, just not as fresh. Grilled pointy peppers, mango salsa and brown Thai rice (not pictured).

RYzIjkX.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Taboola

Today's dinner, salt and chili chicken. Tasted pretty damn good, but I deep fried the chicken about an hour before and it lost its crispiness...needs to be stir fried straight away I think.

Can you post your recipe please?

Pan fried ling and hake - hake from the aldi specials and the ling was given to me by a friend. The ling was so fresh and delicious, the hake wasn't too shabby either, just not as fresh. Grilled pointy peppers, mango salsa and brown Thai rice (not pictured).

do you have the recipe on the salsa and rice?

sorry and how did you cook the fish?

The fish is just seasoned with salt and pepper and pan fried in a non stick pan with oil and butter. Only takes a few minutes.

The rice is a type of rice. It's the wholemeal version of Thai/Jasmine/Fragrant rice. Cooked plain by absorption method.

The salsa is very easy. Everything diced and combined in a bowl.
    Bunch of spring onions.
    Punnet of cherry tomatoes.
    Flesh of a mango.
    A clove of garlic (crushed)
    A chilli of your choice (finely chopped)
    Juice of a lime.
    Bunch of fresh coriander
    Half a teaspoon of sugar.
    Salt to taste.
    A dash of tequila (optional but very nice)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 onlineness

tHB

Ah I was only messing :)

In honour of Tuesday I had Tacos (can't post images yet as I'm a new user). I remember there was someone a while back who talked about Seven Lives tacos in Toronto which has been on my list for a while. I would be interested to hear their other Toronto recommendations!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Spiced leg of lamb and tzatziki featured in last weekend's Sunday Independent, and also my favourite these days, spiced chickpea, spinach and feta salad, with added roast sweet potato. Slight tweaking on tzatziki as I thought the recipe given was pretty meh. A bit of punch from red wine vinegar did it justice.

IMG_20150819_191441_zpsollmixjm.jpg

• Advertisement

Taboola wrote: »
    Can you post your recipe please?

Sure!!

For the chicken batter just mix 2 cups of flour, a pinch of garlic powder (or garlic salt), teaspoon of black pepper and a teaspoon of chicken essence. I add a bit of paprika too for color. Then dip whatever chicken you're using in egg and roll in the above mix. Deep fry until golden. Leave to the side.

Note: You can make the chicken anyway you like, with anything you like. I made a batter before which also worked well. Also, like I said in the picture post, its better to make the chicken right before your cooking everything...otherwise it loses some of its crispiness.

Slice some peppers, onion and carrot (or whatever veg you want). Fry them on a high heat with a table spoon of sesame seed oil and a tablespoon of chili oil. Then add a tablespoon of minced garlic and some ginger (fresh or powdered). Add a good dash of rice wine!

Then throw in your chicken. Mix a half a tablespoon of Chinese 5 spice, a tablespoons of salt, and half a tablespoon of cayenne pepper in a bowl. Toss it over the chicken and veg. At this point taste it...might need more salt or more chili, or even some more 5 spice. It's all about your individual taste and how much you're actually making.
    Enjoy.

Note: You can still make without some of the above. If you don't have rice wine or chili oil then don't worry, it'll still taste good. Also, I think it works better if you buy the minced garlic in the spice jar, nice small granules and its not as strong as fresh garlic. Plus I'm too lazy to finely chop it myself :pac: I don't know what they put in the one you get in the Chinese but this is close enough. If you don't like it too hot just add less fresh chili and less cayenne.

Sorry if it seems long...its actually easy to make :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement