Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

Mozzarella, basil, tomato and balsamic.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

My first foray with gluten free pasta was a success. Probably caus I couldn't taste the pasta:D Sauce could do with more cooking, but it all only took me 15 mins!

slack_for_ios_upload_1024.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Roast vegetables and egg noodles for me again tonight. Went a little too light on the spice mix but still good. Would be healthy only for all the olive oil!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

So, I haven't posted here in a while. But tonight I thought I would share this with you. I cooked this fab steak with all the trimmings and was taking a picture to send to my friend (who complained earlier that she'd F*uck all in to eat) to make her jealous. In my haste to get stuck in, I grabbed the plate forgetting how hot it was and it smashed all over the floor. Serves me right eh. So instead I had peanut butter on toast.

5F3153F5-27C5-4A21-9244-5FF00C6A3BA4_zpsqivibuzu.jpg

This went in the bin :(

Under instruction to eat extra calories in the form of carbs for a few days. So this happened....

11890333_10153676280210984_3135187459222531742_o.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Fish and chips from Dooley's chipper in Tramore, with lashings of salt and vinegar. The plan was to eat them sitting on the prom, but we had to give up and eat in the car.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Loopy wrote: »
    So, I haven't posted here in a while. But tonight I thought I would share this with you. I cooked this fab steak with all the trimmings and was taking a picture to send to my friend (who complained earlier that she'd F*uck all in to eat) to make her jealous. In my haste to get stuck in, I grabbed the plate forgetting how hot it was and it smashed all over the floor. Serves me right eh. So instead I had peanut butter on toast.

You never heard of the thirty second rule?

katydid wrote: »
    You never heard of the thirty second rule?

Yep, I'd eat out of a scabby welly but the plate smashed into smithereens & I value my teeth.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

I'm sorry for your loss :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

RIP Loopy's Beautiful Steak. You departed this world too soon.

This evening was pulled pork with macaroni & cheese and a side salad (in Pit Bros). Was pretty tasty. Free ice cream after and all.

#winning

• Advertisement

Thanks folks. It was a rough night but I got through it.
    Prayer helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

Under instruction to eat extra calories in the form of carbs for a few days. So this happened....

Looks like tomatoes and Spinach...what other ingredients besides pasta... looks like my kind of meal?

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Oh god that's so sad...I would have cried :( RIP lovely steak!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,003 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Oh god that's so sad...I would have cried :( RIP lovely steak!

I think the skin on my hands would have melted off before I'd let go of a plate with a big steak on it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Haven't been in here much lately, mainly due to boring dinners. There's a tikka massala in the slow cooker at the mo, can't wait to tuck into it later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

beertons wrote: »
    Haven't been in here much lately, mainly due to boring dinners. There's a tikka massala in the slow cooker at the mo, can't wait to tuck into it later.

Guests around so cooked two one pot specials

A slow cooked beef stew and a variation of this with a little chorizo added

http://www.rte.ie/lifestyle/food/recipes/2011/1011/2585-wild-boar-sausage-cassoulet/

Had brisket burgers last night. Cheap really fatty cut; when uncooked they look like 80% fat but an enormous amount of fat is lost in cooking. Just add some nice salt.

A dry pan to start and they cook in their own fat; from 1kg of meat I took 500ml of fat from pan.

Taste is spectacular.

Steak and spuds again with braised courgettes and a herb tomato salad.
    They were ribeys that I picked up in the reduced to clear section of Lidl (the Inisvale ones). They were among the finest steaks I've ever had.

Vrfkf14.jpg

Tonight is Hainanese Chicken Rice.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

ford2600 wrote: »

Had brisket burgers last night. Cheap really fatty cut; when uncooked they look like 80% fat but an enormous amount of fat is lost in cooking. Just add some nice salt.

A dry pan to start and they cook in their own fat; from 1kg of meat I took 500ml of fat from pan.

Taste is spectacular.

I'm very curious about this. Did you mince the brisket yourself? And, any photos? I'd love to see the before and after shots.

One last question - did you keep the fat for cooking with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

I'm very curious about this. Did you mince the brisket yourself? And, any photos? I'd love to see the before and after shots.

One last question - did you keep the fat for cooking with?

Yes but good butcher will do for you also.

No photos sorry, next time!

Just add salt and meat binds like play dough!

Kept some fat/meat juice for a beef stew and also for roasted potatoes. Henry the dog got a little also.

I also roasted some shin bones at same time and make stock with some and used some marrow on top of roast potatoes. Henry got the bones too ☺

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Picked up some stir fry pieces of Turkey in lidl this week. Haven't had a stir fry in ages but last night I got an idea of trying to make sweet and sour chicken (Turkey) from scratch, which is what I did! Sweet and sour as a kid was an uncle bens jar that even now makes me gag at the though of it!

Made everything from scratch, all gluten free and served with some egg fried rice, everyone had seconds. Turkey looks a little anaemic, didn't want to chance over cooking it while deep frying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Bastardised carbonara. Indulgent lashings of parmesan and pepper.

sOrtESy.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

A bit of cross polination tonight from two Cooking Club recipes, Pizza made with the leftover Pulled Pork. Just had it with the Mozzarella and Jalapeño. Beautiful.

360411.jpg

I loved how much the dough rose while proving. :D

360412.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

<3 that dough picture!!

Tonight I roasted boneless chicken thighs in oil/lime juice/syrup/chili powder/garlic powder/salt to be the back bone of some home made burrito bowls (as in all the contents of a burrito in a bowl rather than a tortilla). It was perfect, I did pat myself on the back a little.

nQI2C32.jpg
    Ejphoyx.jpg

Not pictured is the roasting hot chipotle salsa I made to go with.

Used short grain brown rice for the first time ever, was utterly delicious and will be making many the return visit to our table.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Low carb, spinach leaves, almonds and cod! I enjoy looking at my food more than eating though. :p

Screenshot_2015-08-28-17-26-26-087%25257E2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Dinner was salt & pepper squid, Korean fried chicken wings, pickled cucumber, kimchi, dragon rolls (recipe from Momofuku) using cheong fun noodles (couldn't find rice cake sticks). There was also some massaman curry and rice from last night.

Ssamjang - my new favourite sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

It's been awhile since I made this. Curry Addict's Chicken Biryani from the cooking club, with a little tweak and additions.

IMG_20150829_193029_zpsgl0wxzq9.jpg

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    It's been awhile since I made this. Curry Addict's Chicken Biryani from the cooking club, with a little tweak and additions.
    ]

I really love your food. We could make beautiful food together but....... but................. but.. I HATE boiled eggs.
    It's not you, it's me.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I really love your food. We could make beautiful food together but....... but................. but.. I HATE boiled eggs.
    It's not you, it's me.

I love boiled eggs but just couldn't eat them with chicken. Eggs & Chicken for me is just a no no.

I still love Mrs Fox's food though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

It's not you, it's me.

Wow double post. It MUST be you then :P
    I heart boiled eggs, especially half boiled, sprinkled with freshly ground white pepper, and a dash of soy. All mixed up and slurp! *gag alert for the beer rev

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

I had one of the Green Saffron curries, The Mild One... and I added onions, carrots and baby spinach and chicken... its was delicious!... first one of these sauces I have tried, loved it!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement