Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,003 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Wow double post. It MUST be you then :P
    I heart boiled eggs, especially half boiled, sprinkled with freshly ground white pepper, and a dash of soy. All mixed up and slurp! *gag alert for the beer rev

Strangely, I've gotten really into poached eggs of late but there's something about boiled eggs that is gag inducing for me.

Friday's Hiananese chicken rice.
    Poached chicken, chickeny rice, chilli sauce (amazing:D), spring onion sauce, sweet soy sauce, cucumber, chicken broth and some stirfried pak choi (not pictured).
    My first time doing this dish - not my last. Brought back memories of Singapore:D:D

eCMvmTj.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Strangely, I've gotten really into poached eggs of late but there's something about boiled eggs that is gag inducing for me.
    What's gag inducing for me is soft eggs. I look at all those pictures of poached eggs, and they do nothing for me. Same with boiled eggs...the thought of dipping toast into the soft centre! Yuch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

More batch cooking this weekend, I made 10 steak burgers with onion, chipotle powder, paprika, salt and pepper. Into the freezer, wee ones!

LikFUBO.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Poached chicken, chickeny rice, chilli sauce (amazing:D), spring onion sauce, sweet soy sauce, cucumber, chicken broth and some stirfried pak choi (not pictured).

Did you make the chilli sauce?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

More batch cooking this weekend, I made 10 steak burgers with onion, chipotle powder, paprika, salt and pepper. Into the freezer, wee ones!

I'm planning on doing a big batch cook this week, never thought of doing burgers, those could be very handy to have in the freezer! How will you reheat them, into the oven from frozen? Or defrost first?

I will most likely defrost first and then cook them in a frying pan. I like a bit of char on the outside of a burger!

Minder wrote: »
    Did you make the chilli sauce?

Yup.
    Pretty mild but very tasty.
    Just long red chillies, a couple of cloves of garlic, a shallot, some ginger, salt,little bit of sugar, lime juice and white wine vinegar all blitzed in the food processor.
    The skin on the chillies was kind of tough, though so we ended up seiving it after that pic was taken.

We treated ourselves to our favourite steaks for tonight's dinner - a ribeye for my husband and a fillet steak for me. Going to eat them medium rare with mashed potato, creamy pepper sauce and petit pois. I AM SO EXCITED.

Epmt3Ff.jpg?1

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Your previous batch cooking spree got me inspired Homemadecider,:) I already did portions of spagetti bolognese sauce and Jambalya in the freezer from last week and today I went out and did a huge shop, with the aim that tomorrow I'm going to be putting batch cooking Shepherds Pie, Savory Mince, Lasange, and red thai paste. I might make a start this evening on the meat mix.

Next batch cook will be meatballs, and burgers, and maybe a green thai paste too.

I also trawled through the Cooking Club for recipes and added them to my cookbook app. Lots of lovely stews and goulash recipes that I can also batch cook and have handy for the winter nights to come.

I'm feeling all productive, it must be September or something!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Getting dinner now; confit duck leg from Lidl. 25 minutes in the oven. I've made confit of duck leg from scratch, and it took all day, so it'll be interesting to see how these ones turn out.

We're having red cabbage with it. I bought the jar in Lidl, and would, in my ignorance, have just heated it up in a saucepan, but my German husband tells me I have to do is to cook it for at least an hour. And not just the cabbage. I've chopped up a red onion, sweated it down with butter, added the cabbage, some water, a chopped up apple and some cloves. And seasoning.

Bubbling away on the stove...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Home made pizza for dinner. Yum.

Made a coffee cake from a bbc good food recipe for dessert. A...er...microwave cake. http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1120665/microwave-coffee-and-walnut-cake

Guess what.

It tastes like bollox.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

My first time doing this dish - not my last. Brought back memories of Singapore:D:D

Good ol' cheeeeken rice.
    How do you make the spring onion sauce?

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Good ol' cheeeeken rice.
    How do you make the spring onion sauce?

It's just finely sliced spring onion greens, ginger, and salt with smoking hot oil poured over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

Pork sausage, peppers, mushroom and courgette pie with sweet potato and feta crust. Added some chicken stock and a load of garlic and chillies for some extra flavez.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Home made pizza for dinner. Yum.

Made a coffee cake from a bbc good food recipe for dessert. A...er...microwave cake. http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1120665/microwave-coffee-and-walnut-cake

Guess what.

It tastes like bollox.

Serves you right too :P

kylith wrote: »
    Serves you right too :P

I believe in this case I **lowers shades** got my just desserts...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Guess what.

It tastes like bollox.
    The recipe is no help.
    Transfer to a microwave-proof dish and cook on full power for 2 mins. Reduce the power to medium and cook for 2 mins.
    no mention of power/wattage, most people destroy stuff in microwaves, hence no surprise about the very bad name they get. Standard ones are far too powerful, and when set to medium they just pulse between full power and being off. I think people are still all chasing this miracle of food being cooked in seconds, and the manufacturers follow suit. If you are heating water fire ahead, if cooking food no way.

The shape and weight of the dish would be a big factor too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I've been in a bit of a fug food-wise lately but now I'm back into a normal rhythm.
    Yesterday, I made pasta with smoked salmon, cauliflower, peas and a creamy sauce, it was yum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

BBQ chicken thighs and wings. Some with jerk sauce, some with bay, thyme and salt, ssamjang sauce on the wings. Also had baked potatoes and a green salad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

I made white beans with chorizo. The beans were really squishy (Batchelors tin) which was kinda disappointing. I'd love to start from dried for more control , but i'm not that organised.

slack_for_ios_upload_1024.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We actually barbecued yesterday, for only the third time this summer. Marinated chicken breasts, corn on the cob and lots of barbecued veg because B&Q have the Weber stainless steel grill pans reduced from €27 to less than €12 and we bought one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

rubadub wrote: »
    Standard ones are far too powerful, and when set to medium they just pulse between full power and being off.
    Modern ones like my Panasonic model use modulation techniques instead to achieve power outputs below their maximum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Breakfast pasta bake! Bacon, black/white pudding in a tomato sauce, topped with lashings of cheddar

• Registered Users Posts: 31,886 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I had no idea what I was going to make for dinner this morning but Mam said there was an extra steak defrosting if I wanted it so I said ya. I'm not a huge steak fan but now I think I'm just not a fan of my Mam's steak cooking method!
    I took charge of my own steak. I chopped it up and stir fried it in some olive oil and garlic, a dash of paprika and Worcester sauce with broccoli, onion and asparagus frying with it and OMG it was beautiful! It wasn't tough and dry at all.
    I baked a sweet potato in the oven and that was just divine. I used to wrap it in foil but I just left it open this time.

11260843_10155926055155307_6463319278982815351_n.jpg?oh=96a74f27c99be38cdc0213cb1e28092c&oe=56771F78

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

I made beef fried rice.

slack_for_ios_upload.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Roast chicken, roast baby potatoes, buttery carrots. No photo because just before I went to take it I noticed a couple of enormous dog hairs on my plate. How, how, HOW did you manage that, dog? Are you shooting them out like porcupine quills now.

Made home made tortillas tonight. I was both rushed and lazy and didn't allow sufficient time for either working the dough or resting the dough so although they tasted nice the texture was a little crumbly rather than soft and chewy. I'll need a few repeats to get them just right I reckon.

Eaten with spicy pork fillet, stir fried peppers and onions, salsa, cheese and sour cream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Sausage casserole. It was lovely for a sort of autumnal evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Hake, potato cakes, roast butternut squash and peas/sweet corn

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement