Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Sorry custardpi, no food safety advice or queries.

DnfzxT1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Love my duck rare to medium rare, but cook it medium for the kids, I can't imagine eating it any more well done.

It's the reason I eat meat now, grew up in a home where meat was cremated and never ate it until I was in my 20's

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I made my favourite french-style potato salad as a side... it takes forever to make but it's worth it for a treat.

homemadecider, can you please post the recipe for your potato salad? It looks gorgeous!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

homemadecider, can you please post the recipe for your potato salad? It looks gorgeous!

No problem - it's an Ina Garten recipe from here: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/french-potato-salad-recipe.html

Ina Garten is fondly known as Fat <Mod-snip> in our house, as her food is always dripping in butter and oil and her portions are bonkers. I used her recipe as above but I cut the dressing ingredients in half and it's the perfect amount. If you watch the video of her making it she uses so much oil the spuds are practically submerged!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

It's the reason I eat meat now, grew up in a home where meat was cremated and never ate it until I was in my 20's
    One of my biggest pet hates out there. Kind of an extreme example, but I even know people who think "well done" means "cooked correctly" and that rare meat hasn't been cooked right because "weller = better".

That, and people who boil cabbage and ham/bacon. Use a frying pan and some cream/butter, and it's gorgeous... not like the mushy, warm, bird-vomit my parents and grandparents used to cook. :(

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Billy86 wrote: »
    One of my biggest pet hates out there. Kind of an extreme example, but I even know people who think "well done" means "cooked correctly" and that rare meat hasn't been cooked right because "weller = better".

That, and people who boil cabbage and ham/bacon. Use a frying pan and some cream/butter, and it's gorgeous... not like the mushy, warm, bird-vomit my parents and grandparents used to cook. :(

Boiled ham/bacon, with the cabbage throw into the water for the last half hours is GORGEOUS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

katydid wrote: »
    Boiled ham/bacon, with the cabbage throw into the water for the last half hours is GORGEOUS.

I guess I'm just not such a big fan of watery meat and limp, salty cabbage. :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

I guess I'm just not such a big fan of watery meat and limp, salty cabbage. :p
    The cabbage may be limp and salty, but it tastes gorgeous. And the meat isnt' watery, just tender and moist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Riverireland

Bet they'd be sorry they fed you at all if they read that 😂

Pork meatballs loaded with fennel, chili and garlic. Spaghetti & parmesan.

hxv4qgv.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Fennel? Interesting.

D'oh! Meant fennel seeds rather than fennel.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Still interesting. Looks lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Dinner tonight was chicken stew with boiled new potatoes.

Unreal it was. Love this season for stews. Autumn/Winter has to be my favourite time of year, for food (and Christmas!):o:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Lemon & pepper roast chicken, chickpea spinach & feta salad, and slaw.

Sorry being a pest here but I can't find the recipe for the chickpea spinach and feta salad. I know you very kindly gave it to be a little while back but despite searching I can't find it, could I please ask for it again. Many Thanks:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Zelda247 wrote: »
    Lemon & pepper roast chicken, chickpea spinach & feta salad, and slaw.

Sorry being a pest here but I can't find the recipe for the chickpea spinach and feta salad. I know you very kindly gave it to be a little while back but despite searching I can't find it, could I please ask for it again. Many Thanks:)

It's in The Random Recipe thread under Cooking Club.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=96425911&postcount=159

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Six pork and fennel meatballs... Meant to be with pasta and tomato sauce but I had to do bedtime on my own so scoffed them with Franks hot sauce and will have the rest tonight hopefully with pasta and tomato sauce

Pork meatballs loaded with fennel, chili and garlic. Spaghetti & parmesan.
    Six pork and fennel meatballs...

Our psychic connection is seriously on point this week! You wearing a black top too today? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Our psychic connection is seriously on point this week! You wearing a black top too today? :)

Ha! I'd love to say yes but am still in my pjs :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Taboola

No problem - it's an Ina Garten recipe from here: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/french-potato-salad-recipe.html

Ina Garten is fondly known as Fat <Mod-snip> in our house, as her food is always dripping in butter and oil and her portions are bonkers. I used her recipe as above but I cut the dressing ingredients in half and it's the perfect amount. If you watch the video of her making it she uses so much oil the spuds are practically submerged!

Is champagne vinegar easy to get? I've never heard of it before.

• Advertisement

Dinner tonight was chicken stew with boiled new potatoes.

Unreal it was. Love this season for stews. Autumn/Winter has to be my favourite time of year, for food (and Christmas!):o:D

Could you please share the recipe for the stew. thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Zelda247 wrote: »
    Could you please share the recipe for the stew. thanks.
    Sure, no problem. It's super basic, just takes a bit of times is all :)

1 whole medium sized chicken or several chicken pieces (you can use a larger or smaller chicken if you prefer)
    Carrots - about 6
    Potatoes - I used about 20, a mixture of sizes, you can use as many or as little as you want
    Leeks - 2
    Celery - 1 packet
    Onions - 3 or 4 (can't remember how much I used)
    Garlic - about 10 cloves
    Pearl barley - 4 large handfuls
    Mushrooms (optional)

Chop all the veg into little chunks, including the potatoes.

I boiled the whole chicken (take off the strings/twine) in water for about an hour. I then added in the vegetables and barley and let it cook away for a good hour more with the lid slightly ajar so the steam got out.

I then took the chicken only out of the pot, and stripped it from the bones before adding it all back in (bones and all, you don't have to put them in though, I do it for extra flavour) and I added in one knorr chicken stock pot and let it cook away until I was happy with it.

It's the preparation and cooking that takes the longest really, I cooked mine for a good three hours on a low-medium heat.

I didn't add anything in except the stock pot and some black pepper but you can add in what you want, I just wanted to keep it simple.

If you use mushrooms I recommend using button mushrooms and leaving them whole or you could use the medium/large mushrooms just cut into little chunks.

I got about 20-25 portions from my pot but I froze some portions of it and it freezes well, doesn't look flavour, etc.

I put in plenty of potatoes and barely as they will help to thicken the stew so I don't use extra thickening for it. You could use less spuds and barley and use a separate thickener if you prefer.

When I stripped the chicken from the bones I did discard the skin as I'm not really a fan of it (unless its crispy!) but again, you can leave it in if you prefer.

I've also used smaller chicken pieces (thighs, legs, wings etc) and had the same results, stripping it from the bones takes a bit longer though.

Hope this helps, if you've any more questions, ask away :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Did steaks on the bbq, cut them into thin strips, and put then into kebabs with carrot and lettuce. Carbs were patatas bravas. Class.

Taboola wrote: »
    Is champagne vinegar easy to get? I've never heard of it before.

I just used white wine vinegar.

Korma with fresh ling and peas, served with basmati rice.

4SV51E2.jpg?1

I've been meaning to try cauliflower 'steak' ever since someone here posted it up awhile ago.
    Loved it! Served with savoury lamb mince. Hope no one starts an argument on calling them steaks *rolling eyes.

IMG_20150909_192056_zpsvpn8z3fp.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Turkey, butterbean, and spinach soup.

photo_zpselkannig.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Mrs Fox, can I ask?
    Is the cauliflower steak simply cauliflower or is there a trick to how its cooked etc?

TIA :)

Smidge wrote: »
    Mrs Fox, can I ask?
    Is the cauliflower steak simply cauliflower or is there a trick to how its cooked etc?

TIA :)

Simply cauliflower sliced about 3/4" thick, pan fried with a tablespoon of oil on medium high heat, until you get a nice colour on both sides, roughly about 2-3 minutes each side. Then finish off in the oven at 200℃ for 20 minutes. Season to taste.

• Advertisement

I've been meaning to try cauliflower 'steak' ever since someone here posted it up awhile ago.
    Loved it! Served with savoury lamb mince. Hope no one starts an argument on calling them steaks *rolling eyes.

How did you cook the cauliflower?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement