Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,886 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Zelda247 wrote: »

How did you cook the cauliflower?

Eh, the answer is in the post right above yours!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

Mexican chicken quinoa.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

I made a lasagne, and instead of pasta, I used a large yellow courgette I have been growing for some time. Just salt, drain and put on a hot griddle to get rid of excess water.

Used onions, garlic, basil and tomatoes from the garden too, just added mince and herbs and spices and cooked the sauce right down.

for the cheese sauce, I got fat free quark, mozzarella and parmesan cheeses - grated and mixed together.

Definitely would cook it again, and loved the cheese mix, lighter than regular lasagne, but a little more water!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

A disappointing sirloin that was cooked medium well by accident. Served with roasted broccoli and sweet potato.

IMG_20150910_193718_zpsdcu20tny.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,466 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

^ Roasted broccoli. How do you roast it and what's it like?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Cuttlefish stew/"Rouille à la seiche", always a winner!

^ Roasted broccoli. How do you roast it and what's it like?

Coat florets in (coconut) oil, in the oven at 200℃ for 20 min. Very tasty. Tender like it's been steamed, with crunch from the charred bits. My girl normally eats broccoli because they're on the plate, but she really digged them roasted and asked for more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

I notice a lot of folks use coconut oil, do you think it improves the flavour?

Zelda247 wrote: »
    I notice a lot of folks use coconut oil, do you think it improves the flavour?

Only if you like the taste of coconut. The cheaper ones are so mild you won't even notice when using in roasting or frying. The more expensive ones are gorgeously coconutty if you're into it. I keep both kinds, depending on what I use them for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I bought coconut oil on a bangwagon-y whim and, weirdly, I find that squash and sweet potatoes roast more deliciously in it than in other fats I've tried. They come out much wonderfully crisp on the outside on the inside and have a great mouth feel. Now this could be my own bias because I want to justify the purchase and I'm imagining things but so far I'm impressed

Last night's dinner was cold frittata on toast with aioli and and then jollof, fried plantains and chicken at book club. Wasn't expecting a second dinner but my friend is a legend. Oh, and followed with gooey walnut brownies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,003 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Shoulder and shank of lamb stewed with North African spices orange and apricots served with roast pumpkin and courgette with sumac and tobouleh.

9HrGQ0F.jpg

ieIDDp1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Rainy, gloomy Friday at the end of a hectic week necessitated a treat for dinner. We had chilli nachos topped with melted cheddar, and guacamole and sour cream on the side.

5GqZqah.jpg?1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

Away with Ma Tilly. Had wings, chips and side salad. They were just ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'm currently making a chorizo, chickpea, cod and cavolo nero soup/stew "thing" to be served with crusty bread. It's an attempt to recreate something I had once in Northern Spain, but I'm not sure I've got it right ...

f2kos2.jpg

BTW it was great :P !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Thick, creamy chicken curry. Just what the doctor ordered tonight.

2wd13zb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Chicken korma with butternut squash thrown in for added bulk, delicious!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

Home alone for the evening so I had the oh-so-classy dinner of waffles, beans and a fried egg - beautiful! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

I've been delinquint, so here is 4 nighs of dinners:

1) Pork Satay
    2) Nachos (avacado suddenly ripened)
    3) Duck stirfry
    4) Rasher fried rice

slack_for_ios_upload_720.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Colcannon, nom.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

Chicken, wedges, apple slaw, hot sauce everywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Home alone for the evening so I had the oh-so-classy dinner of waffles, beans and a fried egg - beautiful! ;)

Fantastico! My fiancé and I call these kiddie dinners, and every once in the while, they hit the spot like nothing else on earth.

dibkins wrote: »
    I've been delinquint, so here is 4 nighs of dinners:

1) Pork Satay

What cut of pork did you use for this?

Tonight we had the Chinese hot dogs from the Cooking Club. The dough required a bit of forethought but I enjoyed the arts and crafts part of this recipe - wrapping the dough around the sausages was great fun. The dough was a little sweet and tasted great.

EgkcLd0.jpg?1

We had some dough left over so we shaped it into breadsticks and ate them dipped in various condiments. Delicious.

QPqldPm.jpg?1

Tilly wrote: »
    Away with Ma Tilly. Had wings, chips and side salad. They were just ok.

Wings are such a gamble to order out. I'm looking for buffalo wings, and sometimes they're described as such but are nothing like buffalo wings!

This was last night. I'm completely addicted to this :o

12011254_10153712134880984_1359007148199556539_n.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=51adf9f27ce49312c8fc8bb16197f42a&oe=56A55FE0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Somewhat in a happy bubble so this is what we just had:
    • Slow cooked shoulder of pork (not slow enough to be pulled but nicely roasted and 'carved' with a fork!)
    • Buttered 'new' spuds with parsley
    • Home 'slaw
    Served with a smooth Aussie Cab Sav. All good but if I say myself 'sweet hand of Jehovah' the slaw bate the living daylights out of anything I have bought before. In fairness I have tried doing this at home before but without any conviction (i.e. leaving ingredients out as I didnt have them). This time I need and aside from a bit of chopping (no blood :)) its straight forward. Corner turned!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,003 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Picked up some fillet steak on offer from Lidl, for a change - don't usually buy fillet. Sautéed potatoes. Slow roast tomatoes with garlic (both from garden). Fried courgettes. Chimichurri (going to make this again to go with a roast leg of lamb today).
    To be honest, the steak looked nicer than it was - not a bad steak but I've had better. I was also very unimpressed to open one of the packs to find it was actually 2 pieces of meat held in shape by the packaging.:mad::mad: If I buy something labelled a a steak I expect it to be a single piece.

YTgGwzW.jpg

hGtH51a.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Had a few friends round last night for a curry and Cards Against Humanity. We were a bit short on cash so we went the home-made route rather than ordering in. We had:
    • Lamb, spinach and chickpea madras
    • Paneer butter masala
    • Spiced potatoes
    • Cauliflower and onion pakoras
    • Carrot and red pepper pickles
    • Fragrant basmati
    • Poppadums and chapatis
    • Shop-bought mango chutney, chilli and lime chutney and sour cream

Sorry about the poor picture.

1z48gn8.jpg

If you look closely you can see a box of the finest chilled perry... :pac: Beers in the fridge too, and one of the guests brought a chocolate orange cake. We did our shopping in Aldi and it was seriously cheap. We were chuffed. Five happy stuffed adults and plenty of leftovers.

Yesterday we spied some lovely looking lumps of lamb in Lidl, so Sunday dinner this evening will be slow-braised lamb with mashed potato and peas. We seared the lamb in hot oil, took it out and made a nice bed of onions, carrots, garlic, fresh mint and dried rosemary.

gK4oCbO.jpg?1

We poured in a load of beef stock, put a lid on and tucked it into the oven for a couple of hours. Looking forward to a good feed later on.

NvUue22.jpg?1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Riverireland

This was last night. I'm completely addicted to this :o

Looks amazing. I can see poached eggs, avocado , toast, what other deliciousness is there please? 😊

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement