Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

MysteryEgg, do you make your own paneer?

I'd love the recipe for your paneer butter masala please!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Riverireland

Nice healthy fish meal, didn't scrimp on the butter in the mash though 😉

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Whispered wrote: »
    MysteryEgg, do you make your own paneer?

I'd love the recipe for your paneer butter masala please!

I have made paneer before, using this recipe - http://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/how-to-make-paneer-homemade-paneer/ - but it was on special in the supermarket so I just bought it this time. Although I wish I had made it, as it was slightly 'squeaky' although I would put that down to the brand.

I make the butter masala as follows (it couldn't be easier):

Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a pan on a low heat and add 3 crushed cloves of garlic and a thumb of grated ginger. Cook gently for five minutes or so. Add 1 bay leaf and some crushed curry leaves. Add 1 tsp of chilli powder and 2 tsp garam masala. Add 5 large pureed tomatoes (or passata or chopped canned tomatoes, whatever you like/have in). Season well with salt and pepper and a little sugar. Add a cup of water and simmer until the sauce begins to thicken. When you're ready to eat, stir in some cream and the paneer. Leave for 3 minutes to heat through. Serve with rice, fresh coriander and some naan or chapati for dipping. So easy and quick!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Thanks. I'm definitely going to try. Sounds great. It's one of my takeaway faves. I've never seen paneer on sale!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭black_frosch

Rice with fresh herbs and chili, basa fish, tomato, cucumber, radish, some fresh salad leaves from my backyard

1zo9ohv.jpg

155m7fl.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

Buckwheat pancakes. Nom

slack_for_ios_upload_720.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Aldi ribeyes, tenderstem broccoli, mushrooms with shallot & thyme, and cheesy garlicky dauphinoise.

awdlhs.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

FE94B5D1-AB7C-46D3-BE53-B1CB4FF8B9C5_zps6jgogctz.jpg

Ham, potato, pepper and onion hash with a fried egg and Franks hot sauce

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Ducks becoming our Sunday staple - served with butternut squash and roast baby spuds, roasted them in the duck fat

Also made a batch of potato and leek soup to use up some veg on the cusp, shocked how tasty it was! Gave some to the little-uns to taste, they loved it so soup for lunch I think

What recipe did you use for the potato and leek soup? I've never successfully made a tasty one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

What recipe did you use for the potato and leek soup? I've never successfully made a tasty one

It was very hap hazzard and sort of thrown together but simply:

1 chopped onion and 2 garlic cloves fried in tablespoon of oil. Added 10 cubed potatoes, fry for 5 mins. Added 2 chopped leeks and 4 chopped carrots. Fry for another 5 mins

Added 1 litre of vegetable stock, some chopped parsley, salt and some black pepper. Brought to boil and simmered for 30 mins until veg were just cooked. Blended through and added some more water.

Simple as that, but it really tasted great. I always find with a potato based soup salt is the key, so I wouldn't normally add salt with stock but I think this one called for it

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Roast chicken, mash, mushy peas, carrots and gravy. I mashed it all up into a dinner cake for the kids. The first time they didn't flinch at eating spuds. Looked so good, I mashed up what was on my plate too. It was allowed, my mam will never know. Fabulous.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭NOS3

Fillet steak from lidl, sauteed mushrooms and onions, peppers, mixed leaves, roasted baby potatoes and pepper sauce. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

NOS3 wrote: »
    Fillet steak from lidl, sauteed mushrooms and onions, peppers, mixed leaves, roasted baby potatoes and pepper sauce. :)
    Today seems to have been steak night. We had striploin from Lidl, with mashed potatoes, carrots and broad beans from the allotment. We had pepper sauce too, no brandy, but home-made blackberry and elderberry wine, which I'm not hugely crazy about for drinking, but is fine for cooking.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

beertons wrote: »
    Roast chicken, mash, mushy peas, carrots and gravy. I mashed it all up into a dinner cake for the kids. The first time they didn't flinch at eating spuds. Looked so good, I mashed up what was on my plate too. It was allowed, my mam will never know. Fabulous.
    Thank goodness I'm not the only one who mushes up their food.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Roast lamb hash with peas. Yummy leftovers.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

katydid wrote: »
    Thank goodness I'm not the only one who mushes up their food.

It's been years. But I think I'm going to do it every now and again now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,003 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

No pics but roast leg of lamb with garlic and rosemary, roast carrots, roast potatoes also with garlic and rosemary, minted peas, chimichurri.
    Lots of herbs and flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

I had a very lovely Sunday roast while down home with the folks for the weekend. My mom made one of my enduring favourites - glazed ham.

She boiled a lovely piece of (I think!) back bacon (the bit that rashers are sliced from!) from Aldi and then baked it with cloves and a port and brown sugar glaze. It was moist and incredibly flavoursome. Served with fried spud and onions and roasted carrots.

Dat glaze though....

Spinach and mushroom pie.

2zpi6wm.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

Ooooh that looks amazing Mystery Egg! How did you make it?

Ooooh that looks amazing Mystery Egg! How did you make it?

It's definitely a cheat's pie. :pac: This makes two pies.

Take a sheet of puff pastry and cut it into four rectangles. They must be identically-sized. Take two of your rectangles, and carefully cut out their middles, leaving a perimeter of 1.5cm or so all round the rectangles of pastry til you're left with something like this.

80891571_877bbbfe73.jpg

Discard the middle rectangles (or make dessert by filling them with nutella!). Wet the edges of the pastry and place the hollowed-out pastry pieces directly on top of the whole rectangles. Brush with beaten egg, being careful to avoid the sides, as this hinders the rising of the pastry. Bake for 15-20 minutes at 190, until risen and golden.

While it's baking, make the filling.

Slice and fry 250g mushrooms. Add 12 cubes of frozen spinach and half a pint of rich beef stock. Stir well and bring to the boil. Add 3 cloves of crushed garlic, salt and pepper and a hint of nutmeg if you have it. Lower the heat, stir in some cream and allow to reduce. Taste for seasoning.

Remove your risen pastry cases from the oven and fill with the spinach and mushroom mix. It's so delicious. We were oohing and aahing the whole time while we ate. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Beef ragu, grilled aubergine with crumbled feta.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

Beef massaman curry, leftover from Saturday nights dinner and jasmine rice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

I had a very lovely Sunday roast while down home with the folks for the weekend. My mom made one of my enduring favourites - glazed ham.

She boiled a lovely piece of (I think!) back bacon (the bit that rashers are sliced from!) from Aldi and then baked it with cloves and a port and brown sugar glaze. It was moist and incredibly flavoursome. Served with fried spud and onions and roasted carrots.

Dat glaze though....

Sounds amazing. Cloved, glazed ham is one of my favourite foods. God's food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

We were oohing and aahing the whole time while we ate. :)

Funny mental image. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

It's my husband's birthday so we had a meal of his choosing: fried chicken pizza and homemade caramel brownies #fitfam #eatclean

csBgIKPeupIY2PshQNLT3-7hFM_gLzkvoL5jaBE71_xVMhxn8oz4iTN67mg2GM7c1niD9x4J6f4Dst19Po7h5nZaI80P_JCt6rT0FgXMppf4XSGh6Mzp9rA8aJfAfvVJsgrgVzp0_g3IyugCjkAQDFRW-s1ClstHDoUW0jDF1GY0qJzhWZ9HjewvRrSnYwbFu97p4jjpeDNHRmY3AGF7jYa7ZeIQXqeu4Xtl2hu1_2vZZY8asiSjNAdU-Xqq3oT7SZVMOYEZXpcWE-ceLsyOnq1vxCZVCzE9b5DiOYkURgfU-nBMSIJPzADUX5KmVszUfnYc8OB7xQRDj9fkw7EttovCbIS-2sbMMjJPP_X2jTIrZD-lj4YFJLkwzA0-_0CBMrH8p5qlc3CHyhwUfAmh9mNm7Shyc2kiiDFjcMKM6ke9j378AIYXXj2OMLTGLWP2waxko6wkN3ONCQrqVmZmelYIDENS-tBdXo5GJP9TXoTTioZkQ7OpSEJ-fj3a0BKatwrH0-Duf2Fq8znHD0y9VgkMmzQrMFLVk83ekM4gCkG-=w562-h643-no

BdGRsn0EIKbvBe4nTSfYCYn51nnl-bOpGCOxugxetlNH5Q_xobePdtMQFCA61s7bJvQwORNUKFHhe4xoiq1XX49UPS3dV6ajGqZyk1o7byh76qlFZVKjLZSvo2E0r0-xNSq2l5zwE9bJWzGRUxoQdCvMh2QjD-7YuMR-5FoWCDwuHmS0e4vKB6bgyh_fEcqGuzAo93bOyBCUQ7XB4z1j3_Mes8sAHFehU0hCYvWcU9uIj3YHlxaB0W7GwglUVmevEj3PKjFebMPQb6EkS2VjUwhNtTXF7kuu7VZo9J1BOOAQmq88oov1km7kFwG368ziNz7dOb9KlO2uKZz3ueCYNOFzpF9kDBCjEraMOJPeJiwFA3ZaYeLv1cGsmSPF4sLyPKRityOjQTmCyZOzOTOSNs4ZyvFC2IV8sDzczhg_Dfs8QInHWSIoUp-boK2_QETqrtNG7CfZI25-chZTNOn-nTthnbmabAt1B4mRmBGT0hH697rd7V88GJyMMRzh2TpUWgfdhk9oPxUtNXIZxGxqko4k0rSw0jKy65uAaKVkGZIE=w683-h643-no

Finally we had pork and fennel meatballs in a lovely tomato sauce with fresh pasta - yum

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭NOS3

Cottage pie loaded with vegetables- the nicest one I've had in ages. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

Salad from things leftover. It was delicious! slack_for_ios_upload_720.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement