Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Chilli with brown rice, slice tomatoes, sour cream, jalapeños, avocado tossed in satsuma juice, baby spinach and a wrap.

It was like 3 dinners in one.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

We spruced up a beige dinner (frozen chicken kiev) with some fresh buttery corn on the cob, garlic roasted carrots and roast potatoes from my friend's garden. It was actually great, really hit the spot. Few Malteasers in front of the telly afterwards, too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Early dinner with Aldi's lemon & pepper spatchcocked roast chicken (€3!), steamed spuds from FIL's garden, carrots, leek, celery & petit pois, all braised together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Had shepherd's pie from Sunday's leftover roast lamb on Monday.
    Then had another one on Wednesday:D
    Still one in the freezer (it's a bit shy on potato because you never, ever have enough potato to top all your pies:mad:)

tbr....the spuds on your pie looks fab!!!
    Whats the secret please? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,003 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Smidge wrote: »
    tbr....the spuds on your pie looks fab!!!
    Whats the secret please? :)

No secret round here.
    Rice the spuds, add your s&p, butter, milk and rice again onto the pie.

• Advertisement

Have been thinking about getting a ricer actually. Worth the cupboard space?

Secret to a good mash? It can't all be about butter! What's the best potato to use?
    And if you have a bag of new white potatoes already sitting on your kitchen floor and you're craving nice mash, what's the best thing to do with them :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Good mash requires a floury spud (roosters or Maris pipers are typically considered the best). If you have "white potatoes", they're usually waxy, watery and manky, IMO. Steam the floury potatoes (or bake them if you're really patient), then rice them, add your butter, milk or cream if desired, any other seasonings you like (I enjoy thyme in mine), stir to bring it all back together and optionally rice again if it's going into the oven and you want a crispy topping.

Oh, and I use a dollop of mayonnaise instead of milk. It's incredible, but people are reluctant to try it. Mrs Fox can vouch for it.

Faith wrote: »
    Oh, and I use a dollop of mayonnaise instead of milk. It's incredible, but people are reluctant to try it. Mrs Fox can vouch for it.

Aye. Gives a lovely creamy texture and a hint of savoury. I love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Tonight was lasagne for kids and it's going be to rendang from diep for me! I cannot wait, we were out to watch the Ireland game so didn't fancy cooking, to tide us over we had amazing chunky chips with a garlic and chilli mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Tonight was lasagne for kids and it's going be to rendang from diep for me! I cannot wait, we were out to watch the Ireland game so didn't fancy cooking, to tide us over we had amazing chunky chips with a garlic and chilli mayo

So so disappointing! Arrived late and cold. Beef in the rendang was tough :( And the hubby's prawn Penang had a grand total of 4 prawns

Won't be ordering of them again in a hurry :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

So so disappointing! Arrived late and cold. Beef in the rendang was tough :( And the hubby's prawn Penang had a grand total of 4 prawns

Won't be ordering of them again in a hurry :(

Is this your husband?

the-shrimp-incident-1024.jpg

:pac:

Don't know which one you used, but I can tell you Mango Tree in Rathfarnham is very, very good - and consistent (haven't been in the area to order off them in over a year though). First time I ordered off them it was an hour late, but the manager delivered it personally, apologising profusely about the delivery guy's car breaking down, giving me the food for free (I hadn't even complained, was busy and hadn't noticed how long it had been) AND gave me four free beers plus €10 off my next order. That was the only time it ever took longer than 20-25 minutes for them to get to me - now that's good customer service!

Apparently they have other ones out in Lucan, Sandyford and Greystones too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Birthday dinner of King Do crispy duck and fried rice, with sparkling perry and Lindor chocolates for dessert. So happy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

No secret round here.
    Rice the spuds, add your s&p, butter, milk and rice again onto the pie.

Looks perfect!
    Will give it a try :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Dolbert wrote: »
    Birthday dinner of King Do crispy duck and fried rice, with sparkling perry and Lindor chocolates for dessert. So happy
    Happy birthday. Still an hour of the 19th to go

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Happy birthday Dolbert :)

We'd roast chicken with lemon and honey, accompanied by steamed baby spuds, and roast carrot/parsnip and sweet potato with gravy.

Roast chicken skin that has been covered in honey is just pure nectar :D

Happy birthday dolbert. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,772 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Happy birthday!

Home alone again, so made myself a properly spicy Pad Kra Prao with minced beef rather than sliced beef last night. I used a tip I came upon recently to make the mince extra juicy by adding soy sauce & cold beef stock beforehand, then some cornflour to bind the liquid to the meat before cooking. Worked a treat!

Had the leftovers topped with a fried egg for brekky. Awesome!

Tonight I had mash, with mayo in as suggested. Lovely. Quorn sossies, runny egg, butter beans in tomato sauce. It's proper comfort food. Delish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

On Friday night we went to my folks house for dinner. Gin and tonics were the first item up, followed by prawn cocktail with white wine, roast beef & veg with red wine, and chocolate roulade with Irish coffees. It was brilliant, exactly what I needed after a stressful week of work and I slept like a baby.

Last night we had an easy dinner of burgers from the freezer topped with caramelised red onion and cheese, with homemade spicy potato wedges on the side.

This evening we're having one of my husband's experimental dinners - steak, mushroom, garlic & onion in a red wine and cream sauce, served on polenta toasts. He's cooking now and I'm sitting on the couch watching the rugby with a drink. Win! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Stir-fry with noodles, lardons, peas, cabbage and beansprouts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Sausagey Friday. 1 bratwurst, 1 kasekrainer. Mustard, ketchup, crispy onions. Baguette 'warmed up' in the oven to the point of crackerdom. Was delightful, apart from the sawdust bread effect

0rRAvhF.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

Green Saffron Red Lentil Dal. Nomnomnom. SO much more in the freezer:D

slack_for_ios_upload_720.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

dibkins wrote: »
    Green Saffron Red Lentil Dal. Nomnomnom. SO much more in the freezer:D

I took the packet out to make some tonight... can't wait!

Yesterday, I baked two whole black sole with ginger, garlic, chilli, lime juice & soy sauce. Served with stir fried scallions & green beans & sticky rice.

Tonight with be a Massaman curry that I made yesterday while the fish were cooking.

Yesterday, I baked two whole black sole with ginger, garlic, chilli, lime juice & soy sauce. Served with stir fried scallions & green beans & sticky rice.

Tonight with be a Massaman curry that I made yesterday while the fish were cooking.

Which recipe would you be using for Massaman, if you don't mind me asking? I've only ever attempted twice; one was Rick Stein's and another from the net but I remember not being completely happy with either one.

You're giving me too much credit thinking that I may have used a proper recipe. :o

I used a tub of paste, a couple of tins of coconut milk, lime juice, kaffir lime leaves, soy sauce, ginger, garlic & chillies, some black mustard seeds, green cardamom, cumin & ground coriander. Then added browned stewing steak, chickpeas, & diced peppers, courgette & spuds. Edit: Forgot onions & fish sauce.

Massaman-style would have been a better description. :)

You're giving me too much credit thinking that I may have used a proper recipe. :o

I used a tub of paste, a couple of tins of coconut milk, lime juice, kaffir lime leaves, soy sauce, ginger, garlic & chillies, some black mustard seeds, green cardamom, cumin & ground coriander. Then added browned stewing steak, chickpeas, & diced peppers, courgette & spuds. Edit: Forgot onions & fish sauce.

Massaman-style would have been a better description. :)

I've never heard of this before but it sounds like a mash up of all my favourite flavours. I'm off to google vegetarian recipes and give it a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I've ordered a Chinese.

If we're gonna give out prizes for inauthentic dinners
    I had chinese colleagues who were saying some of the takeaway stuff here was very similar to what they get at home. IME it is greated exageratted how different it is, probably a lot by people who have never even been there. I have been over several times and they kept trying to bring me to KFC, I thought they thought I would not like the local food, but KFC is actually huge over there, and copycat fried chicken places, and outright fakes.

kfc-montage.jpg
    fake-KFC_main.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KFC_in_China
    KFC is the largest restaurant chain in China, with 4,563 outlets.[1]

According to research by Millward Brown, KFC was the most powerful foreign brand in China in 2013

Whispered wrote: »
    Our typical order is spring rolls, dry veg chow mein, chips, sweet & sour sauce.
    Most places will do a "chicken balls, sweet & sour sauce and chips/rice/noodles" as a meal. If you are already getting chips and S&S sauce it might be worth considering the chicken balls, which maybe a little more, but maybe you are not a fan. If people are not aware of this common "meal" they might be paying well over the odds. e.g. if you went into any of the various ones near me and asked in this way, "chicken balls..... chips.... can of coke....oh, and a curry sauce" you could be paying a few euro more than if you had asked for the can last.

In most chinese takeaways the "meal" only shows sweet & sour sauce, but I have never come across a place that did not substitue one of the other standard sauces for this, if its priced the same in the extras menu. I cringe when I hear people order half/small chicken balls, sauce and rice/chips/noodles. It is often cheaper to throw away the extra chicken balls if you really do not want them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Lol at some of those signs! Did you get a chance to try the Obama or Hitler chicken over there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Custardpi wrote: »
    Lol at some of those signs! Did you get a chance to try the Obama or Hitler chicken over there?
    no, don't think I would have risked a hitler bucket! Only saw a few called LFC

The takeaways like these are not particularly cheap either. Some are just attracting wealthy chinese going there for show. For the price of a starbucks coffee 3 doors down you might get a side of pork for little more in a good restaurant.

There was a bruce lee branded place too. Think there is one in dublin too.

brand_11.gif

beijing2-kung-fu-restaurant.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement