Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Cauliflower and broccoli makhani, with popadum, naan and coriander chutney

2db1g1t.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Chicken and Tarragon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

I was at a meeting in Temple Bar and it started lashing it down 5 mins before it finished. Legged it to Burdock's where I had the fresh cod and chips. Eaten there and then in the shop, leaning against that tall cupboard thing.

Looked like a drowned rat when I got home. AND mislaid my phone. Wasn't going out in that weather to look for it on the ground on the way home. Found it at lunchtime today under the table. (in fairness, kitchen is a bit messy...)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Tonight we had one our batch cooked dinners from the freezers - stew made from shredded ham, sweet potato and butter beans, served with sticky rice.

5B6sziG.jpg?1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Shenshen wrote: »
    Cauliflower and broccoli makhani, with popadum, naan and coriander chutney

I just want to put my face in that. Drool.
    Chicken and Tarragon

I love this sparse, austere description. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    I just want to put my face in that. Drool.

I love this sparse, austere description. :D

I should have said "the cooking club chicken and tarragon"! :)
    Tonight was pissaladière.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 523 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

Pulled pork burritos with chicken wings & salad. Made spiced cauliflower dip & sweet potato nacho cheese for the vegans that showed up...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Baked sweet potatoes with trout and sweetcorn, did take a picture but it looked very bland but tasted yum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

I had shin of beef (from Brady's butchers in fairview, Dublin) braised in O'Haras stout with steamed new potatoes. First time I've cooked properly in ages, it was gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Weißwurst mit Sauerkraut, Semmelknödel und Süßer Senf courtesy of Lidl :D

102jivb.jpg

I also got a chance to practice my Weißwurst peeling skills again !

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Alun wrote: »
    Weißwurst mit Sauerkraut, Semmelknödel und Süßer Senf courtesy of Lidl :D

I was debating whether or not to get the sweet mustard. Is it very sweet?

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

Was going to make risotto, but i decided to go a slightly healthier route: Grilled asparagus with tomatoes and garlic and some procuitto. Nomnom.

slack_for_ios_upload_720.jpg

Also, i ate some nachos off the table to i wouldn't spoil the photo. I had to use them up, i swear!

slack_for_ios_upload_720.jpg

katydid wrote: »
    I was debating whether or not to get the sweet mustard. Is it very sweet?
    Yes, it is quite sweet, but it's an essential accompaniment and goes quite well with the sausages .. the Weißwurst I bought came with 3 sachets in the packet, I didn't need to buy it separately.

Yes, it is quite sweet, but it's an essential accompaniment and goes quite well with the sausages .. the Weißwurst I bought came with 3 sachets in the packet, I didn't need to buy it separately.
    Ah ok. They had it in a separate jar too. Not a great fan of Weißwurst, I have to say. I don't like the texture. I prefer Bratwurst, or Bockwurst at a push.

I know all that stuff is considered very German, but I prefer the kind of German cuisine I encounter in the north east, with lots of red meat, particularly game, as well as fish and heavy sauces.

katydid wrote: »
    I know all that stuff is considered very German, but I prefer the kind of German cuisine I encounter in the north east, with lots of red meat, particularly game, as well as fish and heavy sauces.
    Not a part of Germany I'm familiar with ... I lived in Darmstadt in Hessen for a while, which borders on Nordbayern, and went there a lot, but never really ventured up north.

Not a part of Germany I'm familiar with ... I lived in Darmstadt in Hessen for a while, which borders on Nordbayern, and went there a lot, but never really ventured up north.
    Husband is from Mecklenburg, we go there to visit the Ma in Law.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Fried salmon, sticky rice and yesterday's leftover veggies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Had sort of a Mexican evening.
    Made a kind of carne asada with chicken. Had a spicy smokey mince/taco thingy.
    Had huevos rancheros on top of spicy cubed sweet potato and sides of tortillas, pico de gallo, a spicy dip and Mexican rice aswell.

Would post pics but I dont know how :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Smidge wrote: »
    Would post pics but I dont know how :o

Woohoo! potential Mexican food pics!

Few ways to do it, I use imgur so that's what I'll describe but other people do it differently. Basically pick photos you want to use, open imgur.com, upload them and copy the link in the 'Direct Link' box

gzFzSlr.png

Click on the picture button at the top of your post

DkqPSHv.png

Paste in the link to your image. And that's it really. I use Paint to crop & resize photos too, no need for anything fancy to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Chicken leg marinated in tamari, ginger and garlic, and stir fried veg.

IMG_20150922_191639_zpskc0g3453.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Working, *cough*, from home yesterday, so I was able to make roast leg of lamb with gravy, honey-glazed carrots and buttery mash. It was nice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Green saffron chicken korma. Really nice curry but wouldn't have described it as a korma in a million years!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,466 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Dolbert wrote: »
    Green saffron chicken korma. Really nice curry but wouldn't have described it as a korma in a million years!

Spicy Korma?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Spicy Korma?

Yeah it was quite spicy! Just compared to Indian restaurants kormas anyway. Very nice though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Chicken leg marinated in tamari, ginger and garlic, and stir fried veg.

How long did you marinate for and did you then roast in the oven, at what temp please and for how long?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,704 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Spicy Korma?

Spicy korma should be a thing everywhere. I'm a divil for the creamy dishes in Indians but I also love a good spice hit. Khan's Balti House in Donnybrook used to ask whether you wanted any dish on the menu mild, medium or hot. It was ace.

Anyway, back on topic, we had Buffalo chicken casserole last night, with a spinach and coriander salad and blue cheese garlic bread. It was inhaled before I even thought of taking a photo.

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Spicy korma should be a thing everywhere. I'm a divil for the creamy dishes in Indians but I also love a good spice hit. Khan's Balti House in Donnybrook used to ask whether you wanted any dish on the menu mild, medium or hot. It was ace.

This is me. I love takeaway's tikka masala but always asks for extra spicy. To my knowledge all Indian takeaways/restaurants would happily cook to your liking. Just don't go ordering Phal and expect them to tone it down to Korma level :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Dolbert wrote: »

I had the exact same reaction! I think most kormas I've ever had have been almond based rather than coconut based and the Green Saffron one had, almost, a chutney taste as well. It was still delicious but after I ate it I googled korma to see if I was wrong or they were.

I was wrong.

I make kormas quite often using recipes from a couple of books I have, and there's not a trace of coconut milk or almonds anywhere near them. Yoghurt all the way.

• Advertisement

Zelda247 wrote: »
    How long did you marinate for and did you then roast in the oven, at what temp please and for how long?

Marinate them for 8 hours in a zip loc bag.
    Arrange in a roasting pan. Cover loosely with foil, throw in preheated oven at 200℃ for 30 minutes. Take off the foil and roast for a further 15-20 minutes (the legs I had were very large so I needed 25 minutes before the juice runs clear). Put under the grill to crisp up the skin, between 3-5 minutes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement