Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭polydactyl

Haven't posted in a while but just had the best meal of my life. Ok I didn't cook it but still :)

Went to Dinner by Heston in London and it was amazing. Had the meat fruit to start, chicken with lettuce for main and the Tipsy cake for dessert. Wow!

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭clever user name

This was my dinner last night, peanut butter cheesecake :D

21797952166_5e54cc0798.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

What temp did you set the oven to? I presume you preheated it? And you then turned the oven off altogether and left the beef in there? I want to try this and am keen not to get the details wrong.

Preheat oven to 260℃. It's 5 minutes to every lb, so if 4lbs roast like mine was, roast it (don't cover with foil) for 20 minutes. Turn off the heat and leave the beef in the oven, but must importantly DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN DOOR for 2 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

Makood wrote: »
    Last night, Spud with a fried onion and chicken breast cooked in those papery things. Our own cucumbers and tomatoes with a Lidl Balsamic. Absolutely gorgeous.

Tonight-Slow cooked pork chops in a gravy (the crazy Ukrainians invention), potato and onion again and the same salad!

The lidl balsamic is with eucalyptus honey and is gorgeous, imo. Anyone tried?

How did you cook the port chops please?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I made a dead simple but very tasty dinner last night. Pan fried duck with noodles and spring onions. While duck was resting I brought three parts soy sauce to one part honey to the boil, simmered and reduced until syrupy and then poured over noodles. Garnished with coriander and sprinkled lime juice on top.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Made giant penne stuffed with 3 cheese sauce, broccoli and salmon, for mr and baby whispered. I had the same with chunks of blue cheese instead of salmon, tomato bruschetta on the side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Taboola

Still on my Mexican buzz. Tried my hand at Chicken Tinga. Served with spicy rice, homemade avocado salsa, tortillas, sour cream, avocado and topped with fresh coriander.

IMG_1735_zpspr3fjzjd.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

Prawn pil pil. These yokes are HUGE!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Pumpkin and sage risotto, with walnuts and parmesan. Pic doesn't do it justice.

spgaco.pngl

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

slack_for_ios_upload_720.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Fritatta made with sweet potato cubes, sundried tomatoes, feta cheese and olives, with a quinoa tabouleh on the side.

I wanted to take a picture, but it was gone too quickly. Utterly delicious.

Shenshen wrote: »
    Fritatta made with sweet potato cubes, sundried tomatoes, feta cheese and olives, with a quinoa tabouleh on the side.

I wanted to take a picture, but it was gone too quickly. Utterly delicious.

Sounds gorgeous. Were the sweet potatoes pre-cooked?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

katydid wrote: »
    Sounds gorgeous. Were the sweet potatoes pre-cooked?

No, I cut them into small cubes and pan-fried them before adding the rest of the fritatta mix. took about 10 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Taboola

I love saying the word tabouleh. TAAABUUULLLEEH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Taboola wrote: »
    I love saying the word tabouleh. TAAABUUULLLEEH

*Looks at screen name*
    *Looks at post*

*Looks at screen name*
    *Looks at post*

*Screen name*
    *Post*

*Screen name*
    *Post*

*Screen name*
    *Post*

Yep... story checks out, alright.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Lasagna. Good and sloppy. With a mountain of cheese in it. Aw man it was good. I am eyeing up the leftovers.

A nice salad of beetroot, red pepper, baby plum tomatoes and rocket on the side, with some crusty loaf.

polydactyl wrote: »
    Haven't posted in a while but just had the best meal of my life. Ok I didn't cook it but still :)

Went to Dinner by Heston in London and it was amazing. Had the meat fruit to start, chicken with lettuce for main and the Tipsy cake for dessert. Wow!

I first read that as dinner in Heston in London. I used to live in Heston in London, and unless you like Indian food, there's not much there eating wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Rack of Lamb, boiled spuds and baked mushrooms for me tonight.

Mmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Merkin wrote: »
    I made a dead simple but very tasty dinner last night. Pan fried duck with noodles and spring onions. While duck was resting I brought three parts soy sauce to one part honey to the boil, simmered and reduced until syrupy and then poured over noodles. Garnished with coriander and sprinkled lime juice on top.

You know, it's not really what you have ingredients-wise, it's what you do with them isn't it? That sounds amaazing and definitely something I'll try the next time I'll do noodles, thanks!

Dad came over for dinner last night. Marinaded Aldi sirloins in chopped chilli, garlic and ginger with soya and wine for 3 hours. Served with mash and a simple salad and washed down with a St. Emillion. He rang me this morning to tell me it was the best steak he's eaten in "years and years" so I was chuffed!

Loire.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

Pork mince and potato curry tonight, with boiled rice.not a pretty dish on the eye but easy to make.

garlic, ginger, chilli, red onions blitzed in blender, small drop of water and passata.

fried off then add pork mince for a few minutes. add some stock and diced potatoes, bring to boil for a minute then let simmer on low heat.

near the end i add some peas and garam masala .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

As a non fish eater, I try every now and again to eat some in the hope I'll find one I can stand to eat. Found one. Cod in a garlic and herb coating.

I know it's a lot of sweet potato, but I... I have no excuse. I'm just a pig

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I'm down in Cork for the weekend so it's hotel food for me for the next few days. Tonight is prawn cocktail, crab, and smoked salmon sandwich.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Chilli con carne loaded with pinto and kidney beans, with quinoa sour cream, fresh coriander and jalapeño.

IMG_20151002_201823_zpsx9iwqloi.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Gongoozler wrote: »
    As a non fish eater, I try every now and again to eat some in the hope I'll find one I can stand to eat. Found one. Cod in a garlic and herb coating.

I know it's a lot of sweet potato, but I... I have no excuse. I'm just a pig

And for moi, Supervalu Catch*, homemade roasties, ketchup and leftover garlic sauces from a Macaris chipper dinner I got earlier in the week. :o Doesn't look like much but was seriously good.

* own brand version of Donegal Catch :pac:

n5n80p.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭NOS3

Away with family, so we went out to dinner. For starters, chilli tiger prawns, followed by seabass with shaved fennel, grapefruit and capers. Then a honey and lemon cheesecake for dessert. It was so good. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Loire wrote: »
    You know, it's not really what you have ingredients-wise, it's what you do with them isn't it? That sounds amaazing and definitely something I'll try the next time I'll do noodles, thanks!.

I meant to say that I'd rubbed the duck breasts in Thai seven spice prior to cooking! Important element to the dish and I forgot to mention it!

Had Green Saffron Madras and I was disappointed. I LOVE their mixes but this one lacked. I have never EVER put coconut milk in a Madras and this recipe called for it and it was just counter intuitive, rightly so. It was a good dinner, don't get me wrong, but not what I'd consider a Madras.

Merkin wrote: »
    I meant to say that I'd rubbed the duck breasts in Thai seven spice prior to cooking! Important element to the dish and I forgot to mention it!

Had Green Saffron Madras and I was disappointed. I LOVE their mixes but this one lacked. I have never EVER put coconut milk in a Madras and this recipe called for it and it was just counter intuitive, rightly so. It was a good dinner, don't get me wrong, but not what I'd consider a Madras.

I've noticed they seem to recommend putting coconut milk in almost everything. Not that I mind coconut milk, but it is a bit odd. I have a Madras mix in the press and I noticed the coconut milk thing.

I had a gorgeous dahl made with red lentils and their spice mix tonight (with coconut milk...). It was lovely, but next time I'll cut down on the chilli. I added half a chilli - we grew huge ones and they are in the freezer - and it was just below borderline hot. A bit too much for hubby.

But lovely background taste. A dollop of yoghurt cooled it down a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

Ya, you gotta be really careful with the chilli in that dal!

dibkins wrote: »
    Ya, you gotta be really careful with the chilli in that dal!
    Now you tell me...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Makood

Zelda247 wrote:

Zelda247 wrote:

Sorry for the slow reply Zelda247. On holidays and just logged in. I may wait for the crazy commie to wake up andI'll ask her. Will have an answer later today.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement