Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Lime, garlic & coriander chicken thighs with short grain brown rice and avocado last night. Added in a couple of roasted jalapenos to the recipe as well, because what isn't nicer with a bit of heat to it. Nice, flavoursome and light.

PEKq53q.jpg

Which it had to be because we had these monsters for dinner on Wednesday & Thursday.

6JlyCl4.jpg

Meatball sammidges with melted, crispy provlone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

Loire wrote: »
    You know, it's not really what you have ingredients-wise, it's what you do with them isn't it? That sounds amaazing and definitely something I'll try the next time I'll do noodles, thanks!

Dad came over for dinner last night. Marinaded Aldi sirloins in chopped chilli, garlic and ginger with soya and wine for 3 hours. Served with mash and a simple salad and washed down with a St. Emillion. He rang me this morning to tell me it was the best steak he's eaten in "years and years" so I was chuffed!

Loire.

Sounds delicious... did you fry the steaks?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Clonakilty sausages, hash browns, soft white bread rolls, butter, loads of tea.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Healthy fish and chips. Hake dipped in egg and panko breadcrumbs. And home made oven chips.

It has taken me ages to get oven chips right. I think I've cracked it - a few minutes in the steamer, then tossed in oil and seasoning; forty minutes in the top of the oven at 200 degrees. They were crispy but not dried out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

A bowl of last night's chilli con carne, a dallop of sour cream, a mountain of jalapeño, Pringles to scoop, and rugby on telly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

I'm making a big roast for tonight. I've made sausagemeat stuffing with lots of buttery onions and sage, and packed it into a nice free range chicken which is now on the counter coming up to room temperature. I'll do roast potatoes, roast carrots and steamed broccoli to go with the meat - and some gravy, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

5USTLkc.jpg

Lidl Hereford flat iron steak, aldi goose fat roasties, mysterious freezer veg and pepper sauce.

Not quite in line with the thread title, as I'm only a couple of minutes after finishing :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

We had coq au riesling a la Nigella - chicken thighs, smoked bacon, mushrooms, leeks, garlic, riesling, salt, pepper, cream. A few boiled new potatoes in their skins alongside.

Have a blackberry and apple pie in the oven right now from foraged blackberries today. We got 550g. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,957 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Garlic and cheese potato gratin. That took ages. Must do the precook a bit more, I steam em after slicing first. Anyway.

And God forgive me, lasagne, and a few bits of veg. But that didn't count, ha ha, and olive oil and sea salt ciabatta in the oven for five or six minutes too. To mop it all up.

I am totally stuffed now, but it was gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

I made patatas bravas.
    slack_for_ios_upload_1024.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

The thread requesting a lentil burger recipe had reminded me that I hadn't made those in such a long time. So yesterday, it was burgers and beer :D

2mobdea.jpg

33eh3ec.jpg

The beer hasn't been photographed, it was a lovely pint of Cotton Ball Indian Summer Beer. Yum.

Lidl Hereford flat iron steak, aldi goose fat roasties, mysterious freezer veg and pepper sauce.

Are the Aldi roasties pre-prepared?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Last night we had slow roasted belly pork strips, quick cheat garlic & cheese dauphinoise and veg.

t0tfcw.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭rosie16

New favourite food! I cooked this last week and I liked it so much, I cooked it again yesterday! :cool: It's what I'd call a 'chorizo stew'. When I first made it I wanted something hearty because I was sleep deprived after stupidly staying up until 5am reading. :pac: And I also wanted to do something more challenging with the chorizo. This version has cabbage, spinach, peppers, carrots, parsnips, potatoes, onions and garlic. It also has more of a kick off it courtesy of a chili and a few spoons of sambal olek. And more for tonight om nom nom. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,003 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Confit duck leg (€3 for two in Lidl atm), crushed roast baby roosters, dressed garden herb salad, tomatoes (also from garden), cucumber.

R05jOQh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Zelda247 wrote: »

Are the Aldi roasties pre-prepared?

They're in a black 'specially selected' bag in the freezer, just need to be thrown into the oven for 35 minutes (or 50 if you want them anything near browned).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Usually when I do a roast chicken I get three nights' dinner out of it. Yesterday we ate the roasted chicken legs with stuffing, potatoes, carrots & broccoli. I then made chicken stock using the bones and skin and lots of aromatics - today's dinner was chicken noodle soup with the stock, one of the chicken breasts, carrots, mushrooms and sweetcorn.

(Tomorrow I'll used the other chicken breast in a biryani with lots of veg)

2fiLfhv.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Tonight was roast chicken breast on the bone, boiled new potatoes, veg and gravy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,003 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I had a shepherd's pie in the freezer that was a bit short on the mash so I topped the scant mash with sliced potatoes and brushed with duck fat. I served this with cavolo nero (fancy Italian kale - in Tesco atm) fried with garlic.

Dpns4aB.jpg

w7MHh5v.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭javagal

Beef and red wine pie with roasted veg and jam and cream sponge. Horrible day so just cooked!
    IMAG0507_zpsusc2p1fd.jpg
    IMAG0506_zpsoc1zlaff.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

javagal wrote: »
    Beef and red wine pie with roasted veg and jam and cream sponge. Horrible day so just cooked!

OMG! That cake!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

So no appetite at the moment thanks to another throat infection but had some cod to use up, this felt must appealing and definitely hit the spot: homemade chips, cod pieces and pea and mint puree

Have some cupcakes left over from the weekend so might indulge later, purely medicinal

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

So no appetite at the moment thanks to another throat infection

Feel better soon :)

Tonight we had home made burgers with onions and mushrooms in gravy.

8zloo7.jpg

I had some sauerkraut left over, so I made potato and sauerkraut cakes - some breadcrumbs, diced onion and an egg. We had them with ham (cooked all day in the slow cooker) and some peas. Yummy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Riverireland

Shenshen wrote: »
    The thread requesting a lentil burger recipe had reminded me that I hadn't made those in such a long time. So yesterday, it was burgers and beer :D

The beer hasn't been photographed, it was a lovely pint of Cotton Ball Indian Summer Beer. Yum.

Those burgers look amazing. Unfortunately my body cannot digest lentils... No one can be around me for about 12 hours after I eat them. 😳

Feel better soon :)

Tonight we had home made burgers with onions and mushrooms in gravy.

How did you do the onions please, they look like lovely ones my Ma used to do.

Zelda247 wrote: »

How did you do the onions please, they look like lovely ones my Ma used to do.

I sauté them gently in a little olive oil until they start to soften, then turn the heat up a bit and add a little water from time to time to cook them through without browning them. Sometimes I sprinkle on some flour, then add hot water mixed with an Oxo cube, tomato puree and Worcestershire sauce to make my own gravy. Last night I made instant Bisto gravy though.

Cooked a big piece of brisket in the slow cooker the other day; tonight I turned the leftovers into a brisket burger; slices of brisket, warmed up in the pan with barbeque sauce and fried onions, in a bun. The home made oven chips turned out delish too.

300b5w9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

I finally got to try out cauliflower 'rice'. It was much much better than I thought, I really enjoyed it. I had it with roast salmon, and roast tenderstem broccoli which I'll know next time is a no no (to roast), though the kids thought it was cool to eat burnt trees :D

IMG_20151007_195101_zpsxntbcgi8.jpg

By the way, I don't know why they're called 'rice' when they resemble more to cous cous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

I had dal and some salad.

slack_for_ios_upload_1024.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement