Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Chickpea burgers and spinach salad with a big hunk of crusty bread (which was bought with another dinner in mind but the chickpeas were soaked and needed to be used!)

1JDr81P.jpg?2

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭NOS3

I had spaghetti Bolognese with garlic bread. I forgot how filling it is. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Oven-roasted vegetables with spicy couscous, a dollop of greek yoghurt and grilled halloumi.

j817yb.jpg

It could have done with some lemon juice, but I had run out :(

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭clever user name

Chicken with black pepper sauce...and vegetables.

21848334119_21f6e15fb2_c.jpgr

• Registered Users Posts: 13,704 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Steak tacos, but the one on the plate looks fierce Spartan in the photo I took!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Cauliflower rice again. I just had to try it with curry this time, and boy! how amazing was that? Marriage made in gastroheaven. Chicken curry and slices of cucumber.

IMG_20151008_183343_zpsriwual0b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭2forjoy

Well came home to lovely cooked bacon and cabbage and now discover we have no spuds

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

Steak burrito bowl

Yesterday was grilled garlic and chilli cod pieces with salad.

Tuesday was a burger marinated in bbq sauce with sweet potato fries.

Monday was noodles with vegetables and soy sauce.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

2forjoy wrote: »
    Well came home to lovely cooked bacon and cabbage and now discover we have no spuds
    :(

Tonight we had minced beef & mushroom pie with carrot and turnip mash, and baby potatoes. I love pies - pastry makes everything taste nicer :)

2w5vmh3.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Took advantage of my fella being at the Ireland v Germany game to have a very easy, very delicious dinner of over easy fried eggs on buttery toast. Got the yolks perfect for my taste, still runny but not underdone with slight solidification around the edges, with nice firm whites. A nice pinch of salt sprinkled on top too.

2jfygsl.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

Coated some chicken breast in a mix of oats, breadcrumbs and spices with a bit of lemon zest. Baked it up with some sweet potato chips Id mic'd and fried for a bit beforehand for maximum crunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

Shenshen wrote: »
    Oven-roasted vegetables with spicy couscous, a dollop of greek yoghurt and grilled halloumi.

It could have done with some lemon juice, but I had run out :(

How did you do the veg please?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Some good eating the last two nights.

Wednesday we had a delicious cottage pie: for a nice visual effect we tried thebeerrevolu's trick of ricing the mash directly onto the meat. It looked beautiful. Some peas with lemon and butter alongside, and a bit of crusty bread.

Last night my friend came over and we enjoyed prawns with olive oil, chilli and garlic, a tomato salad and a dressed mixed leaf salad with a bit of feta and some seeds...and of course a loaf of crusty bread.

Going to need to limit the old bread intake! But it's just so good for mopping up deliciousness. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

We went out for dinner last night. Himself had a creamy chicken curry which had what seemed to be shaved ginger on top. Wafer thin slices of ginger. I'm unsure if it had been cooked or if it was thin enough to be served raw but he said it was delicious.

I had a goats cheese and beetroot salad. It was fine. Cheese was very very mild and in balls and there was a mountain of lettuce and onion with not enough tomato and beetroot. The dressing however was delicious. I thought the menu promised walnuts but there wasn't one on the plate, so I either read that wrong or they forgot to include.

Followed it by an eaton mess. Which I thought was meringue, berries, cream, that the meringue and berries are the star of the show. This was a tall coffee cup of ice cream, cream, berries and a negligible bit of meringue. I'm going to make my own soon I think as I was very disappointed.

So all in all. Food looked fab, had a few nice touches but wasn't amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,704 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

My sister had been out for lunch and didn't want dinner so I made myself a Reuben sandwich and had it with a few frozen patatas bravas that were in the freezer. Not in any way what I would consider cooking but it was freakin' awesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,772 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Zelda247 wrote: »

I could be wrong, but they were probably done in the usual way by preparing chunks of similar size, coating lightly in oil & roasting in an oven for 30-40 mins depending on how well done you like them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

I could be wrong, but they were probably done in the usual way by preparing chunks of similar size, coating lightly in oil & roasting in an oven for 30-40 mins depending on how well done you like them.

thanks, just wondered what veg was used?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Zelda247 wrote: »

The lazy way :D

I used veg I had in the fridge, so ended up with courgette, mushrooms, butternut squash, peppers, onion, garlic, cauliflower and broccoli.

I cut everything into nice chunks, got a few sprigs of rosemary and majoram from the garden, placed them on a baking try and piled the veg (minus the cauliflower and broccoli) on top. Drizzled with olive oil and put in the oven for 15/20 minutes. About half-way through that time, boil the cauliflower and broccoli in salted water for about 5 minutes, then add it to the veg on the roasting tray. I added about 1 tsp of ras-el-hanout at that point, and one of paprika.

Put it back in the oven on really high heat to get them to brown nicely, then mixed them with the couscous I had made, and stirred through a bit of harissa.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

Noodles with veg again but threw in some red curry paste and a bit of coconut milk.

Delicious

• Registered Users Posts: 15,957 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Well I went to San Lorenzos in Georges Street with my brother and sister for our monthly meet up. It was my turn to pick the venue.

OMG. I thought it was great! I had the tuna and sweet potato dish, cooked to perfection, pink in the middle and the sauces were divine. Sis had chicken dish with mushrooms and cream sauce, brother had steak.

Oh and we had starters too, duck liver parfait, bruschetta, and a mozarella dish with squash. We always share our starter, and they were all very good.

Stuffed we were. And ahem, two bottles of a decent red can't remember the name, and then off to the Stag's Head for a digestif!

• Advertisement

Shenshen wrote: »
    The lazy way :D

I used veg I had in the fridge, so ended up with courgette, mushrooms, butternut squash, peppers, onion, garlic, cauliflower and broccoli.

I cut everything into nice chunks, got a few sprigs of rosemary and majoram from the garden, placed them on a baking try and piled the veg (minus the cauliflower and broccoli) on top. Drizzled with olive oil and put in the oven for 15/20 minutes. About half-way through that time, boil the cauliflower and broccoli in salted water for about 5 minutes, then add it to the veg on the roasting tray. I added about 1 tsp of ras-el-hanout at that point, and one of paprika.

Put it back in the oven on really high heat to get them to brown nicely, then mixed them with the couscous I had made, and stirred through a bit of harissa.

I like the sound of that, must do it soon! Thanks. Sounds great.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

I like the sound of that, must do it soon! Thanks. Sounds great.

When I bake a big tray of veg I use it for different things. With couscous like this recipe, but I also add a tin of tomatoes and some vegetable stock, and cook it down to a nice sauce, which I used to make a veggie lasagne.

katydid wrote: »
    When I bake a big tray of veg I use it for different things. With couscous like this recipe, but I also add a tin of tomatoes and some vegetable stock, and cook it down to a nice sauce, which I used to make a veggie lasagne.

I take it that to make the sauce you roast the veg first and then put it in a pot and cook it down? Sorry if my question is daft!

I take it that to make the sauce you roast the veg first and then put it in a pot and cook it down? Sorry if my question is daft!
    No, not daft. Sorry, I should have been clearer. Yes, I bake the veg, then mix it with a tin of tomatoes, some stock (oh, and some tomato purée) and cook it down to a sauce. I can use the sauce for a veggie lasagne, or add some kidney beans and some chilli, and voila, veggie chilli!

No, not daft. Sorry, I should have been clearer. Yes, I bake the veg, then mix it with a tin of tomatoes, some stock (oh, and some tomato purée) and cook it down to a sauce. I can use the sauce for a veggie lasagne, or add some kidney beans and some chilli, and voila, veggie chilli!

In a pot on the stove :D

Sounds great. Will do it when I have loads of bits of veg. Great idea.

In a pot on the stove :D

Sounds great. Will do it when I have loads of bits of veg. Great idea.

Yep, in a pot on the stove. Sorry...:P

I generally bake the veggies quite chunky or they will shrivel and dry too much, and then cut them smaller, peel the skins off the peppers if possible. A messy job...

The only thing I wonder is Shenshen's cooking his veg in about 15 to 20 mins. Mine take about 45 minutes. Maybe if I cut them smaller...

Yep, in a pot on the stove. Sorry...:P

I generally bake the veggies quite chunky or they will shrivel and dry too much, and then cut them smaller, peel the skins off the peppers if possible. A messy job...

The only thing I wonder is Shenshen's cooking his veg in about 15 to 20 mins. Mine take about 45 minutes. Maybe if I cut them smaller...

I think it depends on the type of veg re cooking time. I always stick spuds parsnips and carrotts in the micro (OMG) for a couple of minutes before roasting. The rest, peppers, onions and so on will do fine.

But like yourself, at least 30 to 40 minutes to get them caramelized nicely!

Thanks for your suggestion of making a veggie sauce with the leftovers!

I think it depends on the type of veg re cooking time. I always stick spuds parsnips and carrotts in the micro (OMG) for a couple of minutes before roasting. The rest, peppers, onions and so on will do fine.

But like yourself, at least 30 to 40 minutes to get them caramelized nicely!

Thanks for your suggestion of making a veggie sauce with the leftovers!

Microwave is a great idea. I steam potatoes, carrots and parsnips for five minutes or so before roasting, but I never thought of microwaving. Much less hassle and more economical.

Microwave is a great idea. I steam potatoes, carrots and parsnips for five minutes or so before roasting, but I never thought of microwaving. Much less hassle and more economical.

And no pots to wash either!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I made a chicken and mushroom risotto which I thought was lovely. My dining companion said that while I made a lovely risotto it was 'ruined by that stuff in it'. "That stuff" being a little thyme. Honestly, I could have a Michelin starred chef in the kitchen and The Mammy would find something wrong with it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement