Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭genuine leather

I picked up a couple of beef cheeks on an absolute whim and because I had a half day today I made barbacoa, served with esquites, salsa & soft tacos. Barbacoa could have done with a little more time in the oven to be very honest (bless me father, for I have sinned, I was too hungry to wait the requisite amount of time for my dinner to be done), it was still lovely and unctuous but it wasn't at optimum falling apart levels. The esquites however <makes scary, predatory, back of throat growling noise), corn that had caught slightly on a very hot pan mixed with feta, parmesan (not exactly esquites kosher but I wanted mine very cheesy), coriander, cream, chili & lime. SO good. I'll be eating it by the carbiner full for the forseeable

<mod snip>

Food poetry....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Roast chicken with lemon & lemon thyme. I served the breast meat on a pile of wet polenta flavoured with roast garlic and pecorino. Dressed with a tomato sauce with more garlic and a little basil.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I had penne with a very very spicy arrabiata sauce and parmesan - delicious!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

My frozen scallops

Ohh, that looks soo yummy ;):)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Loire wrote: »
    Ohh, that looks soo yummy ;):)

It was such a treat after an 11-hour day at work!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I made prawn and chorizo jambalaya. It was lovely, well according to the OH and the baby. I couldn't taste anything because of a cold! :( Such a pity, already it was hard to get enthusiastic enough to make dinner in the last few days and then not be able to enjoy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Trying out Minder's Beef Rendang this evening. Yum.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭fiddlechic

Had half hour free before an appointment, so went for a cup of coffee in Paris Bakery - initial plan was one of their tiny buns with the coffee - but was completely tempted had their lemon meringue pie (why I expected myself to resist I don't know!) - and had it. Not as good as previous, but still head and shoulders above other Dublin lemon meringue pies!
    Having had my dessert pre dinner, I came home and enjoyed an egg baked in an avocado with a sprinkle of cayenne on a big chunk of Arun sourdough bread [toasted from freezer]. It's a bit of a pinterest cliche at this point, but it was actually quite nice. I had a medium egg, and what I thought was a biggish avocado, but had a lot of egg overspill!

Chicken salad with soft boiled eggs, fried polenta wedges and pangratatta.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Minder wrote: »
    Chicken salad with soft boiled eggs, fried polenta wedges and pangratatta.

Pangrawhawhat?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭newdigi

very simple prawn stir fry with thin slices of ginger, lots of garlic, onions, carrot and green pepper with fine noodles and soy

it was very quick to cook and so tasty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

Macaroni and cheese with a crispy parmesan topping.

The trick was using a really good cheddar with a high fat content in the sauce. It was so silky.

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Pangrawhawhat?

Fried breadcrumbs. Use larger breadcrumbs from rustic breads. Fry in a little olive oil until golden. Garlic gives a lovely aroma. You can also add pinenuts, chopped chestnuts, or large handfuls of chopped fresh herbs. Great way to add a crunch to salads or pasta dishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭rosie16

Kept it simple and tasty tonight, tomato sauce from scratch, pasta and a fried egg. :D ps cheese of course!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Still revelling in how awesome the camera for my Samsung Note 3 is. The other night I got some steak on the cheap, along with some sweet potatoes I made into chips, asparagus, carrots, mushrooms and pepper sauce.

Camera_ZOOM_20140209215251012.jpg

Camera_ZOOM_20140209215516192.jpg

Camera_ZOOM_20140209215356022.jpg

And the next day used some of those '10 minute in the oven' mini baguettes to make into sandwiches with the remaining chips.

Camera_ZOOM_20140207230055473.jpg

Camera_ZOOM_20140207230025347.jpg

And also made some chocolate chi[ cheesecake brownie bread for after. The hints of cheesecake flavour come through, but I'm still trying to figure out how to make it marble correctly (and the chocolate chips fell to the bottom and burned a little). :/

Camera_ZOOM_20140209215537938.jpg

Camera_ZOOM_20140209231440954.jpg

Homemade brownie mix with milk chocolate instead of dark... *drool*

Camera_ZOOM_20140209195454429.jpg

God bless you, Galaxy Note!! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Cottage pie for me, lamb balti for himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Striploin steak with a nice amount of delicious fat, some chunky chips and a huge salad sprinkled in Stilton, mmmmm!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

More cheesy corn & some carnitas with a little salsa

e2ff1854-25b8-4d59-8b00-0bf7f632d4a3_zpse1e3a3d1.jpg

Pity effing mouth ulcers made every bite feel like a hair straighteners to the palate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

On Sunday we had stuffed chicken breast-on-the-bone, mashed potatoes (which were a little overcooked and watery), croquette potatoes, roast spuds, Yorkshire pud, carrots, peas and gravy.
    I love my Sunday roast and I enjoyed every mouthful :)

zu1iyo.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Last night we had Frank's Redhot chicken wings...by God I'm addicted to Frank's!

2qukjuw.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Billy86 wrote: »
    And also made some chocolate chi[ cheesecake brownie bread for after. The hints of cheesecake flavour come through, but I'm still trying to figure out how to make it marble correctly (and the chocolate chips fell to the bottom and burned a little). :/

Homemade brownie mix with milk chocolate instead of dark... *drool*

I don't know if this works for chocolate chips, but my granny always swore by rolling sultanas etc in flour before adding them to a cake mixture to keep them from sinking, and she used to win first prize at shows for her baking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

Billy86 wrote: »

Any chance of a recipe for this, looks fantastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

fussyonion wrote: »
    On Sunday we had stuffed chicken breast-on-the-bone, mashed potatoes (which were a little overcooked and watery), croquette potatoes, roast spuds, Yorkshire pud, carrots, peas and gravy.
    I love my Sunday roast and I enjoyed every mouthful :)

I love those old fashioned potato scoopers ! Have seen one in donkeys years !

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭5unflower

Had a good run of tasty, fairly healthy and economical dinners the last few days:
    Saturday we had shepherds pie, with some of the mince replaced with more carrots, turnips and a few lentils, topped with sweet potato mash.

Sunday was a chicken and leek pie, with leftovers for a quick Monday night dinner.

And last night's dinner was a veggie bake from whatever was left in the veg drawer in the fridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

I'm having lemon cheesecake for dinner. I'm not even sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

Good old fashioned mince and spuds here.

And a glass of wine just cos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Tonight we are having grilled bacon, grilled tomatoes, garlic mushrooms, scrambled eggs and toast.

All need to be used up and I'm fed up of our regular dinners so wanted something different for a change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Prawn chow mein tonight.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement