Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

We haven't had a Sunday Dinner (capital S, capital D) for a while so we remedied that today. Found a collar joint of pork in Tesco, never cooked that before and it was a tenner for 2kg, so stuffed it full of Bazmo's sausage stuffing, trussed it up and slow roasted it in cider. Then beef dripping roasties, roast carrots and creamed spinach. I am in pain. Happy, happy overstuffed pain.

Where did you get the beef dripping? Did you make it yourself? If so, how did you do it and how long did it keep? Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

We go up to Sainsburys every so often and pick up beef dripping there, T. The current batch we've had for about a month and a half. You can get it in Avoca as well, from Jame's Whelan butchers, if you have one handy to you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

I seared the fat til it was golden, then gave them 30 seconds a side, wrapped them up in tinfoil and set aside in a warm place.

30 seconds only. :eek: Were they thin?

I overdid my lamb loin chops a bit. :( They were on the bone which always throws me a bit when it comes to timings.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Korma: chicken, cauliflower, chickpea. And homemade flatbreads. Tasty tasty.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Tonight we had roast chicken, stuffing, hasselback potatoes, shredded cabbage and gravy. No mash here either. Forgot to take a photo until it was half eaten and messy, which was a pity because I was dying to show off my beautiful hasselbacks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,957 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Had a cottage pie in the freezer, so naturally I defrosted it! It was just the meat bit, made the spud topping separately today, in time for the rugby match. Lashed loads of cheese ( mature cheddar and the remains of a bit of parmesan) on top. Buttered carrotts, marrowfat peas, roasties that I had half prepared and frozen.

OMG it was so good. We are stuffed to the gills. It's Autumn now, so we are allowed comfort food for the gods.

Is that OK? lol

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I had a bit of time yesterday, so decided to make some marinated tofu, and a teriyaki vegetables and cashew nut stir fry to go with.

2ep7oes.jpg

And some fresh, warm, soft cinnamon buns for dessert

351wmxf.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,772 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Friday night was the usual pizza night in the Billy household. So, not being a pizza fan I had the usual conundrum - what can I make for myself that's nice, quick & tasty?

I got home from work - the pizzas were going in the oven & HB Jr II piped up -"Hey Dad, what are you having for dins?"
    "I'm having chilli beef ramen noodle soup."
    Well, there was uproar!
    "Ah, Dad - we'd love that. But it's pizza night. Can you make the soup tomorrow instead?! Please, please, pretty please!"

So, at the end of a hard week at work, yours truly ended up having a ham & cheese toastie for dinner on Friday. The soup on Saturday was fabulous though!

Roast chicken & all the trimmings yesterday, & I have a pot of fragrant, herby soup made from the leftovers (chicken, roasted veg, stuffing & gravy) ready for dinner this evening with a few buttery crusty rolls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭NormalBob Ubiquitypants

*wants to go to HB's house for all of the meals being served.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,278 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Everybody in this forum is such a good cook!! Except me.... :( I have no imagination lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,772 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

leahyl wrote: »
    Everybody in this forum is such a good cook!! Except me.... :( I have no imagination lol

Would you go on outta that! Sure isn't that why we have The Cooking Club? And I spent ages (ok, a coupe of hours) putting them all into nice neat categories for easy look-up. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

leahyl wrote: »

Hi 0/

Terrible cook. As for baking. Even worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Lamb stew for us tonight.

It has been simmering on the hob for a while now, the kitchen smells delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭KatW4

leahyl wrote:
    Everybody in this forum is such a good cook!! Except me.... I have no imagination lol

Me too. I just love reading about everyones dinner is and salvating while I eat the same thing again :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Would you go on outta that! Sure isn't that why we have The Cooking Club? And I spent ages (ok, a coupe of hours) putting them all into nice neat categories for easy look-up. :)

Thanks be to God you brought this up. Would you also kindly update this year's cooking club? I was too afraid to ask before :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Tonight we had jerk chicken drumsticks and sticky rice mixed with onion, mushroom and sweetcorn. We may have had cheesecake for afters.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,001 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Gregan's Castle dinner for us tonight.
    Pretty excited!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Thanks be to God you brought this up. Would you also kindly update this year's cooking club? I was too afraid to ask before :p

This one is my fault! I have a half completed spreadsheet & I will get it sorted tonight or tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Made a moreish fish pie this evening. Served with lots of brocolli and it means tomorrow's dinner is sorted. Yay.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,957 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Merkin wrote: »
    Made a moreish fish pie this evening. Served with lots of brocolli and it means tomorrow's dinner is sorted. Yay.

That looks absolutely divine. Any invites to yours :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

That looks absolutely divine. Any invites to yours :D

Any time! Considering I cook such gargantuan portions there's probably enough for everyone in the thread :o

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    30 seconds only. :eek: Were they thin?

I overdid my lamb loin chops a bit. :( They were on the bone which always throws me a bit when it comes to timings.

They were fairly standard, just the little loin chops, bone on. But the fat had been well and truly crisped, 30 seconds was all they needed. After sitting in a warm place and then going back in the pan for a good coating of the port sauce, they were barely medium - approaching well done I'd say!

Beige dinner tonight, with a hint of green. Chicken kiev, veggie quarter pounder (the kind with mashed veg wrapped in breadcrumbs) and two kinds of peas - sugar snap and petit pois. Was lovely actually. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Merkin that looks so good!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

Lamb stew for us tonight.

It has been simmering on the hob for a while now, the kitchen smells delicious.

On the subject of Lamb stew ... do you cook with the spuds in? I usually do mine in the slow cooker with the spuds in but when I reheated the 2nd portion from frozen last time the spuds tasted a bit awful not sure why that was... or all in all do people think its better to cook a stew the old fashioned way in the pot for a couple of hours on low?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Taboola

Bit of a random one last night. I made potato gratin the night before so had that with grilled pork chops seasoned with salt/pepper and picked up this bag of frozen veg with green curry sauce in Tesco to try.

pork_zps7uhziwzo.jpg

I've two pork chops left over for tonight. Any suggestions what I should do with them/have with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,278 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Would be a Michelin starred chef if I had a place of my own tHB ;) Too difficult when I live with the rents :(

Anyway, I will keep gathering all the cookbooks for future:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭javagal

Big giant Tuesday roast(only roasties here, mash sucks!)
    Cannot move

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Zelda247 wrote: »
    On the subject of Lamb stew ... do you cook with the spuds in? I usually do mine in the slow cooker with the spuds in but when I reheated the 2nd portion from frozen last time the spuds tasted a bit awful not sure why that was... or all in all do people think its better to cook a stew the old fashioned way in the pot for a couple of hours on low?
    I have done lamb stew in the slow cooker once and wasn't a fan of it.

I much prefer it simmered on the hob for maybe 3-4 hours. Much nicer.

I also cook it with spuds in, however, I don't recommend reheating the spuds because they are kinda soggy and just not that nice.

If reheating the stew I would definitely boil fresh potatoes for it, and when they are cooked, I would then dry them out (either in the oven or on the hob) and then once dried, I peel and slice them, and then put them into the stew while it is reheating and it is much nicer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

Monday roast is the new Sunday roast! (We also had a roast on Sunday, but that's beside the point :P ) Last night was roast lamb, gravy from the juices, mint jelly, baked baby potatoes, carrots and peas. Twas only gorgeous.
    Might go out for dinner tonight, keep the extravagance going. (And I've got Dunnes sausage rolls in the fridge for when the wheels eventually come off the extravagance train!) :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Cottage pie tonight, served with sweetcorn as there were no peas in the freezer! No pics as it wasn't pretty but delicious

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement