Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

I'm currently in poverty week. So making as mamy meals as cheap and cheerful as possible.

Monday

Chicken curry with veg. Made with coconut milk and curry powder. Made enough for dinner and 2 lunches.

Today
    Noodles with veg.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

I finally remembered to take a photo. But I have a new phone and haven't gotten the hang of it yet, so it automatically used the flash which, ironically, produced a darker photo.

Anyway, it was coq au riesling with roasted baby potatoes, and it was amazing.

not5xg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,772 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Boiled & baked ham, mashed Rush Queens, buttered asparagus & a big dollop of Colman's mustard for dins.

The back yard being covered is spots of purple bird s**t the past couple of days was a good indication that the blackberries around here are good & ripe. So Mrs B & HB Jr II went a-pickin' this afternoon & we'll have Blackberry Crumble & custard for dessert.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Shakshuka (eggs cooked in tomatoes) with chorizo, spinach, and feta, served with flatbread which I've almost perfected. Super tasty.

photo%201_zps6qkbny3j.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Taboola

Can you post your recipe please kylith?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Another dinner, another crap photo.Fried pork fillet medallions in honey mustard sauce with mash and peas. My fella said it's the best thing I've ever cooked for him. :o

vopzs2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

Anyway, it was coq au riesling with roasted baby potatoes, and it was amazing.

Oooh recipe please? :)

Taboola wrote: »
    Can you post your recipe please kylith?

Sure thing! Here is the basic shakshuka recipe, I just added chopped spinach, feta and chorizo while it was simmering. This is the flatbread recipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Oh sounds good. I've always called eggs in tomatoes huevos rancheros (sp?). Very handy for a quick meal. I like it on grilled garlic aubergine with feta on top. Doesn't look nearly as good when I do it as it does in your pic though!!

Whispered wrote: »
    Oh sounds good. I've always called eggs in tomatoes huevos rancheros (sp?). Very handy for a quick meal. I like it on grilled garlic aubergine with feta on top. Doesn't look nearly as good when I do it as it does in your pic though!!

I'll try it that way in future, I think. I've always been wary of huevos rancheros because of the spice level. I just followed a tip for photography I saw on here: get as close to the food as you can :D!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Simple risotto with mushrooms, peas and blue cheese. Warming and filling, just right after a long swim :)

1szbbr.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

I have done lamb stew in the slow cooker once and wasn't a fan of it.

I much prefer it simmered on the hob for maybe 3-4 hours. Much nicer.

I also cook it with spuds in, however, I don't recommend reheating the spuds because they are kinda soggy and just not that nice.

If reheating the stew I would definitely boil fresh potatoes for it, and when they are cooked, I would then dry them out (either in the oven or on the hob) and then once dried, I peel and slice them, and then put them into the stew while it is reheating and it is much nicer.

What you are saying makes absolute sense. I am going to cook on hob next time on very low heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭clever user name

Spaghetti carbonara, one of my favourites!

22162523515_e36dd09a44_c.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I've had leftovers pie for lunch & dinner for the last 2 days. The collar joint of pork we bought on Sunday has fed two of us (with many porky treats for the dog) for a rake of meals now. P-oss-ibly time for a pork break now.

bo5gHSn.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 13,704 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Last night, the night before were (and tonight will also be) Beef Florentine, which is essentially pasta bolognese baked with a layer of creamy, cheesy spinach blend in the middle. Sounds gross but it's amazing. I have a crap photo where I tried and failed to get a cross section, because I made it extra-saucy (as I'm wont to do) and it collapsed as soon as I plated it.

As an aside, thank fook for multi-night dinners, cause I've been up to my tits in work all week and we'd have been eating dry crackers every night otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,001 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

From last week:

Pan fried duck breast; soy, ginger and rhubarb sauce; Thai white rice; Pak Choi.

dEaTilq.jpg

Also Last week:

Grilled chicken thighs, cavolo nero with garlic, grilled tomatoes, red cargo rice, white wine tomato and marjoram jus.

7DWDyhw.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Mammy dinner day 3:
    Roast chicken with all the trimmings.
    Mammy dinner day 4:
    Lemon sole with lovely crispy homemade chips, sautéed mushrooms and tomatoes, and aioli.

She also made a moka cake from the Great British Bake off.

Between the food and my rapidly growing baby bump, I'll need a crane to lift me back onto the plane after this!

Is Anyone interested in an account of our meal at Gregan's Castle Hotel?
    Be warned, there are 10 pics (not great- taken with phone).

I'll stick them up if there's interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I'll sick them up if there's interest.
    I want to see them, esp. if they are anything like the last 2 pics, which are very professional looking.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

"I'll sick them up if there's interest"

Please don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Definitely

katydid wrote: »
    "I'll sick them up if there's interest"

Please don't.

lol
    Fixed!

OK here goes.
    Gregan's Castle is our annual treat (which we didn't have last year:mad:).

Bread selection with wild garlic butter, black olive butter and plain butter.

Nwe1KC3.jpg

Amuse Bouche: Smoked mussels with melon, chicken parfait with rice crispies!, onion meringues with smoked cheese and bacon, mushroom parfait in brie crisp.

OGPDji3.jpg

Pre Starter: Cured Foie Gras, Plum, Celery & Almond

vdrLzh3.jpg

Mrs Beer Starter: Lobster Raviolo, potato salad, lobster consommé.

DGEPB6o.jpg

My Starter: Barbecued Smoked Eel, Jerusalem Artichoke & Apple

E5xawfR.jpg

Mrs Beer Main: Pan roasted Halibut, Cauliflower, Grapes, Brussels sprout & Smoked Ham.

GXiS9NQ.jpg

My Main: Wild Local Rabbit, Black Budding, Carrot, Date Pureé.

CaGBbpz.jpg

Dessert: Blackcurrant Soufflé, Blackcurrant Sorbet, Buttermilk Custard

OOZGTvH.jpg

Irish Cheese selection.

LGY7UoA.jpg

Petit Four

jFbR2Ro.jpg

Amazing Meal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

TBR - I am so jealous I'm letting out little huffy snorts in work. That looks amazing. Did you have a favorite course?

TBR - I am so jealous I'm letting out little huffy snorts in work. That looks amazing. Did you have a favorite course?

I think the smoked eel and apple was probably the stand out for me.
    Foie Gras was amazing too - and I usually don't like foie gras.
    It really was all fantastic.

Washed down with a 2009 Alsace reisling and a 1999 Borolo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Aldi Angus beef burger, sauteed onion and mushroom, melting mature red cheddar, jalapeño, gherkin, mayo & sweet chilli sauce, with more gherkin & jalapeño, in toasted brioche bun. This to me, is a perfect burger. Yes, it is easy to eat. And no, I didn't need a fork and knife.

IMG_20151014_180730_zpsylsf8g4y.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Fishcakes, potato wedges and peas. I think the organic spuds in Lidl make the best wedges - crispy on the outside, fluffy on the inside.

zP7Wf8p.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

I think the organic spuds in Lidl make the best wedges - crispy on the outside, fluffy on the inside.

I absolutely agree with you. I also like Tesco's organic spuds. Ace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,772 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

What type of spuds are they? I prefer using Queens when in seasn for making wedges & roasties too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement