Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Whispered wrote: »
    Kidney bean dip/pate/collapsed burger on mini toasts with sweet potato fries and sweet chilli sauce.

Big glass of apple juice.

Followed by an argument over the last packet of crisps in the house. :)

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2015/10/19/irish-shopping-essentials/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

I made a veggie chilli (BBC recipe) and added some cocoa powder plus a little brown sugar, it was yummy.

Plus I made Paul Hollywood's Apple and Blackberry crumble using the last of the blackberries I picked recently, highly recommend. Its made using oatmeal and brown flour, plus lots of brown sugar.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,704 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Leftover bean & meatball casserole with sweet potato wedges last night. Didn't bother taking a photo as the plate was a mess and I wasn't bothered fixing it :pac:

I never seem to post much over the weekend, so Friday night was my current go-to I-couldn't-be-arsed-cooking dinner of Reuben sandwiches. Was out of sauerkraut, though.

12112114_10154259804297678_98821900437414907_n.jpg?oh=c65c0a75bccf006339da7c70722be524&oe=56C35836

Then Saturday was the comfort food extraordinaire that is twice-baked potato skins. They were beyond awesome.

12075095_10154259804037678_7726265996100856369_n.jpg?oh=4764675eabafe9cfa934f4b469ff95c9&oe=56C0F2E2

• Registered Users Posts: 13,704 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Could you link your recipe please? Sounds right up my street

Just realised I never replied to this.

It was this http://allrecipes.com/recipe/48921/beef-florentine/?internalSource=search%20result&referringContentType=search%20results, scaled to make four portions (which the site will do for you) and with a few tweaks, namely:

- After browning and draining the mince, I sautéed a full onion and two sticks of celery with the garlic, double the amount of oregano, a good pinch of dried chilli flakes and a good heaped tsp of dried basil.

- I presume "tomato sauce" in the recipe means Dolmio or the like but I prefer to use tins of tomatoes on the seasoned meat and add a little sugar and plenty of salt & pepper

- I didn't have frozen spinach so I wilted down a full bag of fresh stuff with a little butter & nutmeg, and whizzed it in the blender before mixing with another half onion, cottage cheese & parmesan

- I used fusilli instead of long pasta. It's MUCH easier to portion and eat if you use pasta shapes rather than noodles

- And lastly, I use cheddar cheese on top as for me, mozzarella just doesn't have enough of a cheesy hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭dealornodeal23

Shenshen wrote: »
    Cauliflower and broccoli makhani, with popadum, naan and coriander chutney

<Mod pic snip>
    Can I have the recipe please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Some Lamb Rogan Gosht and Vegetable Pulao from a Madhur Jaffrey book out of the freezer as the missus is away on a business trip. Tasted twice as nice as it did the first time around which was pretty good to start with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Hungarian paprika chicken with nokedli noodles made with buckwheat. So comforting after a walk in the forest.

IMG_20151020_162229_zpsdwq67wyj.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Housekeeper's cut (half price in Tesco at the weekend) slow cooked in onion gravy. With leek & cabbage, and mash. Nicest piece of beef I've had in ages.

2ywxrw5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭XplaygirlX

A lovely Stew :)

That'll last about 4 days :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

photo_zps2c4owcou.jpg

Flatiron steak, fried egg, veggies, garlic hassleback potato.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Teriyaki and sesame beef stir fry with noodles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Chicken pie again. Slightly less 'bite' to it tonight!

Big fat brie & bacon stuffed gnocchi tomorrow! G'bless you Lidl Italian week. Excited already.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Hungarian paprika chicken with nokedli noodles made with buckwheat. So comforting after a walk in the forest.

Ooh, how did you make the noodles? Buckwheat is my newest favouritest thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Thanks to these words of wisdom, I had perfect wedges, fried egg and beans. It's so basic, especially when compared to some of the above offerings but really hit the spot.
    Use a nice fluffy spud, like roosters or maris pipers. A waxy spud won't give you the result you're looking for. Cut into wedges. Par-boil for 5 minutes, then drain well and shake well until slightly rough around the edges.

Melt some solid fat in a hot oven (around 200 Celsius) (I use coconut oil) or a liquid oil if that's all you've got. Season your wedges with loads of garlic powder, salt, pepper and dried green herbs. Toss them in the hot oil and roast, turning once halfway, for 25-35 minutes, until golden on the outside and fluffy inside.

Tip: Don't crowd the pan

lJkgj5b.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

Beans on toast with a fried egg, and two big mugs of scald. Hit the spot nicely!

dibkins wrote: »
    Ooh, how did you make the noodles? Buckwheat is my newest favouritest thing.

Traditional recipe is with plain flour, but I swapped with buckwheat.

In a big bowl, whisk 2 eggs, 3/4 water and 1/2 tsp salt. Then, add in 2 cups of flour, a tablespoon at a time while mixing. Rest the batter for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, boil a pot of salted water. Give the batter a quick stir. I have a noodle grater which looks like a normal flat grater but with a Stanley scraper-like utensil to push the batter through the holes (google nokedli grater). You may also use regular grater with large holes, or colander. Place it on the pot, a serving spoonful of batter on the grater/colander and push it through with the back of a spoon. The noodles will float once cooked, which doesn't take that long really. Seconds. Scoop out into a sieve or another colander and give it a rinse with cold water.
    Can be eaten as they are if served with a well heated sauce. Otherwise, you can sautee them quickly in a pan with butter but don't let them crisp up. I don't know why but that's what I was told.

I have a plan to try out lacy pancakes (google 'roti jala') with buckwheat sometime soon. Watch this space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

Burger, chips and egg. Perfect comfort food :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Traditional recipe is with plain flour, but I swapped with buckwheat.

In a big bowl, whisk 2 eggs, 3/4 water and 1/2 tsp salt. Then, add in 2 cups of flour, a tablespoon at a time while mixing. Rest the batter for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, boil a pot of salted water. Give the batter a quick stir. I have a noodle grater which looks like a normal flat grater but with a Stanley scraper-like utensil to push the batter through the holes (google nokedli grater). You may also use regular grater with large holes, or colander. Place it on the pot, a serving spoonful of batter on the grater/colander and push it through with the back of a spoon. The noodles will float once cooked, which doesn't take that long really. Seconds. Scoop out into a sieve or another colander and give it a rinse with cold water.
    Can be eaten as they are if served with a well heated sauce. Otherwise, you can sautee them quickly in a pan with butter but don't let them crisp up. I don't know why but that's what I was told.

I have a plan to try out lacy pancakes (google 'roti jala') with buckwheat sometime soon. Watch this space.

Sounds great. I looked up the grater; it seems the nodekli are the same as German Spaetzle. I'm going to try it with my collander

katydid wrote: »
    Sounds great. I looked up the grater; it seems the nodekli are the same as German Spaetzle. I'm going to try it with my collander

Yes they're exactly the same.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Whispered wrote: »
    Thanks to these words of wisdom, I had perfect wedges, fried egg and beans. It's so basic, especially when compared to some of the above offerings but really hit the spot.

Ah I'm chuffed they turned out perfectly for you. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

A lovely Stew :)

That'll last about 4 days :D

The more its cooled and reheated the better a stew gets!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

katydid wrote: »
    Yes they're exactly the same.

SQUEALS. I miss spaetzle. I miss spaetzle a lot. Might have to be a bit of spaetzling with a colander round mine this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

I made a beef stir-fry last night. Used bavette of beef and it was really nice - it remained nice and soft after being flashed on the wok unlike the way beef usually tends to be quite tough when I used round steak. Speaking of which, what cuts do you think are best?

I used chopped chili, garlic and ginger and also peppers, spring onions, mushroom and pak choi.

Made egg fried rice too and it turned out well.

Best thing is I made heaps and have lunch sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Leftover pie again - chicken, bacon, mushrooms, potatoes & gravy. Very delicious.*

I WANT THAT PIE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptwY3ecVWTw

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Loire wrote: »
    I made a beef stir-fry last night. Used bavette of beef and it was really nice - it remained nice and soft after being flashed on the wok unlike the way beef usually tends to be quite tough when I used round steak. Speaking of which, what cuts do you think are best?

I used chopped chili, garlic and ginger and also peppers, spring onions, mushroom and pak choi.

Made egg fried rice too and it turned out well.

Best thing is I made heaps and have lunch sorted.

I use sirloin for stir fry, just flashed in the pan for a minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

I was supposed to have chicken, but it smelled weird, so in the bin it went.
    Instead, fried rice.

slack_for_ios_upload_720.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭GeneralC

Is it only certain Aldi's that sell Brioche buns?

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭XplaygirlX

GeneralC wrote:
    Is it only certain Aldi's that sell Brioche buns?

No, Tesco sell them aswell but there sweeter

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

First dinner was really tasty chicken thighs coated in a dry spice rub and grilled. For the last minute on each size I brushed them with a mix of honey and balsamic vinegar. Had them with sweet corn and potatoes

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

I made a fish pie tonight - a base of carrot, onion and celery, with a white sauce. Smoked haddock, salmon, cod and prawns. Some spinach stirred through, and a dash of lemon, cream, salt and pepper. Topped with a lemony parmesan crumb and baked til crisp. Eaten with roasted baby spuds and corn on the cob.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement