Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

It's the Wednesday Night Lull, the week night people are most likely to take a break from cooking. That's what I did and we went to Nandos tonight :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Wednesday night lull is right! I got a 50% off voucher (for today) to a new restaurant on Richmond Street South, Aoki's, so legged it down.
    (for the out-of-towners, it's quite, in fact very close to the Garda Club on Harrington Street. And Synge Street Church/school. Also Harcourt Luas station on the Green Line)

I had the chicken gyoza before I remembered my camera. Then had abocado sushi. Voila!
    WP_20151021_19_01_51_Pro_zpsykrogiki.jpg

and then beef teriyaki and sticky rice. Miso soup aswell.
    WP_20151021_19_05_07_Pro_zpss5qe27oa.jpg

my dining companion had the veg stir fry with noodles with the tantalising looking fried tofu. Tempted to steal some of that, but refrained.

Very noice! Got to practice my head bowing! (was served by a Tokyoite)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

First dinner was really tasty chicken thighs coated in a dry spice rub and grilled. For the last minute on each size I brushed them with a mix of honey and balsamic vinegar. Had them with sweet corn and potatoes

Just realised I didn't finish my post - second dinner was quarter pounder with cheese, chilli sauce & garlic mayo and a bag of chips :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Another pasty! Only 100g of flour in this one so the pastry a bit thin and crispy this time.

h55uFTY.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

Just realised I didn't finish my post - second dinner was quarter pounder with cheese, chilli sauce & garlic mayo and a bag of chips :pac:

Two dinners? You're my kind of gal :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Chicken biryani based on Curry Addict's recipe in the Cooking club, on a miserable Wednesday evening. Plenty rice left for lunch and kids' lunchbox.

IMG_20151021_193508_zps8dfsztux.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Multiple dishes made here last night as nothing suited everyone. I got a Thai red paste and was planning on making a chicken and veg curry for the baby and my husband and a veg one for me. But when I read the ingredients it's not a vegetarian paste. Then when I dolloped it onto the pan, the chilli hit my throat so I decided to make something milder for the little fella.

So my husband had chicken and veg cooked in Thai red paste and coconut milk, with bastami rice. The baby had chicken and veg cooked with a bit of ginger, Garam masala, crushed cardamom, few chilli flakes and coconut milk also with basmati rice.

Me, well I had a fried egg on toast. I just couldn't be bothered cooking meal number 3.

Does anybody have a recommendation for a Thai dish that doesn't need fish sauce or anything like that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Big fat stuffed gnocchi, crispy chicken thigh strips and a tomato sauce. No pic cos the pic looked ming-a-ding-ding

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Aldi striploins marinaded in garlic, soya and red wine. Served with corn on the cob and fried green beans. Washed down with a Corona.

Those Aldi striploins take some beating!

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭XplaygirlX

Loire wrote:
    Those Aldi striploins take some beating!

There beautiful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Leftover chicken Jalfrezi using Aldi's Specially Selected Jalfrezi sauce.
    Absolutely delicious; up until yesterday I only bought the Madras one but the Jalfrezi is way nicer:

http://screenshot.net/q76ymcq

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

fussyonion wrote: »
    Leftover chicken Jalfrezi using Aldi's Specially Selected Jalfrezi sauce.
    Absolutely delicious; up until yesterday I only bought the Madras one but the Jalfrezi is way nicer:

http://screenshot.net/q76ymcq

Oh good. I have one in the press. Waiting to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,704 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

XplaygirlX wrote: »
    No, Tesco sell them aswell but there sweeter

I think they meant do all Aldis carry them or just some branches. Not is Aldi the only retailer who sells them.

Manic week in work for me so my sister cooked tonight, which is virtually unheard of. I was too zombified to even think of taking a pic but it was baked pesto cod and it was very tasty indeed.

I'm just finishing work now and will have the same kind of day tomorrow, while she has a match to work tomorrow night, so dinner will probably be the ends of a bag of stale tortillas or somesuch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Just a simple pasta tonight for us.

I used a sun-dried tomato puree in it and its definitely added to the flavour. It's a really lovely addition, can't wait to try it in other dishes. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Beef stroganoff using M&S paste. Mucho tasty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

We wanted a lasagne type dish so last night I made cheese sauce, meat sauce and baked a box of filled pasta from lidl under a layer of both. Looked shot out of a cannon onto the plate but was very tasty. Lots of both sauces left so something similar tonight. Potentially with gnocchi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Spicy pasta and meatballs last night, so very filling. Going to make Chinese fakeaway tonight with Mayflower curry sauce, hope it's nice!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Fired up the bbq and did burgers. Yum. Neighbours must think I'm mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

beertons wrote: »
    Fired up the bbq and did burgers. Yum. Neighbours must think I'm mad.

Why not! Weather is dry and I'd do the same only we ran out of gas the last time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

We had a quick and simple dinner of pasta with smoked salmon, dill, creme fraiche and lemon. It was yum.

CeEEjQ3.jpg?1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Dr.MickKiller

Burger, gravy, garlic and rosemary wedges and snow peas.

366512.jpg

Chinese curry turned out great, just like a durty takeaway!

1447144.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭le_girl

Dolbert wrote: »
    Spicy pasta and meatballs last night, so very filling. Going to make Chinese fakeaway tonight with Mayflower curry sauce, hope it's nice!

Didn't think Mayflower sauce was available outside of the UK :eek:
    Did you happen to find it in Ireland or order online?!

I found it in Supervalu! It was in the refrigerated section, with the soups etc

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭le_girl

Dolbert wrote: »
    I found it in Supervalu! It was in the refrigerated section, with the soups etc

OMG thank you! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Riverireland

le_girl wrote: »
    OMG thank you! :D

Is it that good? I've never found a curry sauce that actually tastes like the Chinese one, would be great if one exists.

Is it that good? I've never found a curry sauce that actually tastes like the Chinese one, would be great if one exists.

It tasted exactly like it to me, apparently a lot of Chinese restaurants use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

go into your local asian shop,usually above the fridges is a curry paste called mr curry, hot or mild , add the paste to your cooked meat ,veg,pour in 3 pouches of water the paste came out of,voilla..its the very same as a takeaway
    curry .

http://kerriganmeats.ie/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/MrCurryauthencurry.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

picked up some of this phal sauce in wales yesterday on way home ,pataks ... anyone use it,if so is it the real deal?

http://www.britishcornershop.co.uk/images/large/QWOP2126.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

picked up some of this phal sauce in wales yesterday on way home ,pataks ... anyone use it,if so is it the real deal?

http://www.britishcornershop.co.uk/images/large/QWOP2126.jpg

I use their Balti paste on a fairly regular basis, lovely stuff.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement