Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Haven't been cooking anything too adventurous lately because I've had a lot on. So I decided to make some falafel last night. Didn't turn out too great as I tried to shallow fry it and it fell to bits. It was still nice but it was just a warmed spiced chickpea paste really. Gave it another go tonight, but this time I deep fried them (about an inch of oil in a pan) and added some flour to the mix. They turned out perfectly. :) Although the last few started to fall apart as I cooked them because I think I overloaded the pan.

Had them with salad, home made salsa, sriracha & mayonaise served in pita bread.

366600.JPG

Loads more mix left for tomorrow too! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Pan fried garlic chicken breast with smoked bacon lardons, finished in the oven, with a scallion and cream sauce. Served with scallion mash. Yum.

I put a tea spoon of the chive Philadelphia into the sauce, really made a difference, so tasty.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Beige dinner tonight (frozen food).

Vegetable quarter pounders, cauliflower cheese grills, and oven chips. :pac: Hit the spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Beige dinner tonight (frozen food).

Snapses.

Aldi 'specially selected' Italian meat feast pizza and frozen crinkle cut fries. And a glass* of tinto. Fries great, pizza the usual floury biscuit job.

uZYU6lr.jpg

*bottles are made of glass

• Registered Users Posts: 22,772 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Last night was a Thai/Japanese hot & sour soup with beef, greens & udon noodles.

Tonight we had Vindaloo-style curry with all the trimmings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

Chicken and green lentils on rice.

Chicken faux fillets pan stewed with green lentils, laced with garlic, chilli & panch puram, with mushrooms, diced onion & celery, chicken stock and tomato puree in support.

Legs or thighs would have been tastier but watching the kgs for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

I made a.....thing.....using this from an Asian supermarket. It was very spicy as there was a load of small green chillis in with the pickled cabbage. My sinuses were so clear I could smell colours!!!
    Othqy8kl.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Riverireland

Aldi rib roast on the bone, it's going to be yummy ☺️

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Similare to above ^^ Dry aged Dexter roast on the bone, just about to stick it in the oven, bit late as I was rescuing a cow from a drain. Irony how are ya :pac:

Will serve with record spuds, once I dig them up. And will pull some carrots too while I'm in the garden!

LAO4AN8m.jpg?3

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭nicki11

Had Thai Green Chicken Curry for dinner last night, turned out well and I'm looking forward to leftovers for dinner tonight :) I also have some apple and blackberry pie, with custard, ready for desert (its been a productive weekend :) )

• Advertisement

Falafel again, but I absolutely nailed the cooking of them this time. :)

The oil had no broken bits in it at all! Chuffed with myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I went to Havana for a bite to eat today: Calamares, croquettas de jamon, and a beer

photo%201_zpssam4rkyn.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Tasty bank holiday Sunday dinner after a day of walking in the woods. Buffalo chicken wings with spicy sweet potato chips. Himself had blue cheese dip with his, I had greek yogurt, as I can't bear the taste of feet-like mouldy cheeses.

lgis47A.jpg?1

Roast beef & roast potatoes. We're doing roasties every sunday at the moment and trying out different potato varieties. This week was Maris Pipers. They were grand but went v. waterlogged when I was par boiling them. Took an age and much venting of steam for them to get crisp. Roosters & beef dripping are the roastie kings so far in this household. The Lidl 'Hereford roasting joint' is worth a whirl - tasty, tasty beef.

kBBmrwL.jpg
    URgCLGO.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Krautnudeln - the weather is turning cold and wet and that always makes me feel like food from back home.

2ni1fkh.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

Avoca lasagne. It was delish :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

go into your local asian shop,usually above the fridges is a curry paste called mr curry, hot or mild , add the paste to your cooked meat ,veg,pour in 3 pouches of water the paste came out of,voilla..its the very same as a takeaway
    curry .

http://kerriganmeats.ie/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/MrCurryauthencurry.jpg

That Mr curry sauce is excellent , it's actually made in Drogheda by a family that own a Chinese restaurent in town, tastes exactly like their takeaway .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

Shenshen wrote: »
    Krautnudeln - the weather is turning cold and wet and that always makes me feel like food from back home.

That looks fab, Do you have a recipe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

A very spicy curry to cut through the cold I've acquired in the last few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,701 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Had the fambly over for dinner so did a massive vat of beer chilli. It was awesome, and the leftovers will be going down the red lane on top of nachos very shortly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Cedrus wrote: »
    That looks fab, Do you have a recipe?

Only an approximate one:

1/2 head of white cabbage, shredded finely
    1 onion, sliced finely
    4 - 5 sundried tomatoes
    25g (or so) of grated smoked cheese
    1/2 tsp of smoked paprika
    1/4 tsp of carraway seeds
    a little vegetable stock

250g of dried tagliatelle

Fry the onion and cabbage on a low heat in a little butter with the carraway seeds. You want them to turn soft, but not too brown. Once they're starting to caramelise, add a little stock and simmer until they're nice and soft. The stock should reduce down a bit as well. Cut the sundried tomatoes into small pieces and add them with the cheese and the smoked paprika.

In the meantime, cook the tagliatelle in some salt water. Drain and stir through the sauce.

Edit: Almost forgot, a good pinch of salt and some fresh ground pepper to finish off :D

Leftovers Monday continues. (Photos below only included to give showcase how ugly nice food can look with bad light, a middlingly talented photographerice, and a lorra wobbling hands). We made roast potato waffles, hash brown waffles and threw leftover roast beef into a savoury cream sauce with ham and mushrooms, chili & a good shake of worcestershire. Roast potato waffles were a revelation. I didn't think you could make roasties worse for you but, boom, there it is.

GFx8DOv.png
    IsoSboF.png
    fq3nuZl.png
    Y2wyV1a.png

• Registered Users Posts: 13,701 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I'm so glad you didn't post that before I had my nachos because if you had I'd be deep-stalking your post history right now for clues as to where you live.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

^^^
    Looks good to me. I'd eat it...

Roast potato waffles. Genius idea!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭AmyPL

Lemony-Garlicky-Peppery zucchini noodles with prawns and grape tomatoes. And chilli flakes.

The spiralizer is my new favourite kitchen thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Applause

Cottage pie, it had broccoli, peas and carrots in it, wish I could get the top more crispy but it was in for what felt like a decade.

586f60b13c.jpg

ae85266088.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,996 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Applause wrote: »
    Cottage pie, it had broccoli, peas and carrots in it, wish I could get the top more crispy but it was in for what felt like a decade.
    ]

I find brushing the potato with milk helps it to crisp better but you don't want to smooth out all the bumps and edges so best to do it gently half way through cooking when the potato has formed a bit of a skin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

Was craving chips today

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Riverireland

Even thought it was Tuesday it felt like a real bad ass Monday night. Cure that with a great big plate of Chinese food nom nom

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement